Best handgun with collecting value

starncannon

Are you taking about pure collecting or as investments? I think the days of guns as investments are coming to an end. Most of the collectibles have pretty much topped out in value. It would take a very long time to see any decent return on collectibles bought at today's prices. 

For pure collectibles. You really can't go wrong with older models of name brand guns. Winchester, Remington, Colt or Smith & Wesson come to mind. These will always be popular. 

Personally, I think one of the hidden gems is the old Ruger "Six" Series  DA revolvers. Excellent guns, no longer made, but still reasonably priced. 😉

• Like 1

I’m thinking the U.S. property marked .45 acp.  The prices just keep climbing.  If your on the CMP list, you can get a service grade for $1050.00.  Lesser grades are cheaper.  Now go to your LGS and see what their price is.

Edited by Beltfed
  • Like 3

Pre-lock S&W revolvers seem to be the up and coming thing. Prices for guns made in the 1960s through the 1980s are increasing in value. But S&W has made so many of them, condition is everything. A LNIB  common revolver can easily top $1000+. Uncommon models or barrel lengths bring a premium. And it seems that these days that blue is more desirable than stainless. 

The Model 65 is a fine gun. Check the usual mechanics. Timing, crane  alignment, push off and such. Finish wear isn't so much a problem with stainless, but check under the grips for hidden rust. The 65-4 should be from around 1988. When you get it, send me the serial number and I'll check my book. 😉

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

I was kind of kidding about the Glocks but they bring outrageous prices with The box  and manuals. Just the manual will sell for a few hundred dollars

You are not far off actually.  Those 1st gen guns bring mega bucks 

• Like 1

cheap is relative term.  I don’t see anything “cheap” worth a chance today but pay little attention.  S&W night guard series about doubled in a few years, because discontinued.  Look for things like this.  Uzi pro is probably a good one today. Out there new, but recently discontinued. Three years from now someone will pay more then you paid today because everyone can’t get one. 

“Cheap” hoard ammo and primers until the next shf. I sold off my 7.62x39 8M3 for fair today’s price.  Probably never see 8m3 rounds again but it’s kind of  internet hype, there’s better options IMO 

• Like 1
On 2/24/2022 at 1:40 PM, starncannon said:

Thank you all. I love it, will keep a eye out. I got a S&w 65-4 coming . I hope it is good. Any tips on what to look for ? 

Timing/cylinder gap/damaged side plate or screws. 

On 2/24/2022 at 3:12 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Pre-lock S&W revolvers seem to be the up and coming thing. Prices for guns made in the 1960s through the 1980s are increasing in value. But S&W has made so many of them, condition is everything. A LNIB  common revolver can easily top $1000+. Uncommon models or barrel lengths bring a premium. And it seems that these days that blue is more desirable than stainless. 

The Model 65 is a fine gun. Check the usual mechanics. Timing, crane  alignment, push off and such. Finish wear isn't so much a problem with stainless, but check under the grips for hidden rust. The 65-4 should be from around 1988. When you get it, send me the serial number and I'll check my book. 😉

I've been keeping my eye out for a well worn but serviceable Model 29.  Basically one that has been well cared for but used to the point that it is no longer desirable as a collector/showpiece/safe queen.  My intended purpose was a sidearm for pig hunting and I didn't want something that I was going to have to worry about beating up.  It seems that such examples are nearly non existent.  I'm starting to think that no one actually used those.   

• Like 1

I absolutely hated my first gen Glock 17, so I rarely fired it, and when I did I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Imagine my surprise when I found out that it was "collectable". I had the tuperware box and paper work.  I sold that pistol and bought a really nice one with the proceeds and I can actually hit a target with it!

11 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I've been keeping my eye out for a well worn but serviceable Model 29.  Basically one that has been well cared for but used to the point that it is no longer desirable as a collector/showpiece/safe queen.  My intended purpose was a sidearm for pig hunting and I didn't want something that I was going to have to worry about beating up.  It seems that such examples are nearly non existent.  I'm starting to think that no one actually used those.   

Let's cry together on this one. Many years past, I was in a semi-local gunshop during a Turkey Day Sale. Found myself looking over a shelf of S&W magnums. Three sort of reached out and grabbed me by the cojones. A Lew Horton 629, a Model 19-2, and a Smith Mountain gun.

I couldn't seem to make a decision...so the clerk suggested I just buy all 3.  So I did. Wife had a fit when I got home. How much did you spend?

I told her the truth. All three came to just under 1K. I'm sure I won't see that again. At least I wouldn't think so.

I still have the others, but I sold the 629 to a co-worker a few years later for 750 and was very happy. That let me more than clear the others. But I sure have regretted letting that 629 go. And a Lew Horton model at that.

Of course, most of the younger guys won't know that name. Just trust me. It might have been the best of the lot.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1