Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

4 hours ago, Darrell said:

My Ducati 1098S last summer:

IMG_0147.JPG.ab128d1de4af7c9d84f8410d22afac90.JPG

And right now:  It's more work to take the body panels off than to do the valve adjustment. Forks coming off as soon as the engine is back together.

IMG_0242.JPG.1138d73e1a7bd8cd23a7047263420948.JPG

I don't miss that...  It took 4hrs to check the valves on my CBR and 2 days if they needed to be adjusted.  It takes me about 30 minutes to adjust the valves on my XT.

I made the mistake of riding a couple days ago. It was warm when I rode to work, but dropped to 22F on the way home around 5am! 

I made it from Briley Parkway on the west side of Nashville to Mt Juliet. I had to hop off for fuel and to warm my hands as they were going numb and tingling. lol

While I fueled up, I kept my hands in the gloves and kept them on the motor. Once I got the feeling back, I headed on the Lebanon.

Next time, I'll make sure to check that weather app really well! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, JohnC said:

but dropped to 22F on the way home around 5am! 

Been there a couple of times, and it isn't much fun. I remember riding home one night when it got so cold I couldn't squeeze the clutch lever. Fortunately my hand was frozen into a hook and I just hauled my whole arm back. Fun times!

• Like 1

Yep... feet, ankles, and knees become very reluctant to move. Makes stopping for a traffic light exciting. I also learned the trick of putting my gloved hand on the side of the engine to warm them up while riding. The left hand is pretty easy, the right hand takes some coordination. 

At my old job, there was a bread truck that went the same way I did in the mornings. When it was cold, I'd tuck in behind him to stay out of the wind most of the way. 

If you go the route of heated gear, get a vest. If your hands or feet get cold, crank up the vest and your body will naturally warm your extremities. 

Edited by peejman
2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I made the mistake of riding a couple days ago. It was warm when I rode to work, but dropped to 22F on the way home around 5am! 

I made it from Briley Parkway on the west side of Nashville to Mt Juliet. I had to hop off for fuel and to warm my hands as they were going numb and tingling. lol

While I fueled up, I kept my hands in the gloves and kept them on the motor. Once I got the feeling back, I headed on the Lebanon.

Next time, I'll make sure to check that weather app really well! 

I haven’t ran into that yet, but I was on a bike at high school one day when school was let out early for snow. We lived way out in the sticks. That was a long, cold ride home. All I ever wore then was a tshirt and a denim jacket.

One constant that nearly always holds true for me is the farther you get from home, the harder it rains.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
54 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I motorcycle like I golf.   Over 50 degrees on the low side

In my previous life, aka when I was "younger", my go/no go cut off was 29.9 or above I rode the motorcycle. I was in my 20's and 30's doing that. I am 55 and want no part of that madness now. LOL

• Like 3

Years ago I rode my ‘98 Wide Glide to work in the morning so I could take it to the dealer at lunch for service.  It was about this time of year.  Favorable weather prediction and it did get up to like 60 by noon, but it was freezing that morning!  Made it to the parking garage that morning and started backing into a spot.  Was so cold I just fell over.  Before that I never knew how fast I could pick up 630 pounds.  😀

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, Darrell said:

I ride a BMW R1200RT these days (among others). It has heated grips, a heated seat, an electrically adjustable windscreen, and has great weather protection.  And I no longer commute so I don't need to ice up my beard anymore.

What year? Mine is a 2016. LOVE this thing!!!!

R1200 RT.jpg

We're preparing to move out of crazy Oregon to oh, so perfect for us TN. Riding there is one of the things I so look forward to. I have a 2001 Harley Fatboy and a 1986 Harley FXRC. The latter is a beauty I inherited from my dad. Lots of sentimental value, plus I like old school (my daily driver is a nice 66 mustang). I'm thinking about selling the Fatboy before we move and eventually get a touring bike for exploring TN and so that my wife will want to ride with me more.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, j2a said:

We're preparing to move out of crazy Oregon to oh, so perfect for us TN. Riding there is one of the things I so look forward to. I have a 2001 Harley Fatboy and a 1986 Harley FXRC. The latter is a beauty I inherited from my dad. Lots of sentimental value, plus I like old school (my daily driver is a nice 66 mustang). I'm thinking about selling the Fatboy before we move and eventually get a touring bike for exploring TN and so that my wife will want to ride with me more.

Depending on which part of TN you're in, the riding can vary greatly. Lots of rural areas to ride in, certainly. But from (say) the Cookeville/Manchester area to the eastern TN/NC border is where the best riding is. Options of riding in the valleys for the flatter roads to taking to the mountains for the twisties (Ducati/BMW!), there's plenty for everyone, IMO. Dealer support is good too, especially in Chattanooga. 

My advice is to avoid the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area like the plague. Bumper-to-bumper traffic almost all the time. Ride the Dragon once just to say you did it & then avoid that one too. Lots better options out there with minimal traffic.

I'm down in the SE TN corner, where we do all the kayaking & rafting. Perfect motorcycle riding territory too. Let me know if you need help on anything?

Edited by bobsguns
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, bobsguns said:

With the Ducati & BMW, I'm very surprised you keep the Harley?

I love motorcycles... just about any motorcycle. The Harley has a whole different feel than my other bikes, more relaxed, a bit more elemental. The BMW is my "go to" ride, it'll do everything, but sometimes I want to rip it up on the Ducati, and sometimes I just want to putt on the Harley.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Depending on which part of TN you're in, the riding can vary greatly. Lots of rural areas to ride in, certainly. But from (say) the Cookeville/Manchester area to the eastern TN/NC border is where the best riding is. Options of riding in the valleys for the flatter roads to taking to the mountains for the twisties (Ducati/BMW!), there's plenty for everyone, IMO. Dealer support is good too, especially in Chattanooga. 

My advice is to avoid the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area like the plague. Bumper-to-bumper traffic almost all the time. Ride the Dragon once just to say you did it & then avoid that one too. Lots better options out there with minimal traffic.

I'm down in the SE TN corner, where we do all the kayaking & rafting. Perfect motorcycle riding territory too. Let me know if you need help on anything?

Haha, funny you mention dealers in Chattanooga because I got a harley shirt at the dealer there when we visited TN last summer. And we went to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge so we're not looking at property in that part of TN. Fun to visit but I did hate the traffic. 😆

Being a harley guy, I'm not as much of a twisty rider as I am a relaxed rider. All's good to me, but I'm just not looking to zip through twisty roads like some are. Those people tend to leave me in the dust. 😆

Road King was the other model I was considering when I bought my Fatboy. Love Road Kings. But when I replace the Fatboy I think I'm going full on bagger (still Harley) for duo/long rides so I can justify owning 2 bikes 😆 (my 86 FXRC is becoming my go to for solo/shorter rides). Plus I think that'll help entice my wife into multi-day bike trips which sounds super appealing to me as we're approaching empty nest status.

I ride more in the fall/winter than I do summer. I can stay warm easier than I can cool off and I just don't tolerate heat and humidity like I did when I was young. 

Coldest I have ridden is 18º F. I did have a heated vest and heated grips to help but it was still a bit chilly. I good with anything above 30 as long as there is not significant risk of ice/black ice/snow. 
I find the 40's and 50's more comfortable than 90+ in the summer. I was riding out west a few years back when it was 113º F. and it was like riding in a blast furnace, pretty miserable. 

If I can ever get the seat redone on the kat, I wouldnt mind joining. Long trips suck ass on it.

I did get to ride an indian chief dark horse for a week during biketoberfest. Will pick one up in a heart beat over a harley. And I have owned three harleys.

20210414_190007.jpg

20211014_175436_HDR.jpg

Edited by RC3
On 2/19/2022 at 1:14 PM, Ironhandjohn said:

I ride my ‘02 Road King to work every day it’s not raining or very cold. I’d post pictures but they’re too big & im not sure how to resize them here. 

You can add them thru the add filed option.