Time to contact Committee Members for bills this session

This is the listing of Representatives that hold real sway over the outcome of 2nd Amendment restorative bills this session.  As you can see, the Republicans have a numerical advantage in the Criminal Justice Committees, sub 9-2 and full 13-4. 

Understand this, if we fail to achieve good progress, it is not because of Democrats.  Bill are killed in committee, that is the purpose of them, to give cover to the entire assembly.  The reasons there is no recorded vote in committees is to hide the facts and allow the general members to say they did not vote against a certain bill while campaigning.

Republicans on Criminal Justice Sub-committee:
Chairman Clay Doggett, Michael Curcio, Andrew Farmer, Bruce Griffey, Dan Howell, Leader William Lamberth, Debra Moody, Lowell Russell and Jerry Sexton.

Democrats:

Bill Beck and G.S. Hardaway.

Republicans on Criminal Justice full committee:
Chairman Michael Curcio, Vice Chair Jerry Sexton, Scotty Campbell, Clay Doggett, Andrew Farmer, Bruce Griffey, David Hawk, Dan Howell, Bud Hulsey, Leader William Lamberth, Debra Moody, Lowell Russell and Paul Sherrell.

Democrats:
Bill Beck, Vincent Dixie, G.A. Hardaway and London Lamar.

With the advent of re-districting this year, each of these elected employees of our is faced with the challenge of getting re-elected.  This is the year to make our voices heard, contact these members and support the initiatives that are important to gun owners.  Be polite and know your issue, when you e-mail or call, be brief but show knowledge of the public chapter the bill affects.  Numbers matter, incite your contacts to join in advocating.

Contact info for committee members (sub and full):

Republican:
Chairman Clay Doggett, Phone: (615) 741-7476, rep.clay.doggett@capitol.tn.gov

Chairman Michael Curcio, Phone: (615) 741-3513, rep.michael.curcio@capitol.tn.gov

Chairman Andrew Farmer, Phone: (615) 741-4419, rep.andrew.farmer@capitol.tn.gov

Bruce Griffey, Phone: (615) 741-6804, rep.bruce.griffey@capitol.tn.gov

Dan Howell, Phone: (615) 741-7799, rep.dan.howell@capitol.tn.gov

Leader William Lamberth, Phone: (615) 741-1980, rep.william.lamberth@capitol.tn.gov

Debra Moody, Phone, (615) 741-3774, rep.debra.moody@capitol.tn.gov

Chairman Lowell Russell, Phone: (615) 741-3736, rep.lowell.russell@capitol.tn.gov

Vice Chairman Jerry Sexton, Phone: (615) 741-2534, rep.jerry.sexton@capitol.tn.gov
Scotty Campbell, Phone (615) 741-2050, rep.scotty.campbell@capitol.tn.gov

David Hawk, Phone (615) 741-7482, rep.david.hawk@capitol.tn.gov

Bud Hulsey, Phone: (615) 741-2886, rep.bud.hulsey@capitol.tn.gov

Paul Sherrell, Phone (615) 741-1963, rep.paul.sherrell@capitol.tn.gov

Democrat:

Bill Beck, Phone, (615) 741-3229, rep.bill.beck@capitol.tn.gov

Vincent Dixie, Phone: (615) 741-1997, rep.vincent.dixie@capitol.tn.gov

G. A. Hardaway, Phone: (615) 741-5625, rep.ga.hardaway@capitol.tn.gov

London Lamar, Phone: (615) 741-3830, rep.london.lamar@capitol.tn.gov

Outside of calling asking your representative to co-sponsor good bills, get in touch with the committee members and ask for their vote to let the House debate and pass or fail the issues.

Bills I consider important this year:

HB 1898 by Grills renames enhanced and concealed handgun carry permits as enhanced and concealed firearm carry permits.

HB 2323 by Grills As introduced, permits a private citizen to threaten to use deadly force in making an arrest without being subject to certain limitations.

HB 2521 by Sexton revises various provisions governing the prohibition or restriction of weapons at meetings or on property owned by a private or government entity GOA bill

HB 2524 by Sexton ss introduced, eliminates the criminal offenses of possession of a firearm or club with intent to go armed from 39-17-1307.

HB 1375 by Todd lowers age to allow permits (if amended).

HB 2770 by Todd As introduced, requires any person or entity posting signage prohibiting the possession of firearms on a property to accept custodial responsibility for the safety and defense of any person authorized to carry a handgun

HB 2777 by Todd  As introduced, grants a defendant who has been charged with a criminal offense based on the use of force or threatened use of force and who asserts that the force was justified by law the right to at least two justifiable use of force hearings prior to trial, at which the prosecution has the burden to prove by clear and convincing evidence that the use of force was unlawful; requires the court to dismiss the criminal charges and find the defendant immune from criminal prosecution if the prosecution fails to meet that burden.  Judge Carter Act.

HB 2554 by Hurt  As introduced, expands the definition of "law enforcement officer" to include a person who has been issued an enhanced handgun carry permit.

All but the HB 1898 by Grills are in Criminal Justice Committee, his is in Civil Justice, and I have no idea why, Firearms bills are supposed to be heard in Criminal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Swang said:

Thanks for the heads up, I have massive concerns with redistricting as it has always been used to benefit the democrats

They had absolutely noting to do with it this time.  Watching the discussion prior to the vote to accept it, there was a ton of weeping and gnashing of teeth from the Democrats...

On 2/14/2022 at 11:08 AM, 300winmag said:

Hopefully the NRA lobbyist does not come in and mess up good bills in order to claim credit for something.  

My hope is that he comes in and assist in getting good bills passed, and I don't care who takes credit, as long as they get passed.

Somehow I missed HB2554 and it’s companion bill when you first posted this list. If enhanced permit holders are defined as LEO for the purpose of carrying firearms, then there will be very few restrictions on carrying with the enhanced permit. I think they probably need to add some language that would force private venues to recognize the enhanced permit as the equivalent of a badge for carrying purposes, but even as written, it is a large step forward. Sadly, I will be surprised if this bill passes either chamber in its current form, as I expect (especially in the Senate) the moderates will leave it to die in committee.

11 hours ago, TN Native said:

Somehow I missed HB2554 and it’s companion bill when you first posted this list. If enhanced permit holders are defined as LEO for the purpose of carrying firearms, then there will be very few restrictions on carrying with the enhanced permit. I think they probably need to add some language that would force private venues to recognize the enhanced permit as the equivalent of a badge for carrying purposes, but even as written, it is a large step forward. Sadly, I will be surprised if this bill passes either chamber in its current form, as I expect (especially in the Senate) the moderates will leave it to die in committee.

The intent is to allow enhanced permit holders to carry anywhere an OFF DUTY officer can carry, as two separate TN Supreme Court Cases have held that an off duty officer is merely a Citizen. 

19 hours ago, Garufa said:

@WorriedmanThanks for keeping us up to date on what’s moving through the state legislature and your tireless efforts in promoting 2A legislation.

Had a chance to do an interview with Chairman John Ragan from over your way.  He seems to be an outstanding individual.  I had never even spoken to him before, but he appears to be made of the Right Stuff!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1579723?client_source=large_player&iframe=true&limit=20&referrer=https://www.buzzsprout.com/1579723.js?player=large&limit=20&container_id=buzzsprout-large-player-1579723-limit-20#

Edited by Worriedman