Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

I have an R1200RT and I love it. It's not too expensive to own if you do your own maintenance, as I do. Parts are readily available and maintenance intervals are reasonable. I've not had to adjust the valves on mine at all (2017) I keep checking, though.

I've also got an S1000RR and it's been very reliable so far. BMW's cost quite a bit up-front, but they're reliable and well-built.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Darrell said:

I carry rain gear when there's a legitimate threat. My Frogg Toggs have been with me for many years, and they work great. EXCEPT that if it's warm you may as well save the effort, as you'll be in a sauna. My main complaint with riding in the rain is having to clean the bike afterward.

No one makes anything large enough to fit me.   I’m a huge dude. 

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

No one makes anything large enough to fit me.   I’m a huge dude. 

I worked with a big guy. For some reason, he would up with a Sportster. I don’t think he’d ever had a motorcycle before. He looked like a circus bear riding a child’s bicycle. 😄

3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I worked with a big guy. For some reason, he would up with a Sportster. I don’t think he’d ever had a motorcycle before. He looked like a circus bear riding a child’s bicycle. 😄

That’s probably why so many people take pictures of me and laugh at me at stop lights.  Jokes on them, I’m on two wheels. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Oh, also, my nine year old niece told me she wants a Harley so I’m about to be in the market for a sporty that we can fix up over the next few years. 

• Like 2

2 weeks ago sold my Triumph Tiger 800 and DRZ400, and just picked up a DR650. talk about a 1 bike quiver-lol.

Its not bad on the road, hell I cant even shift into 5th til I'm doing 60. But I'm going down a tooth in the front so that might change a bit.

Took it in the woods on Thurs, nothing super hard but it did great. SO much lighter than the Tiger in the woods, and not much heavier than the DRZ. With a few changes (gearing, better seat and lower pegs) this will be a do-it-all bike for me.

Wish I did this years ago. And the funny thing is, when I started getting into ADV bikes 10-12 years ago I started with a DR650. But I was always looking for something better. Had a Husky TE610, KTM 525EXC, Husky 650 Terra (great bike), BMW 800GS, and the Tiger 800XC. All had their pro's and con's. But the DR does everything OK, so it will be a keeper (for now-lol)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tom B said:

2 weeks ago sold my Triumph Tiger 800 and DRZ400, and just picked up a DR650. talk about a 1 bike quiver-lol.

Its not bad on the road, hell I cant even shift into 5th til I'm doing 60. But I'm going down a tooth in the front so that might change a bit.

Took it in the woods on Thurs, nothing super hard but it did great. SO much lighter than the Tiger in the woods, and not much heavier than the DRZ. With a few changes (gearing, better seat and lower pegs) this will be a do-it-all bike for me.

Wish I did this years ago. And the funny thing is, when I started getting into ADV bikes 10-12 years ago I started with a DR650. But I was always looking for something better. Had a Husky TE610, KTM 525EXC, Husky 650 Terra (great bike), BMW 800GS, and the Tiger 800XC. All had their pro's and con's. But the DR does everything OK, so it will be a keeper (for now-lol)

I wish you luck with it. For me, I discovered years ago the phrase "dual purpose" is a myth, whether it be a boat, motorcycle, etc It meant the bike/boat could do two things, both at a mediocre level.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I wish you luck with it. For me, I discovered years ago the phrase "dual purpose" is a myth, whether it be a boat, motorcycle, etc It meant the bike/boat could do two things, both at a mediocre level.

Well, at my age I dont ride fast in the woods. Its more like exploring. I dont need a fancy suspension. The DRZ was great for that, but it sucked on the road getting there. Plus the DR is lower, I can touch the ground with both feet.

I just think that for what I will be doing, this DR will be a great replacement for the other 2 bikes.

• Like 3
On 4/21/2023 at 8:51 PM, Capbyrd said:

That’s probably why so many people take pictures of me and laugh at me at stop lights.  Jokes on them, I’m on two wheels. 

I ride my wife's 150cc Vespa all over the place. I'm sure I look ridiculous since I weigh more than the scooter, but it's actually more fun to ride than my Super Tenere.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2023 at 10:32 PM, BigK said:

I ride my wife's 150cc Vespa all over the place. I'm sure I look ridiculous since I weigh more than the scooter, but it's actually more fun to ride than my Super Tenere.

In addition to the 2 Valkyries, I have a Yamaha Zuma 125. It's a lot of fun to ride. I can jump on it and go to the corner store and back before one of the Valkyries even gets fully warmed up. Saves a lot of wear on the big bikes.

BTW, my hunt for an 80's UJM is over, as I sealed the deal today on this 1983 Suzuki GS 850L.

GS850A.thumb.jpg.6d4647dcdd5903fdf965c84100d3b562.jpgGS850B.thumb.jpg.98c016436c8ce9ea1bad8070fbe08c8d.jpg

It has about 16k miles on it and meets 3 of my 4 preferred criteria. (disk brakes, yes, shaft drive, yes, cast wheels, yes and water cooled, no)

Water cooled would be less negotiable if this was a daily commuter or if I was still in Texas.

Once I go through it, I can unload one of the Valkyries. Until then my garage space is NIL.

#firstworldproblems

Jay

Edited by jaytex1969
  • Like 4
3 minutes ago, jaytex1969 said:

In addition to the 2 Valkyries, I have a Yamaha Zuma 125. It's a lot of fun to ride. I can jump on it and go to the corner store and back before one of the Valkyries even gets fully warmed up. Saves a lot of wear on the big bikes.

BTW, my hunt for an 80's UJM is over, as I sealed the deal today on this 1983 Suzuki GS 850L.

GS850A.thumb.jpg.6d4647dcdd5903fdf965c84100d3b562.jpgGS850B.thumb.jpg.98c016436c8ce9ea1bad8070fbe08c8d.jpg

It has about 16k miles on it and meets 3 of my 4 preferred criteria. (disk brakes, yes, shaft drive, yes, cast wheels, yes and water cooled, no)

Water cooled would be less negotiable if this was a daily commuter or if I was still in Texas.

Once I go through it, I can unload one of the Valkyries. Until then my garage space is NIL.

#firstworldproblems

Jay

Man! That looks good.

13 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I went back to Windrock today. As much as I love this bike, I now want to get a gas dirt bike. 

I may sell this one and pick up a small cc Honda. 

IMG_20230507_120613274.jpg

IMG_20230507_131012953_HDR.jpg

As I’ve never ridden an electric bike, I’d like to ask why? That sure looks like a barrel of fun.

I can confidently tell you this. I’ve never once regretted owning anything with a Honda nameplate on it.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

As I’ve never ridden an electric bike, I’d like to ask why? That sure looks like a barrel of fun.

I can confidently tell you this. I’ve never once regretted owning anything with a Honda nameplate on it.

Nothing wrong with the bike but I'd like to be able to stay out at Windrock most of the day and not worry about running out of battery. At least with gas I could head back to my truck and top off.  I could invest in a better battery but they aren't cheap. 

I really enjoy this little bike though. It's been the perfect bike to learn to ride on. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

My car, my bike and my lawn mower are Honda. If they made a toaster, I'd buy it!

Jay

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jaytex1969 said:

#firstworldproblems

Jay

Love that Suzuki. I used to have a GS. It was a great bike.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jaytex1969 said:

That one is chain drive. 79?

Good eye...very close, chain driven 1978 Suzuki GS100L. My uncle had it in a storage shed in his back yard. I bought it off him for $800 and sold it for $800 nearly 15 years later with high miles and lots of big maintenance due that I couldn't afford.

• Like 1

Anyone think I would regret buying this?

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/trail/crf125f-big-wheel

Apparently both kids and adults ride this model. I'm 5'8 160lbs. There are lots of YouTube reviews from adults who enjoy this bike. It's a 4 speed with a clutch. Fuel injected. Drum brake in the rear which I don't love. Kawasaki makes a similar model with slightly bigger engine, 5 speed, and disc brake in the rear but it's carbureted. I know both make great engines.

• Like 1

@jaytex1969 I didn't even know Suzuki made a shaft driven bike back then. I almost bought another bike last year, but it had a chain and I promised myself I'd never do chain maintenance again. LOL It's hard to find anything besides a cruiser or a high dollar BMW that has shaft drive.

2 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Anyone think I would regret buying this?

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/trail/crf125f-big-wheel

Apparently both kids and adults ride this model. I'm 5'8 160lbs. There are lots of YouTube reviews from adults who enjoy this bike. It's a 4 speed with a clutch. Fuel injected. Drum brake in the rear which I don't love. Kawasaki makes a similar model with slightly bigger engine, 5 speed, and disc brake in the rear but it's carbureted. I know both make great engines.

I share your hesitation about the carburetor. Honda makes a darn good bike. You can hardly ever go wrong with team red. I LOVE this idea of lengthening the swingarm to fit taller tires because that's one of the biggest factors for off-pavement riding. That was a really smart idea.

At your size/weight I don't see a downside. It hasn't been long since Supercross and motocross stopped using 125cc bikes. In fact, last season or the one befoe a rider actually ran a 4-stoke 125cc in the 250cc class and did surprisingly well.

I think you'll be too busy picking bugs out of your smile to have regrets, unless you plan to be making 30' jumps. 🙂 I'm jealous, if I was 160lbs I wouldn't hesitate to get a 125cc trail bike.

• Thanks 1