Swedish Mauser Markings Question

I got this Swedish Mauser a little while back, but haven't been able to figure out the "M66" stamped on to the right side of the butt of the stock. I looked around online and couldn't find any information on my own so I was wondering if anyone on here knew anything. 

The year of manufacture is 1917, it was made at Carl Gustav, and seems to have been unmodified.

Thanks for any information!

IMG_20220225_135422201.jpg

It always struck me as strange that the Swedes put such good workmanship and quality parts into their rifles and then used a countersink screw that looks like it came from Asia via home depot to attach the bore data disc to the stock.

The four small holes behind the number is where a range plate was attached.  The Swedes went to a 139 gr spitzer boat tail bullet in 1941 that had a different trajectory than the blunt nosed heavier bullet load previously used.  Rather than replace the sights on rifles already in service they attached a metal plate to show the shooter where to set the existing sight to zero the gun for the new ammo at various distances.  Paper decals were attached to some rifles and shellaced over.  The plates and decals were placed upside down so the shooter could cant the rifle and see the information right-side up.  The plate could have been removed when the sights were changed out later or by a previous owner who didn't like the looks of it.

Deciphering markings on European military rifles is a study unto itself.  In addition to the official manufacturing markings which are well documented, various units and organizations like regional militias, as well as armorers in repair and refurbishment depots, had their own markings which may or may not have been well documented.  

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Here are the additional pictures you asked for. As for the stock there are no additional markings other than some crown proofs if I remember correctly. The stock is still full length and has all components if that helps.

serial resized.jpg

date resized.jpg