Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

4 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I detest ratchet straps. I always just hooked a pull tight strap on either side of the handle bar. Since you have it on that rack and not in the bed, I’d probable run a third one through the back wheel spokes and just cinch it down snug.

It feels fairly secure right now. I'm using the pull tight straps you mentioned. I'd feel a little better if I added an additional strap somewhere. I think I might be able to get one across the swing arm but below the chain. I'll mess around with it tonight and see what I can come up with.

• Like 1

You really need to add a block under the frame. Pulling those straps down on the suspension has castrostrophic potential as you bounce down the road. Also, it'll hold tight and not compress with the suspension. Plus, the straps are only stabilizing and not putting retention stress on parts.

Edited by Smith
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, Smith said:

You really need to add a block under the frame. Pulling those straps down on the suspension has castrostrophic potential as you bounce down the road. Also, it'll hold tight and not compress with the suspension. Plus, the straps are only stabilizing and not putting retention stress on parts.

Do they sell these blocks or do I need to make one? I do have a fork saver to help protect the fork and keep them from compressing when I hit bumps like you describe. 

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

It feels fairly secure right now. I'm using the pull tight straps you mentioned. I'd feel a little better if I added an additional strap somewhere. I think I might be able to get one across the swing arm but below the chain. I'll mess around with it tonight and see what I can come up with.

It doesn’t matter much where you put it. You just want to keep the back wheel from bouncing off in the event you hit a really rough bridge end or something.

This wouldn’t work for you because of the topper, but I always put mine in the bed with the front tire against the front of the bed, or usually the toolbox. Two straps from the handlebars to the strap hooks in the front corners of the bed was all it ever took. Never a problem.

Once you’ve ridden this some, I’d be interested in hearing you compare it with the electric bike. I’ve owned a 125 CR, so I have that point of reference. I’ve no idea what the e bike feels like.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Does anyone have a suggestion for strapping this thing down? I don't see a good place to run a ratchet strap through the middle like I did on the Talaria. IMG_20230603_120006743.jpg

I use the loop ends to make a slip knot around the forks down closer to the axle and do the same on the back around the swing arm. Some guys I know only tie down the front, but as narrow as that carrier is, I wouldn't trust it. The reason I don't use the handlebars is that you're compressing the suspension and relying on the shocks to provide stability. You can lose stiffness in the suspension and dump your bike pretty easy like that. Just my 2¢ worth.

NICE BIKE, btw. you're gonna have a blast on that!

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, BigK said:

I'm not sure putting that kind of load on the forks is such a good idea. I've trailered my bikes plenty and always just stopped a few miles down the road the snug up the straps. There's no need to crank it down until the suspension is bottomed out, that's bad for the fork seals. 

I've also got a hitch hauler like that and strap it at the bars and passenger pegs. You've got to go slow when it's bumpy, it'll wobble around a bit. 

40 minutes ago, BigK said:

I use the loop ends to make a slip knot around the forks down closer to the axle and do the same on the back around the swing arm. S

I don't see a place on my bike to do this. Haven't found a way to run it through the swing arm either. 

I found a place to run a ratchet strap through the middle that only touches the frame. I added a bungee cord to the rear wheel to keep it from lifting. Cycle Gear didn't have any wheel straps in stock. 

Now it feels even more secure. Think this is secure enough for a 35 minute drive to Windrock tomorrow?

IMG_20230603_185025621_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230603_185036192.jpg

IMG_20230603_185238593.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I found a place to run a ratchet strap through the middle that only touches the frame. I added a bungee cord to the rear wheel to keep it from lifting. Cycle Gear didn't have any wheel straps in stock. 

Now it feels even more secure. Think this is secure enough for a 35 minute drive to Windrock tomorrow?

I think so. Grab it and see if you can move it around with your hands. If not, it’ll ride. Unless you’re going over some very rough terrain at high speeds, it really doesn’t take a lot to keep the bike in place.

That actually looks like overkill to me, but that isn’t a bad thing.

Edited by gregintenn
  • 2 weeks later...

So I won't bore anyone with a really long ride report here but I just got back yesterday from nearly 3 weeks on the road. 

Left before Memorial Day headed west. Went through Arkansas, Oklahoma, the Panhandle of Texas and into New Mexico. 
From New Mexico I wandered north into the corner of Colorado and into southern Utah. Spent a few days in Canyonlands National Park, Arches National Park, and the Moab area.
From there I went through Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley toward the Grand Canyon. Spent a couple days in Grand Canyon National park including one day off the bike to hike the South Rim and part of Bright Angel. 
Left GC NP and went south picking up old Route 66 and followed the mother road over toward Las Vegas to meet a friend for lunch at In-N-Out before moving on to Death Valley National Park. 
Spent 3 days in Death Valley riding Mustard Canyon, 20 mule team canyon and part of Titus Canyon. Unseasonably cool when I arrived at 103ºF but got closer to normal on my last day at 111ºF. 
Left DV NP and headed over to the Searles Valley and China Lake area to spend the night there. 
I then set out south toward Joshua Tree National Park and the Salton Sea area before ending up in San Diego for a night. 
Went to the beach before sunrise to start my coast to coast ride back east bound for the Atlantic ocean in Jacksonville Beach. I got into Jacksonville beach about 44 hours later completing my 50CC Quest (Ironbutt Association Coast to Coast run in 50 hours or less). 
After some rest in Jacksonville I wandered up toward North Carolina and eventually the Richmond Virginia area for the 50th annual BMW MOA National rally. 
After the rally I wandered back toward Tennessee getting home yesterday evening. 

I dumped the fully loaded bike in Canyonlands National park and dislocated by thumb which did make things a bit tougher with my throttle hand the rest of the trip especially considering I dislocated it 4 more times since it is really prone to
repeat dislocations after the first one until it has a chance to heal. 

I did encounter some serious cross winds in New Mexico and West Texas which caused a couple of unplanned lane changes and one tangle with a tumble weed. 

20230605_135136_resized.thumb.jpg.e7e0456765abc30cc1c4b6c8f2696e54.jpg

Stats:
16 days and 15 nights on the road. 
Total distance; 7232 miles
States visited/crossed; 17
Number of National Parks; 6
Number of State Parks; 2
Gas Used; 188.67 gallons
Number of fuel Stops; 43
Max paid for gas; $6.069 / G (In Death Valley CA) 
Min paid for gas; $2.829 / G
Avg payed for gas; $3.869 / G
Total Spent on Fuel; $707.49
Camping Nights; 4
Cabin/Yurt/Bunkhouse Nights; 3
Hotel Nights; 8

20230530_095858_resized.jpg

20230530_095904_resized.jpg

20230530_103520_resized.jpg

20230530_195659_resized.jpg

20230529_164422_resized.jpg

20230530_095858_resized.jpg

20230530_140505_resized.jpg

20230601_090752_resized.jpg

20230601_092521_resized.jpg

20230601_112747_resized.jpg

20230601_172727_resized.jpg

20230602_061729_resized.jpg

20230602_061840_resized.jpg

20230602_091912_resized.jpg

20230602_125710_resized.jpg

20230529_122028_resized.jpg

20230529_135658_resized.jpg

20230529_143917_resized.jpg

20230529_145105_resized.jpg

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, BigK said:

That is an epic ride!! I didn't even put that many miles on my bike in the past 2 years. You are the man!!

Ended up with close to 25k miles on that bike in the last 12 months, about 4k on a different bike in the same time span. 
I have a short trip, 2000~2500 miles, planned with the wife this fall and a couple shorter solo trips planned for the rest of the year as well, ~1500 miles each or so. 

I was supposed to go to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland this year but that got delayed so I will probably try to fit that in next year.  This trip to the Southwest was the replacement for that postponed trip. It is hard to get in all the trips I want to take in with only 3 weeks of vacation. 

• Like 2
On 6/3/2023 at 5:53 PM, Erik88 said:

I’m guessing this worked? I expect you could turn the truck over and it would still be in place.

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

I’m guessing this worked? I expect you could turn the truck over and it would still be in place.

Yes it worked well enough. I'm still experimenting with different ways to strap it down. 

• Like 1