Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the answer to the question that probably no one asked... Where has Oldironfan been? I mean He has not posted in close to two months and only visited once or twice to read the goings on. 

I bought a new bike and took off for a few weeks to ride. 

I had been planning a fly and ride trip over the Spring. I knew I had some time to take off work around the first of June so I was looking at big bore adventure bikes in Texas, Colorado, Oregon, California, and even a few in the northeast. The plan was to fly out and buy a bike then take the long way home over a couple of weeks. All that went out the window when I found a bike about an hour and a half down the road near Cookeville, TN. 

I picked it up near the end of May and promptly tore it apart to set it up for my needs and wired in some accessories. 
I then quickly revamped my plan for a ride during my time off. 

Should I go out to the east coast and places like Cape Hatteras? Nope, the weeks following Memorial Day and the official start of summer beach season would mean traffic and tourists, lots of them. That was out. 
Should I go south to ride the Florida Keys. See above plus it was going to be hot and swampy down there. 
Should I go West toward the mountain passes of the Rockies and the deserts of Arizona or Nevada? Maybe, but the heat would probably be high in the desert and my comfort level off road with narrow mountain passes on a new bike might be an issue. 

North was the only option that made much sense so off to Canada and the Great Lakes it was. I decided I would ride around the perimeter of all the great lakes. I did make the executive decision to ignore lake Michigan and Michigan all together. Too many trips to Detroit, Grand Rapids, Benton Harbor, and Chicago for work made spending much effort on seeing Lake Michigan seem pointless. I needed to dip a toe in Superior, Huron, Ontario, and Erie. 

So June 1 I set off and headed for the west side of Lake Superior. About 10 days later I returned home with an additional 3200 miles in the bike and a bunch of memories to go with the pictures. 

My route was Nolensville, TN > Rockford, IL > Stone Lake, WI > Thunder Bay Ontario CA > Wawa Ontario CA > Manitoulin Island Ontario CA > Wiarton Ontario CA > Kingston Ontario CA > Niagara Falls Ontario CA > Erie, PA > Cleveland PA > Columbus PA > Nolensville, TN (home). 

Through it all I managed to get in about 250 to 300 miles of gravel and forest service roads in Northern Wisconsin and Canada. I camped a few night, stayed in a cabin and a bunkee a couple nights, and hit a few hotels on the way up and back. Also had to hit a hotel in Niagara Falls as there were not many camping options close by. Also snuck in a ferry crossing although it was not as enjoyable as I would have hoped due to rain and upper 40º F temperatures. 

My steed for the ride and my new commuter is my '05 BMW R1200GS that my wife has nicknamed Tucan. 
In addition to the 3200 miles on the trip I have put a about 1800 miles on locally bringing my total for the summer to 5000ish miles. 

20220608_122740.thumb.jpg.98491f97c6358e4a8195941b217d1d69.jpg20220604_131015.thumb.jpg.50f27106a98a85ce9cca5ae4a8717973.jpg

20220603_091932(0).jpg

20220603_112528.jpg

20220603_130657.jpg

20220603_173620.jpg

20220603_175700.jpg

20220606_123544.jpg

20220607_163447.jpg

20220608_123935.jpg

20220608_124107.jpg

20220604_094904.jpg

20220604_110345.jpg

20220604_121504.jpg

20220604_121513.jpg

20220604_173959.jpg

20220604_192013.jpg

20220604_192201.jpg

20220604_193825.jpg

20220605_205631.jpg

20220605_210008.jpg

20220605_210012.jpg

20220605_212414.jpg

20220606_103228.jpg

20220606_105612.jpg

• Like 9
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

What an amazing trip! I’m jealous. Thanks for sharing.

Don't be jealous, join in. I did this (and many of my trips) solo but am always looking for riding partners to take part in my craziness. 
Next year is Trans Labrador, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. 
2024 is Tuktoyaktuk, Dust to Dawson, Top of the World Hwy, and Deadhorse, AK. 

I may actually leave my bike stored in the PNW for a year and fly back out in 2025 for Vancouver Island, BC, and the Pacific Northwest. 

38 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I really love the look of those touring bikes. 

Get yourself one. They are soooooo comfortable. If you have the inseam to handle it or get a lowered version they make trips much more enjoyable. 

I actually bought this one because I had lost some of my interest in touring due to the comfort level of my other street bike. I have a sport touring bike, Honda VFR800, and I loved it for 200± miles but doing multiple 300 mile days was just not enjoyable anymore. I am actually going to take all the luggage and touring accessories off of the VFR and just return it to fun weekend corner carving duties.
This bike makes even 500+ mile days easy. I would often find myself with the fuel light on (220 to 240 miles) before I was ready to stop. I could outride the tank if you will. Previous bikes I was looking for a stop and stretch break at 100~150 miles. 
It has renewed my passion for motorcycle touring. I had not even cleaned up my unpacked gear before I had the mapping software open planning my next multi day ride. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, OldIronFan said:

Next year is Trans Labrador, Newfoundland, and Nova Scotia. 
2024 is Tuktoyaktuk, Dust to Dawson, Top of the World Hwy, and Deadhorse, AK. 

Are you able to travel with a firearm into Canada? Unloaded?

9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Are you able to travel with a firearm into Canada? Unloaded?

Yes and no. 
From my limited research on the topic you have to get paperwork approved first but you can in some cases bring a firearm in with you. 
A traditional hunting rifle is fairly easy. Bolt action, lever action, single shot and Shotguns are not a major issue. 
You can pretty much forget about any type of semi auto long gun, especially anything that resembles an AR platform weapon. 
Handguns are extremely limited. Anything with a barrel length less than 4" is strictly forbidden which knocks out a bulk of what we in the US consider a carry gun. 
You could take in say a 6" barreled revolver fairly easily as long as you file the paperwork for approval first. 

Also take note that Canada has an issue with many knives as well. I did not take my normal EDC folding knife. Fixed blades are ok but anything that is spring assisted, has a pin/post/thumb knob to assist in opening, or can be opened one handed via gravity or flipping/inertia is forbidden. I took in two fixed blade "camp" knives with my gear. Valid since I was in fact camping and had camp cook gear with me. 

They are used to and good with hunting so firearms and knives that would traditionally used by hunters are not a problem. Stray much beyond that and you will not have a good day at the border. 

• Thanks 1

I've always been a fan of the big GS bikes, but I've never pulled the trigger on one. A lot of guys ride those on genuinely off-road rides, but if I had one I'd stick to nothing tougher than a fire road, I think.  Glad you had a good trip!

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’m too in awe of the size of that front bag to consider how you’re going to ride around with all that stuff piled up in the back.

I think (hope) its not as big as it appears because its turned toward the camera. No bigger than a fairing I would guess. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

5F91E313-3EF4-4EAF-9058-4BABE59CA415.thumb.jpeg.c7708d9d12bf61581c6d7893a10686d5.jpegSo the guys on the Harley forum don’t think this bag setup is safe. They say too much weight too high and behind the rear axle. What say you guys?

As Hozzie said ,if a 2nd rider is involved the balance may be awkward at low speeds for me personally. Can't comment on the weight behind the rear axle unless I know the #. My .02

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

5F91E313-3EF4-4EAF-9058-4BABE59CA415.thumb.jpeg.c7708d9d12bf61581c6d7893a10686d5.jpegSo the guys on the Harley forum don’t think this bag setup is safe. They say too much weight too high and behind the rear axle. What say you guys?

It may be time for you to consider this may be where you're at 😄

spacer.png

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I’m too in awe of the size of that front bag to consider how you’re going to ride around with all that stuff piled up in the back.

That is the normal rear bag. My “trunk”. It is very handy. I actually made it myself.

Would you buy it if I called it a counter weight?🤫

Edited by gregintenn