Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

An appointment at the VA hospital in Murfreesboro coincided with a pretty nice day yesterday, so I road my R1200RT. The weather was just about perfect apart from some pretty big wind gusts that caught me out once or twice. 

The this morning's forecast said there was about a 20% chance of rain, so I hopped on the bike to go play racquetball. I got 80% wet about 20 minutes from home. I stopped to put on my rain gear, but it was a bit too late by then. Still, I love to ride, and the ride back home after r-ball was shirt-sleeve. 

I'm anxious to get back on my S1000RR, but I'll wait for warm weather AND totally dry roads for that bike. I just bought two new tires for it, so I need to put those on before I ride it, too. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Darrell said:

An appointment at the VA hospital in Murfreesboro coincided with a pretty nice day yesterday, so I road my R1200RT. The weather was just about perfect apart from some pretty big wind gusts that caught me out once or twice. 

The this morning's forecast said there was about a 20% chance of rain, so I hopped on the bike to go play racquetball. I got 80% wet about 20 minutes from home. I stopped to put on my rain gear, but it was a bit too late by then. Still, I love to ride, and the ride back home after r-ball was shirt-sleeve. 

I'm anxious to get back on my S1000RR, but I'll wait for warm weather AND totally dry roads for that bike. I just bought two new tires for it, so I need to put those on before I ride it, too. 

I went through a couple of pretty good showers today. I didn’t think it was supposed to do that.

• Haha 1

I bought a new wheel and tire for my bike that requires specific torque specifications for the spokes. What tool would you all recommend? I have several torque wrenches for my vehicles already but it looks like they make ones specific to bikes. 

IMG_20230302_174415179.jpg

9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I bought a new wheel and tire for my bike that requires specific torque specifications for the spokes. What tool would you all recommend? I have several torque wrenches for my vehicles already but it looks like they make ones specific to bikes. 

Truing spoked wheels is a tedious art that requires skill and patience…and a spoke wrench.   

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I’ve honestly never had to screw with them. I would expect them to come trued and torqued to spec. If not, I’d expect any of those made for bicycles would work.

Kits are readily available. This one is inexpensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Wrench-5-0‑6-8mm-Caliber-Motorbike/dp/B0BGHBY7GB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=spoke+torque+wrench&qid=1677847763&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRjc5RlNURktPRDZEJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODAyNDM2MVdDUTRXVFhIMDExRyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDg0OTU5MjUzOTc5NEhOVDE3ViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Depending upon how you ride, you'll need to adjust your spokes more or less frequently. Generally, I go through the spokes on my trials bike twice a year, but those wheels take a beating. I have a spoked wheel on the front of my Harley, and I check alignment whenever I change a tire. I've never had to adjust it.

You'll need something like a balance stand for checking runout, and a good dial indicator that can be mounted to the stand.  YouTube can be your friend.

Edited by Darrell

I've only ever used a small adjustable wrench and plucked them like a guitar string to check tension.  I'd also certainly expect the new wheel to be ready to install as received. That sprocket is looks a bicycle part.  Theres not much to it.   I guess the bike is pretty light. 

TN legislature is considering two new proposals: One, HB0042/SB1450 , will allow motorcyclists to ride without helmets, with some exceptions. The other, SB0298/HB1454, will allow lane splitting (or filtering). 

I first started riding on the street in California in the early 70's, where helmets were not required and lane-splitting was legal. I'm old now, and more cautious, and I personally would not ride on the street without a helmet, but I think that those who want to should be allowed. I REALLY like the idea of legal lane-splitting, which makes a lot of sense to me. I think the main opposition to lane splitting is that some people hate to see motorcyclists get to move a little more freely.

If you ride, check out the proposals.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Darrell said:

TN legislature is considering two new proposals: One, HB0042/SB1450 , will allow motorcyclists to ride without helmets, with some exceptions. The other, SB0298/HB1454, will allow lane splitting (or filtering). 

I first started riding on the street in California in the early 70's, where helmets were not required and lane-splitting was legal. I'm old now, and more cautious, and I personally would not ride on the street without a helmet, but I think that those who want to should be allowed. I REALLY like the idea of legal lane-splitting, which makes a lot of sense to me. I think the main opposition to lane splitting is that some people hate to see motorcyclists get to move a little more freely.

A few years ago they had a bill to allow us to use the shoulder on the interstate in cases of traffic Jams.  It failed but I liked the bill. 

• Like 2

Spent the first half of the week riding to western Arkansas with my son. Awesome weather and great roads, once we got two Missouri. Spent today heading back in a very cold wet drizzle. Soaked, cold, lots of stops to thaw out, and still smiling! Tomorrow should be better.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Smith said:

Spent the first half of the week riding to western Arkansas with my son. Awesome weather and great roads, once we got two Missouri. Spent today heading back in a very cold wet drizzle. Soaked, cold, lots of stops to thaw out, and still smiling! Tomorrow should be better.

Good Lord! That’s quite a haul on a little one cylinder bike.😃

I doubt SB0298/HB1454 will pass but it would certainly be nice. I already filter regularly, legally in states that allow it and illegally when necessary anywhere else. Just did so on Tuesday when traffic came to an unexpected stop on Briley Pkwy. I would rather take the ticket than get run over from behind by some inattentive phone reading mouth breather. 

Less than 80 days now till I depart for my next long ride. Should be a bit more than 10,000 miles this time around. Just have to burn the last off this current set of tires and get some new ones mounted next month. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I hate helmet laws, although you’ll never see me on a bike without one.

Lane splitting is a very bad idea in my mind. So is riding on the shoulder.

The shoulder bill was limited to interstate and highways.  And it was only under very specific circumstances.  And you couldn’t go more than 5 mph faster than traffic, and only to the next exit.  In my mind, it was a perfect bill to protect us and our bikes.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, OldIronFan said:

Less than 80 days now till I depart for my next long ride. Should be a bit more than 10,000 miles this time around. Just have to burn the last off this current set of tires and get some new ones mounted next month. 

I stopped by the shop Tuesday and ordered a new front tire.  I haven’t ridden mine enough cause it was dry rotted and cracked all over the sidewall.   Hope to have it installed next week.  Admittedly I haven’t ridden as much I want to.  

6 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

The shoulder bill was limited to interstate and highways.  And it was only under very specific circumstances.  And you couldn’t go more than 5 mph faster than traffic, and only to the next exit.  In my mind, it was a perfect bill to protect us and our bikes.  

Reason I say riding on the shoulder is a bad idea is mainly because that’s where all the trash and debris that causes flat tires ends up. You are well aware of how much fun a flat motorcycle tire is I’m sure.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Good Lord! That’s quite a haul on a little one cylinder bike.😃

It handled it like a champ and those twist and turns through northern Arkansas was like it was built for it.

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

I have done that very thing a couple times.  Traffic jam when it's very hot out and I started to overheat.  One of those I turned around and went backwards between the cars because that's where the closest crossover was.  I'll take a citation over heat stroke every time. 

I agree that the shoulder is a high likelihood of a puncture, so I'd rather go between the cars.  

Filtering would be ugly for a while until drivers get used to it and realize it benefits them as well. A certain percentage will never get it.  

Edited by peejman
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Reason I say riding on the shoulder is a bad idea is mainly because that’s where all the trash and debris that causes flat tires ends up. You are well aware of how much fun a flat motorcycle tire is I’m sure.

Oh I absolutely understand.  

But we are talking about 5-20 mph for usually less than a couple miles.  I’d take that chance to keep the bike from overheating or myself from getting smashed by inattentive drivers.  Tires are cheap.  Engines and hospital bills are not.   

• Like 1

Back in the 90s I used to commute from near Woodbury to Nashville on a '78 Suzuki GS1000L. It was my only vehicle for about a year. More than once when it was very cold I'd get caught in heavy traffic and an unexpected rain, so I rode the shoulder past traffic between exits. I won't lie, it was kind of scared of hitting debris on the shoulder that I couldn't see thru my wet visor, but I was more terrified of all the oil washing off the lanes and onto the shoulder. Thankfully I never had a wreck even in the snow.

• Like 1
On 3/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, peejman said:

One of those I turned around and went backwards between the cars because that's where the closest crossover was. 

One of the guys who used to work for me turned around on an on-ramp in his car when traffic wasn't moving. A motorcyclist was coming the right way, but on the shoulder, up the on-ramp. They collided head-on at fairly low speed, and the biker was deader than a doornail. Somehow the guy that was in the car didn't go to jail, but I never figured that out. Something about both being at fault, which is true, but the biker paid with his life.

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

One of the guys who used to work for me turned around on an on-ramp in his car when traffic wasn't moving. A motorcyclist was coming the right way, but on the shoulder, up the on-ramp. They collided head-on at fairly low speed, and the biker was deader than a doornail. Somehow the guy that was in the car didn't go to jail, but I never figured that out. Something about both being at fault, which is true, but the biker paid with his life.

The courts largely consider motorcyclists 2nd class citizens. There are plenty of instances where drivers got minimal penalties where a rider was hurt or killed.  I've never understood the precedent, but it exists. 

• Like 2
On 3/9/2023 at 9:38 AM, Darrell said:

I REALLY like the idea of legal lane-splitting, which makes a lot of sense to me. I think the main opposition to lane splitting is that some people hate to see motorcyclists get to move a little more freely.

After riding in CA for 35+ years before moving here, I miss that aspect the most. It mitigates traffic, but you nailed the main opposition. You could see the cagers fuming when you looked back in your mirrors at lights, some even yelling at their windshields.

The biggest danger I see would be those that had no idea of it becoming legal (if by miracle it passed), then feel its their duty as a traffic vigilante to do something about it. Even in CA you'd get the occasional chucklehead who didn't know who would swerve over at you or jump out of his car to scream at you.

4 hours ago, peejman said:

The courts largely consider motorcyclists 2nd class citizens. There are plenty of instances where drivers got minimal penalties where a rider was hurt or killed.  I've never understood the precedent, but it exists. 

Too true. Riders are all stereotyped as 'bikers', no help from the media who likes to propagate the stereotype. I see it very similar to how gun owners are perceived by non gun owning people who are easily made to support anti-gunners. Gun owner and a rider? Man, what bad seeds are we.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...