HB 1898 on notice for Civil Justice Sub-committee

This bill would move long guns into the enhanced permit system.  It is in my estimation a very worthwhile move.

If you agree, I suggest calling and emailing the committee members with your support.

Chairman Lowell Russell rep.lowell.russell@capitol.tn.gov 615-741-3736

Chairman Michael  rep.michael.curcio@capitol.tn.gov  (615) 741-3513

Chairman Andrew Farmer rep.andrew.farmer@capitol.tn.gov  (615) 741-4419

Representative Johnny Garrett rep.johnny.garrett@capitol.tn.gov (615) 741-3893

Representative Bruce Griffey rep.bruce.griffey@capitol.tn.gov (615) 741-6804

Representative John Ray Clemmons rep.john.ray.clemmons@capitol.tn.gov  (615) 741-4410

Representative Antonio Parkinson rep.antonio.parkinson@capitol.tn.gov (615) 741-4575

• Thanks 1

Dept., of Safety asked the sponsor to Roll the bill a week, not sure why...37 States allow open carry of loaded long guns, 2 that allow with permits.

We did not win our Liberty with handguns only, TN is known for its Riflemen in the quest for Freedom, Kings Mountain, Horseshoe Bend, New Orleans...John Sevier, John Coffee, William Carroll, David Crockett, Alvin York and a host of others, most with their personal rifles who stood in defense of our State and Nation, most as Volunteers who took their Right to long guns from tyrants who would deny them.

Department of Safety sent a squad to the Sponsor's office to try and insist he pull the bill.  Their stance was that  they (most likely Commissioner Jeff Long and his sidekick Terry Ashe) did not want people walking around with AKs and ARs (even though 37 other states allow loaded long gun carry sans permits and 2 others with a permit).  When he showed them a picture of an AR Pistol and told them it was legal now to carry the same action with a short barrel, easily concealable, they told him no, you could not...and yes, you can.  Would I, no, but can I legally, yes indeed.

Were they trying to bluff, or are they that uneducated as to the facts?

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1
On 2/26/2022 at 7:30 AM, Worriedman said:

Department of Safety sent a squad to the Sponsor's office to try and insist he pull the bill.  Their stance was that  they (most likely Commissioner Jeff Long and his sidekick Terry Ashe) did not want people walking around with AKs and ARs (even though 37 other states allow loaded long gun carry sans permits and 2 others with a permit).  When he showed them a picture of an AR Pistol and told them it was legal now to carry the same action with a short barrel, easily concealable, they told him no, you could not...and yes, you can.  Would I, no, but can I legally, yes indeed.

Were they trying to bluff, or are they that uneducated as to the facts?

I’m guessing uneducated.  I’m always surprised by the lack of knowledge of firearms laws by many LEOs.

A few years after we got our HCP were were not allowed to walk into armed to the corner gas station that sold beer,or a food joint that served booze,school parking lots and other things . I was involved with TFA and would bring up at meetings that some states after and before us allowed firearm to be carried almost anywhere even long guns with a Carry Permit and we needed to start chipping away at this and it fell on deaf ears. Now many years later we are now trying to get it in place and this is wth a Super Majority in place.  I am glad to see it but this and other things should have been worked in place years ago.

10 hours ago, Will said:

A few years after we got our HCP were were not allowed to walk into armed to the corner gas station that sold beer,or a food joint that served booze,school parking lots and other things . I was involved with TFA and would bring up at meetings that some states after and before us allowed firearm to be carried almost anywhere even long guns with a Carry Permit and we needed to start chipping away at this and it fell on deaf ears. Now many years later we are now trying to get it in place and this is wth a Super Majority in place.  I am glad to see it but this and other things should have been worked in place years ago.

Simple answer, Beth Harwell and Glen Casada, Bill Haslam and Bill Lee.  The Governor sends out their "team" and tells the Speakers what they will allow and what not to pass.  We have been working on those issues you mention non stop from our side, we just have had no help from the Establishment.

One must needs to have sponsors willing to put their positions in the Caucus on the line, a Speaker willing to put their thumb on the scale in our direction by assigning such legislation to the committees where their appointed chairs will move a bill along.  We are hoping that Sexton's desire for the Governors seat in '26 is impetuous enough to at least get some movement.

I welcome suggestions to achieve these goals you reference. 

Edited by Worriedman