38 special question

loadedp3at

I like the 38 special in most all flavors.  I carry an old model Ruger vaquero sheriff stoked with 173 grainers n a heavy charge of 2400 that will develop about 1200 fps out of the 3 3/4 barrel in 38 special cases from time to time.

I also like all flavors of " j " frames with full wadcutters at 38 special velocities as well.  Used ta carry one quite a bit.  

leroy...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, leroy said:

I like the 38 special in most all flavors.  I carry an old model Ruger vaquero sheriff stoked with 173 grainers n a heavy charge of 2400 that will develop about 1200 fps out of the 3 3/4 barrel in 38 special cases from time to time.

I also like all flavors of " j " frames with full wadcutters at 38 special velocities as well.  Used ta carry one quite a bit.  

leroy...

Skeeter Skelton load?

1 hour ago, res308 said:

Skeeter Skelton load?

I'm thinking it is... 12.5 grains of 2400 in the 38 special case with standard primers n a heavy crimp.  I remember loading some with 13.5 as well.  That one wuz a bit too heavy to suit me. 

I found the 12.5 load to be powerful n accurate in the big frame vaquero...

leroy...

That's the old .38/44 High Velocity load. Predecessor to the .357 magnum. It should only be used in strong, large frame guns. It won't blow up smaller framed guns, but it will accelerate and cause un-necessary wear.  Plus its downright unpleasant to shoot in smaller guns. 😵

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I found a box (20) of Speer Gold Dot Short Brl 135 Gr +P 38Sspl  while in Charleston S C this week.  I really like them for my snubies, if one purchases and carries store bought ammo for S D. I will not carry reloads for Self Defense use. They had 2 boxes but would only allow me one. They wanted someone else to have a good day, which is all right with me.

Edited to add; Thursty, New York City law used this ammo for years with success is their back up guns. Study their findings. They had sucess with expansion from snubs. Plus P ammo aids expansion from snubs but has more recoil than most regular ammo. If I am not wrong, they(NY) still use Speer +P for those who carry snubbies for backup guns now. My favorite ammo is Cor Bon DPX, in 38Spl or 357 Mag but it is hard to find. I have a small stock but need some new SD ammo. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1
On 2/21/2022 at 8:23 AM, Grayfox54 said:

That's the old .38/44 High Velocity load. Predecessor to the .357 magnum. It should only be used in strong, large frame guns. It won't blow up smaller framed guns, but it will accelerate and cause un-necessary wear.  Plus its downright unpleasant to shoot in smaller guns. 😵

Unpleasant is exactly right. I used to load some 13.5 gr. 2400 loads with 158 gr. cast. It was fine in a large frame but, out of a small frame 2" it wasn't fun.

• 1 month later...

A 4" 38 is just a cool gun.

It's hard to justify that size gun for EDC or even open carry with the availability/capacity/reliability/weight/size/ballistics of modern automatics.

There is one use for the wheelguns that I think is often overlooked: exotic ammo delivery platform. ...and not just snake shot. Take feeding issues out of the equation and it makes a few newer rounds more viable and more interesting.

The examples that comes to mind specifically are the Leigh Defense xtreme penetrator or xtreme defense because they push the limit with modern ammo technology. I normally stick with the more traditional bullet designs for ammo HST, Ranger, Gold Dot, XTP, Corbon etc., but the Lehigh stuff, scratches some weird steampunk sci-fi itch, especially in a wheelgun.

I really like rounds loaded with the xtreme defense projectiles for my 442. This one's different because the traditional, "reliable expansion" doesn't need to be achieved to be effective. Another thing to note with these projectiles is that reputable ammo companies are developing loads with these.

http://www.black-hills.com/shop/honeybadger/38-special-honeybadgerp/

https://www.underwoodammo.com/38-special-p-100-grain-xtreme-defender.html

spacer.png

• Like 1

I love a pocket 38 loaded with +P ammo.  Have had several and all have been faves for carry

If you are looking to getting a snubbie, I would suggest finding one with 6 round capacity, 

Reloading a revolver in a defensive situation means..."You are dead."

If there were 7 rounders of reasonable dimensions, I would get one of those,

8 hours ago, seez52 said:

Has anybody seen and self defense 38 special ammo on the shelf lately? If you can find any it's either 158 RNL or 135 fmj. I shoot mostly reloads but would like to have some factory SD ammo.

Not on the shelve.  The last I bought was some Winchester 158gn SJHP .357, about a year and a half ago. As soon as I saw it, I snapped up the two boxes they had, 

I was at my LGS the other day and looked at a Taurus 856.  The guy behind the counter, said they had a box in reserve for each pistol they had for sale.  But there was none on the shelf.  He said it was lead round nose.

You can find it online, though.

• Like 1

An important part of the snubby equation that newbs need to be aware of is 2 or 2.5 " barrel vs 3. Both my j frame guns wear 3" barrels simply due to the fact making a clean relatively fast ejection comes with the 3" barrel ejection rod. Not so much on a snub's short stroke ejection rod. Alot of folks that buy a snub nose go to smiths and want to know why they have to finger pick out the 38 casings half the time.

My long nose snubs Rossi 88, Taurus 941, Taurus 94 w/ 9rd mag cylinder

3H29uT9l.jpg

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

An important part of the snubby equation that newbs need to be aware of is 2 or 2.5 " barrel vs 3. Both my j frame guns wear 3" barrels simply due to the fact making a clean relatively fast ejection comes with the 3" barrel ejection rod. Not so much on a snub's short stroke ejection rod. Alot of folks that buy a snub nose go to smiths and want to know why they have to finger pick out the 38 casings half the time.

My long nose snubs Rossi 88, Taurus 941, Taurus 94 w/ 9rd mag cylinder

3H29uT9l.jpg

I just slap the ejecton rod and they pop right out (S&W)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, abrowntn said:

I carry a S&W model 10 or a model 15 4 inch IWB strong side. Quite comfortable. Looking for a model 19 to ccw that next.

What holster do you carry the 4 inch in? Does it can't or straight drop? Do you ever have a problem drawing with that length barrel?

5 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

What holster do you carry the 4 inch in? Does it can't or straight drop? Do you ever have a problem drawing with that length barrel?

I use a We the People kydex holster with a straight draw and it is fine, but I am upgrading to a JM Custom Kydex holster now. They are much better quality. That one will cant. No problems drawing with that barrel. Practice makes perfect!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I bought a RIA Model 200 .38 Special Yesterday. Looks good, and has a lot of good reviews online. Haven't shot it, or my Tisas 1911 .45 yet but, will soon.

I had a Tisas that was good but I have heard some are rough. The revolver has good reviews. I like my 357 but it is heavy. thought about cutting the barrel down but there is the cost to do that.😁

• Like 1
On 2/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, pop pop said:

You younger "whipper snappers", enjoy your youthful abilities. Agent Orange, and age has had a detrimental effect on my later years, however I have found "Jesus Christ" so I got the dying taken care of.  Listen up guys! IMO, it ain't bull hocky. Peace with death in life, belief in Jesus Christ is the answer.  Bible says He is the only way, and "I believe it." 

Pop Pop, I lost my dear Uncle Buddy to Agent Orange, and so I sympathize with you for the fight you’re in. He went with (at the time) an experimental treatment they offered him and he went to Texas and had the treatment. It worked beautifully for him and I want to say that he got six or seven more years out of it, before it came back. At his funeral, I was taken completely off guard by my cousin (Buddy’s son) when he told me that, after going through some kind of testing himself, his DNA had been affected by it as well, but his sister had not! He then told me that his own son was undergoing some blood tests as well, to see if he too had been affected! Terrible, terrible, terrible. I thank you for your service and wish you only the best….….

ahem…and, speaking of The Best, I’m filled with joy at your latest prognosis….Eternal Life! I’ll gladly be your witness, my Brother, that you have indeed “..confessed with your mouth the Lord Jesus Christ…”

I’ve come to appreciate that Jesus Christ being the One Savior for all Mankind is, by far, the most provable FACT in history. God does not want “blind faith” from any of us as that would be total folly. He told us to “Seek, and ye will Find.” It’s there, for us all. In my early twenties, I had become disgusted with “religion” and, as many of us surely have, I set out to find the truth. I wanted to prove, beyond a shadow of any doubt, and to my everlasting shame I admit here that I was going to disprove the Christian message. The result of this, right at three years later, was me on my knees, crying like a little child, begging the Almighty to forgive my ignorance. I accepted Christ then and there, all alone (or so I thought). From that day over 20 years ago I’ve only found more proof. For me, the dealbreaker came by observing the lives of the Disciples…how they hid in absolute shame and fear after witnessing the Lord Crucified…but then you read about how their lives changed, their superhuman accomplishments, and the real kicker….how they died! If these men conspired to fake the Resurrection of Jesus, what possible benefit could be derived from going willingly and happily to a gruesome martyr’s death? Think about this…you’re a veteran, perhaps you’ve faced the reality of your own demise as you went on a patrol outside the wire? I can tell you from my own experience that, while pretending to be brave, I was literally scared to death! My fear came from the chance of an instant death….not from being crucified upside down or sawed in half by a wooden saw! What one thing could’ve transformed these mortal men, cowardly and jealous of their own lives, into Warriors for God, who went cheerfully to an agonizing death? Perhaps they saw death Conquered? “Oh Death, where is thy sting?” When you realize that Jesus Christ defeated death at the Cross, and that He paid the Ultimate Price for you, me, all who accept Him….well, then my friend, YOU will live again! I, like you, no longer fear my physical demise, but rather look forward to when “He shall wipe away all tears”!!! Yes sir, that’ll preach!

Oh, i came here to say that I also carry a .38 snubby on my ankle, as a backup. I alternate weeks with a little Walther PPK/S, but I actually prefer the revolver. I have a real habit of getting off topic when I see Christ mentioned, but I try to eventually come back to the matter at hand hahaha. Bless you, pop pop! 

• Like 2