Question about police parked on the side of the road at night

jeff43

I  travel a lot at night, early morning from Murfreesboro going home from work. I see a lot of law cars /SUV’s backed into a spot or sitting on a cut through at the media at night with their spotlight shining across lanes of traffic.So when you pas by them the spot light shines through your car as you go by. Anybody know what the purpose of this is?

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Probably to make someone panic and do something stupid so they have reason to pull them over.

Do  you guess they would like it if you shined one back at them when you drove by😂😂

Edited by jeff43
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
38 minutes ago, TGO David said:

May have left it on by accident?

No, I don’t think so. I’ve seen them numerous times doing that. There is some purpose to it, just don’t know what. Thought some of y’all might know. Just curious.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
29 minutes ago, jeff43 said:

No, I don’t think so. I’ve seen them numerous times doing that. There is some purpose to it, just don’t know what. Thought some of y’all might know. Just curious.

I serve with a couple of deputies every Sunday.  I'll ask them next time.  🙂

• Like 1

So I was leaving Big Bend NP Friday night.  Late.  On the long highway headed towards the interstate I passed multiple LEOs. State Trooper, County Sheriffs, and what I assume were city police.  They would just park facing my direction of travel on the opposite side and twice I had them pull out and follow me for ten miles or so.  The speed limit was like 75 and I was going 70 with cruise control on so no reason to follow me.  After a while they would just slowly drop back and then pull over again.  Now, is BBNP on the border? Yes.  Were they checking my tags for warrants? possibly but no reason to do so.  I figured they were just hoping I'd swerve or do something so they could pull me over.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 4
9 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

My guess and this is a guess but I would say they were just doing their job and working at catching bad guys. If your not doing anything wrong then you don't any reason to worry about it. JMHO

they base their stops off "matched the description."

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

. If your not doing anything wrong then you don't any reason to worry about it. JMHO

I hate this line so very much.

Just let them listen to your calls, what's the big deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

Just let them search your car, what's the bid deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

Just let them pull you over and try and find something on you. What's the big deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

Just let them read all your messages, what's the big deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 3
5 minutes ago, felinesNfreedom said:

I hate this line so very much.

Just let them listen to your calls, what's the big deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

Just let them search your car, what's the bid deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

Just let them pull you over and try and find something on you. What's the big deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

Just let them read all your messages, what's the big deal if you are doing nothing wrong?

I get it, but that’s kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison and not exactly a slippery slope.  Following someone on the highway for a couple miles is in a different zip code from searching your house or scanning your emails. 

At least SOMEBODY is doing something near the border. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Moderators

Well, if the bill currently in the state legislature is passed, then those folks won’t be parked there anymore because we all know that it’s really all about revenue generation.

https://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2022/02/tennessee-bills-would-end-civil-asset-forfeiture-opt-state-out-of-federal-program/

• Like 4

I think the main thing here is how the spotlights are blinding people as they drive by the Deputy/Officer/Trooper or whoever. I dont do it and neither do anyone else I know. I haven't seen it either when driving on interstates. People saying that they are doing it to see if you have seat belts on ? Man, you must have some good eyes because there's no way I could see inside a moving vehicle and  determine anything if a vehicles is going 70+mph in the dark with a blinding light shining on it for a fraction of a second. At very rare times LEO will spot light cars to check for certain ones if they are looking for a felony suspect that has just happened near that area and the make color and model of the car is know that the suspect left in.  But just sitting in he median or road side with the light on is a hazzard to drivers and could blind them. I would say it's accidental and the person left it turned on. I have did it before with overhead lights. But if this is a repeated thing over and over again i say it's intentional and you could call 911 and say that a unit in the area is blinding drivers with a spotlight turned on.  

• Like 6
On 2/21/2022 at 3:18 PM, Daniel said:

So I was leaving Big Bend NP Friday night.  Late.  On the long highway headed towards the interstate I passed multiple LEOs. State Trooper, County Sheriffs, and what I assume were city police.  They would just park facing my direction of travel on the opposite side and twice I had them pull out and follow me for ten miles or so.  The speed limit was like 75 and I was going 70 with cruise control on so no reason to follow me.  After a while they would just slowly drop back and then pull over again.  Now, is BBNP on the border? Yes.  Were they checking my tags for warrants? possibly but no reason to do so.  I figured they were just hoping I'd swerve or do something so they could pull me over.

I've had them follow me like that, when I know I've done nothing wrong too. I usually just pull over and see if he pulls over too. Maybe I'll find out what the hell he wants.

• Like 3

Funny thing.  I found out earlier this week that the brand new tag I picked up on Feb 11 was marked as expiring Jan 31.  You know. 11 days before I got it.  The county clerks office is supposed to be sending me a new registration card and sticker but the 5-0 didnt stop me for it.  The guard didnt want to let me on base though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I've had them follow me like that, when I know I've done nothing wrong too. I usually just pull over and see if he pulls over too. Maybe I'll find out what the hell he wants.

Yeah I’ve had that happen in Murfreesboro,Woodbury and McMinnville. Come flying up behind me and follow me for a while about 6 or 8 feet behind me  . I’d LOVE to brake check them when they do that.

• Haha 1