Legal training on CCW.

I got my first Handgun Permit back in 1992. Yep, that was before the statewide permits. 🙄

I used to shoot IDPA. I think my shooting skills are about as good as they're gonna get for a decrepit old man. I'm too old to be running up and down ranges in classes with a bunch of young bucks. 

However, I could use a refresher on the rules and laws of concealed carry and self defense. I have neither the time nor patience to wade through all the current laws. I've considered taking the on-line course for the Concealed Handgun permit. But I don't need the certificate or particularly want to spend the money. Does anyone know of a source for the on-line course that's free?  Other alternatives? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

I got my first Handgun Permit back in 1992. Yep, that was before the statewide permits. 🙄

I got mine about a little before you. If I’m not mistaken they were issued by Sheriff Jack Owens. He was a kick ass sheriff. His “jump and grab” policy had all of the Memphis and Shelby County dope boys pissing their pants. 

Back to your question. I’m not aware of anything free. 

Edited by Links2k

For the self-defense portion of the knowledge you are looking for, I would start with a copy of Andrew Branca's book The Law of Self Defense Principles.  It isn't exactly free but the $8.95 S&H he'll charge you to get a copy is as good as free for the amount of information and detail.  He has some other offers there as well. He posts to his blog and YouTube as well.

link to the offer if you want to check it out.

https://get.lawofselfdefense.com/v1-full-freebook-lp/b.html

and his site:

https://lawofselfdefense.com/

Links I believe you're right. Back then I believe it was four 2 hour evening law classes plus range qualification.  Only certain calibers, makes and models of guns were allowed. You had to  qualify annually and could only carry the gun you qualified with. You were required to carry a $100,000 bond. And the permit was only good in Shelby County. 

Boy was I glad when statewide CCW was passed. 👍

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Links I believe you're right. Back then I believe it was four 2 hour evening law classes plus range qualification.  Only certain calibers, makes and models of guns were allowed. You had to  qualify annually and could only carry the gun you qualified with. You were required to carry a $100,000 bond. And the permit was only good in Shelby County. 

Boy was I glad when statewide CCW was passed. 👍

Indeed. I remember I showed up to the range on Walnut Grove with a single action pistol and was turned away. I had to reschedule my shooting test. I believe that was the weekend I purchased my first Glock from Guns and Ammo. 

21 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I used to shoot IDPA. I think my shooting skills are about as good as they're gonna get for a decrepit old man. I'm too old to be running up and down ranges in classes with a bunch of young bucks. 

However, I could use a refresher on the rules and laws of concealed carry and self defense. I have neither the time nor patience to wade through all the current laws. I've considered taking the on-line course for the Concealed Handgun permit. But I don't need the certificate or particularly want to spend the money. Does anyone know of a source for the on-line course that's free?  Other alternatives? 

You can take one of the approved online courses for the course cost of between $19 to $39. They are all listed on the state web site. 
I don’t know of a free one. If I find one I will post it. 

Edited by TennesseeCamper
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

Indeed. I remember I showed up to the range on Walnut Grove with a single action pistol and was turned away. I had to reschedule my shooting test. I believe that was the weekend I purchased my first Glock from Guns and Ammo. 

We didn't use the public range on Walnut Grove. We qualified on the Sheriff's Dept range located inside the Penal Farm. 

Yeah SA pistols were a no-no. As i remember the only guns allowed were Colt, S&W or Ruger revolvers. Pistols included those three along with Sig and Glock. Must be DA/SA or DA only. Calibers could be .38, .357, 9mm or 45. Simply put, us civilians were only allowed what was approved for use for Deputies. My carry gun was a 3rd Issue Colt Detective Special. I still have it. 😉

The course of fire was the standard LEO qualification course.  5,7,15 & 25 yards. Minimum score was 70. I shot a 92. 😃

For all you newer guys, see what we had to put up with back then?  🙄

• Haha 1