Comments by Representative Brandon Ogles on 2nd Amendment

During the presentation for HB 1735, the bill that takes permitted and permitless carry down to the Constitutional age of 18, these were the comments by Rep. Ogles (R Franklin)

I attempted to have a meeting with him afterwards to discuss the difference in his understanding and the facts of the Constitution with respect to the issue of the 2nd Amendment and the meaning of the words but he did not have time...

I sent him a treatise on the use and meaning of the term well regulated at the time of the Founding, but he has not responded.

This was his take on the issue:
Rep. Brandon Ogles on 2nd Amendment. 

Edited by Worriedman
  • Wow 1
19 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

He’s very well May be the next governor.

Lots of machinery seems to be positioning for it right now. 

Brandon, or Andy Ogles who is currently Williamson County Mayor? 

He would have to stave off Speaker Sexton's run for that seat, and with evidence like posted above, I can not believe the great unwashed in Tennessee  would put Brandon in that position.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
3 hours ago, Worriedman said:

Brandon, or Andy Ogles who is currently Williamson County Mayor? 

He would have to stave off Speaker Sexton's run for that seat, and with evidence like posted above, I can not believe the great unwashed in Tennessee  would put Brandon in that position.

You’re correct.  I only saw the Ogles in the text above. They’re cousins I think?

I guess we’ve got at least one too many Ogles in Tennessee politics. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I guess we’ve got at least one too many Ogles in Tennessee politics. 

I hope that any members here who are in Brandon Ogle's district will start lighting up his phone and filling his email box over these comments.  He needs to feel a lot of heat over these comments.

It is important that as many as can, contact his office and let him know your thoughts.  As a member of the Civil Justice sub committee, he not only represents his district, but the entire State.  Members of the GA take that responsibility on when they accept appointments to such committees. 

If he is not publicly chastised he will be emboldened.

We have important bills in his sub committee and full committee this week, he needs to be contacted, often...

Edited by Worriedman

I'm re-reading one of James Fennimore Cooper's novels, "The Prairie", written in 1827,, and in it one of the characters makes a comment about his time spent with a military unit:

"I made a forage or two among the Cherokees, when I was a lad myself; and I followed Mad Anthony,[10] one season, through the beeches; but there was altogether too much tatooing and regulating among his troops for me"

At that time, 1827, "regulated" didn't mean what it means today. More important, I think, is Scalia's analysis that the first clause of the amendment simply stated one of the reasons for the second clause. Had the first clause been the entire reason for the amendment, there would have been no need for the second at all.

• Like 1