Motorcyclists, Check In Here!

JohnC

So.  I was on my way home from work back in October.  Came upon a cyclist on the side of the road missing his head and right arm.  The right arm was in my left lane and the head was nowhere to be seen.  The cycle was about 100 yards ahead (no pun intended.)  The dashcam video is... unforgettable.

Edited by Daniel
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So.  I was on my way home from work back in October.  Came upon a cyclist on the side of the road missing his head and right arm.  The right arm was in my left lane and the head was nowhere to be seen.  The cycle was about 100 yards ahead (no pun intended.)  The dashcam video is... unforgettable.

And your point?

“Motorcycle bad!”  

Don’t buy one. 

We all know they can be dangerous.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1

I think he is referring to a video he posted before about this and it was a motorcycle.   Basically reiterating his view that riding a motorcycle is dumb.  Fine, don't ride one.

Edited by Hozzie

I tell my wife that if I die on my bike she'll know I was grinning and maybe singing in my helmet 10 seconds before I bit the dust.  I spent 25 years as a volunteer fireman / EMT and saw a lot lost limbs and grievous head injuries at car wrecks. It happens.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Thank God no one ever dies in a car. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

i had a Brother once that said if he ever dies, he hopes it would be on his motorbike. He got his wish in 1976. I saw him buy the farm and I can tell you, at least on a bike, he didn't suffer much as far as I could tell. 

The crotch rockets are IMO, way, way too easy to get in trouble with. More than likely the guy lost his head on one of those. Then there are the hog riders that can never ever....ever forget, they dont go around turns any faster than Granny on her way to Church. Iv been toying around with selling my bike latly. Between a not so great back and so little R&R time.... My wife says no, but IDK, Its a shame I dont ride so much any more. I did some neat mods to it tho. Can't complain on the 76 mpg with 50 hp in a 429 lb bike. Fuel injection IS the way to go on these scooters. Never scraped a peg or stand on this puppy.

jqd5ukRh.jpg

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 2

Had a couple Harleys then went to dual sports. I really like that type of riding. Started out on a TW200. That thing was a billy goat. It would go anywhere! I went up to a 650 BMW, but too heavy for my confidence off road, so I sold it and bought a new CRF Rally 250. Great weight, and will cruise the highway fast enough for me. Yep, we need a TGO ride.

DSCN2427 (2).JPG

• Like 6
10 hours ago, 221 Fireball said:

Had a couple Harleys then went to dual sports. I really like that type of riding. Started out on a TW200. That thing was a billy goat. It would go anywhere! I went up to a 650 BMW, but too heavy for my confidence off road, so I sold it and bought a new CRF Rally 250. Great weight, and will cruise the highway fast enough for me. Yep, we need a TGO ride.

DSCN2427 (2).JPG

I like the look of that one a lot. It seems the CRF Rally is now a 300. Do you think that's too much power for a new rider? Also, in a emergency, could a 2nd person fit on the back of that? I can't tell if there is a 2nd set of foot pegs or not.

Also, love the ammo box. Was that easy to mount?

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I like the look of that one a lot. It seems the CRF Rally is now a 300. Do you think that's too much power for a new rider? Also, in a emergency, could a 2nd person fit on the back of that? I can't tell if there is a 2nd set of foot pegs or not.

No, definitely not too much power, not enough probably for expert riders who ride hard in dirt. Me, I'm an easy rider, LOL. Yes, if you look at the tail bag I have on the rear of the seat, if I take it off, you could ride two up. I've ridden the wife on back many times, there's fold out passenger pegs.

Ammo can was easy to mount. Lined it up to the rear rack and drilled holes in the ammo can to match mounting holes on the rear rack. Bolted it down. It's so sturdy, you could stand on it and water proof too.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, 221 Fireball said:

No, definitely not too much power, not enough probably for expert riders who ride hard in dirt. Me, I'm an easy rider, LOL. Yes, if you look at the tail bag I have on the rear of the seat, if I take it off, you could ride two up. I've ridden the wife on back many times, there's fold out passenger pegs.

Ammo can was easy to mount. Lined it up to the rear rack and drilled holes in the ammo can to match mounting holes on the rear rack. Bolted it down. It's so sturdy, you could stand on it and water proof too.

Thanks. I just noticed Honda calls it the CRF300 but when I pulled up the specs it's actually 249.6cc. They really rounded up!  

Did you get the ABS version? I see this one is liquid cooled which I assume is more complex but probably "better" depending on who you ask?

Edited by Erik88

You must be looking at the 250 specs. The new 300 is larger, it's actually 286cc. 

I did not get ABS. I've spent my lifetime riding and owning about a dozen bikes and only one had ABS, the BMW. It's personal opinion, but I don't think it's necessary on lighter weight bikes, and you definitely don't want it when you're riding off on some trails up and down hills. However, if I ever bought another Road King, I would definitely have ABS! I had a few panic lock up slides on my non ABS Road King, and it was always scary! LOL

Edited by 221 Fireball
16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

There's no such thing as too much power, only not enough traction.  🙂

But seriously, it's all in the connection between your brain and right hand.  I've seen people start out on 1000cc sport bikes and do just fine. I've seen people pile in on a 125 during the MSF course.  It takes all kinds. 

My XT gets 75-80 mpg.  It uses the same amount of gas in a week as my SUV does in a day. 

I have a hitch hauler and it's handy. Though if Tellico is your destination and that CRF is what you want, just ride it there. 

And yeah, splashing in the puddles is the fun part.... 

i-cFGpXjw-L.jpg

• Like 5
13 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I think he is referring to a video he posted before about this and it was a motorcycle.   Basically reiterating his view that riding a motorcycle is dumb.  Fine, don't ride one.

My dad’s cousin got killed on one and my in-laws both died on one back in 2013, so my riding days are probably in the past.  I don’t fault anybody for riding, but I do tell every biker I know to please be careful and try to be smart.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Thanks. I just noticed Honda calls it the CRF300 but when I pulled up the specs it's actually 249.6cc. They really rounded up!  

Did you get the ABS version? I see this one is liquid cooled which I assume is more complex but probably "better" depending on who you ask?

ABS is controversial in some circles.  A lot of new machines have the option to turn off rear ABS when offroad, but leave front ABS on.  I personally think unless you have a lot of experience, having front ABS is a benefit, especially on the main roads.

I don't think a 300 is too much for a new rider, you just need to give yourself some time before going balls out.   I also think a 250 is fine for most in this class.

As to a second rider, I suppose in an emergency you could do it, but you wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis.

I have been looking for a while and my biggest issue is finding one that doesn't look like it has been beat to crap if used.   I think I have decided on the KLX simply due to the adjustable shocks since I am a bigger guy.  Now to decide what I want to spend.

I really like this one, but he is a bit high.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/634724584284864

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I like that a lot as well. Is it safe to assume most of the manufacturers are about equal in terms of reliability? I assume like a lot of other purchases it comes down to personal preference. 

For Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha I would say yes.  

• Like 1