Things to see/do in Townsend

Gateway to Cades Cove is #1 on my list for Townsend. Otherwise for me its shaping up to be an extension of jeep rentals, moonshine BS, and all around nauseating tourism that now defines the smokies. But the CC loop is still nice. Hope you make a time of it regardless 👍

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Tuckaleechee Caverns opens March 1st, if you can get excited about a big hole in the ground.  You can also float around on a tube for awhile along the Little River starting Memorial Day weekend.  Other than that, keep your head on a swivel for the town's LEO--and you better keep it at or below 45 mph.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Gateway to Cades Cove is #1 on my list for Townsend. Otherwise for me its shaping up to be an extension of jeep rentals, moonshine BS, and all around nauseating tourism that now defines the smokies. But the CC loop is still nice. Hope you make a time of it regardless 👍

I’ve parked in/drove through Cades Cove. It’s nice, but crowded. Thanks for the recommendation.

6 minutes ago, gun sane said:

Tuckaleechee Caverns opens March 1st, if you can get excited about a big hole in the ground.  You can also float around on a tube for awhile along the Little River starting Memorial Day weekend.  Other than that, keep your head on a swivel for the town's LEO--and you better keep it at or below 45 mph.

This looks promising! Never heard of it. Thanks for the speed limit heads up!

There are some waterfalls up that way we’d like to check out as well.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve parked in/drove through Cades Cove. It’s nice, but crowded. Thanks for the recommendation.

All about timing with the crowd. We've walked the entire loop countless times throughout the years but a change by the NPS killed that. Not sure when you are going but Wednesdays are closed all day to car traffic. Bicycle and foot traffic only. 

Or take in Abrams falls inside the loop if you're into hiking. Plenty to do if you're into nature.

• Like 1

I lived about 15 miles from Townsend for a few years and spent some time there.  It gets a little more touristy each year.  Townsend is a nice place to base out of while you check out other things in the area.  I highly recommend Dock's Motel on the River.  It's older, but family owned, the owners Ron and Sharon are super nice people.  The rooms are clean and the cabins are nice.  I despise most everything in Sevier County, as I suspect you would as well, so I won't discuss the money pits over there. 

I'll never get to spend enough time in Cades Cove.  Go during the week, early in the morning, this time of year is perfect, it won't be crowded.  Park, get out, and check out the buildings.  There are other neat things to see in CC as well like the Alum Cave, Cable Mill, and the Gum Swamp.

River Road between the Wye and the Sugarlands visitor center is a nice drive with lots of nice views of the river.  The road was originally a railway for the timber industry.  Check out The Sinks.  It's about half way down River Road.  Loggers attempted to clear a log jam with dynamite and created a large rapid, hard to explain, go see it, it's worth it. 

Not far from Townsend and a short hike from the parking lot is Lookrock Tower.  It's located half way between 321 and 129 on the Foothills Parkway, which is worth a drive as well.  

Cherokee North Carolina is always fun for people watching if nothing else.  

Fontana Dam is roughly an hour from Townsend depending on how fast you can get through The Dragon, Highway 129.  Fontana is the tallest dam this side of the Mississippi.  You can access the top and bottom though they are a few miles apart by road.  More to see at the top for sure, but you practically have to pass the bottom side to get there, pull in, take a gander.  If your are extremely lucky the overflows will be open.  This is extremely rare, I saw it 2 or 3 times while living there.  It's a big deal when it happens, of I recall correctly overflow from the lake side goes though 2 tunnels maybe 12 feet in diameter.  It travels over 500 feet to the bottom side of the dam, then hits a ramp and shoots up 150 yards in the air and lands 400 yards down stream.  I went once in the dead of winter and there was snow and ice on everything arrived the bottom of the dam, but nowhere else.  Really cool.  

Cherohala Skyway can't be beat if you are into scenic drives.  Lots to see along the road and by taking detours.  Bald River Falls is a great waterfall and Green Cove is a really cool remote off grid fishing community, not much to see there if you aren't fishing though.  Indian Boundary Lake is really cool and you can split from the Skyway there and take Citico Road along Citico Creek (more fishing opportunities, but requires a specific permit).  If you go all the way to the end of the Skyway Tellico Plains had some neat shops and restaurants and whatnot.  

Hope I've mentioned a thing or two that may be of interest. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

All about timing with the crowd. We've walked the entire loop countless times throughout the years but a change by the NPS killed that. Not sure when you are going but Wednesdays are closed all day to car traffic. Bicycle and foot traffic only. 

Or take in Abrams falls inside the loop if you're into hiking. Plenty to do if you're into nature.

Are you sure that the loop is closed all day on Wednesday?  I recall it being closed until 10am, but that information may be dated. 

40 minutes ago, phiferran said:

That's not a bad thing.  One of the coolest things that I've ever seen:. December 9, 2014 cool, overcast day.  A photographer friend and myself decide to go to CC, get off the beaten path, and take some wildlife pictures.  That was the day I learned exactly how the 2nd phase of the rut worked.  Apparently the deer were right at the peak of the 2nd phase.  This is what made it so amazing.  Most of the does are bred during the first phase of the rut.  By the second phase hot does are few and far between.  Two different times that day we found a hot doe bedded down and got to see 2, 3, even once 4 bucks fighting one another to get the chance to breed her.  I still have those pics somewhere.  I'd never seen anything like it. 

Edited by 10-Ring
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

I lived about 15 miles from Townsend for a few years and spent some time there.  It gets a little more touristy each year.  Townsend is a nice place to base out of while you check out other things in the area.  I highly recommend Dock's Motel on the River.  It's older, but family owned, the owners Ron and Sharon are super nice people.  The rooms are clean and the cabins are nice.  I despise most everything in Sevier County, as I suspect you would as well, so I won't discuss the money pits over there. 

I'll never get to spend enough time in Cades Cove.  Go during the week, early in the morning, this time of year is perfect, it won't be crowded.  Park, get out, and check out the buildings.  There are other neat things to see in CC as well like the Alum Cave, Cable Mill, and the Gum Swamp.

River Road between the Wye and the Sugarlands visitor center is a nice drive with lots of nice views of the river.  The road was originally a railway for the timber industry.  Check out The Sinks.  It's about half way down River Road.  Loggers attempted to clear a log jam with dynamite and created a large rapid, hard to explain, go see it, it's worth it. 

Not far from Townsend and a short hike from the parking lot is Lookrock Tower.  It's located half way between 321 and 129 on the Foothills Parkway, which is worth a drive as well.  

Cherokee North Carolina is always fun for people watching if nothing else.  

Fontana Dam is roughly an hour from Townsend depending on how fast you can get through The Dragon, Highway 129.  Fontana is the tallest dam this side of the Mississippi.  You can access the top and bottom though they are a few miles apart by road.  More to see at the top for sure, but you practically have to pass the bottom side to get there, pull in, take a gander.  If your are extremely lucky the overflows will be open.  This is extremely rare, I saw it 2 or 3 times while living there.  It's a big deal when it happens, of I recall correctly overflow from the lake side goes though 2 tunnels maybe 12 feet in diameter.  It travels over 500 feet to the bottom side of the dam, then hits a ramp and shoots up 150 yards in the air and lands 400 yards down stream.  I went once in the dead of winter and there was snow and ice on everything arrived the bottom of the dam, but nowhere else.  Really cool.  

Cherohala Skyway can't be beat if you are into scenic drives.  Lots to see along the road and by taking detours.  Bald River Falls is a great waterfall and Green Cove is a really cool remote off grid fishing community, not much to see there if you aren't fishing though.  Indian Boundary Lake is really cool and you can split from the Skyway there and take Citico Road along Citico Creek (more fishing opportunities, but requires a specific permit).  If you go all the way to the end of the Skyway Tellico Plains had some neat shops and restaurants and whatnot.  

Hope I've mentioned a thing or two that may be of interest. 

You certainly have. Many thanks.

What they said.....

Cades Cove is all about timing and there's tons of interesting stuff not visible from the road.  Rich Mtn Rd is a good way out when the nitwits jam up the road.  Tuckaleechee caverns is neat. 

Fontana dam is neat, as is Calderwood and  Cheoah (Fugitve) dam. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheoah_Dam

Watch for nitwits on horses in the Citico Creek area.  

Fantastic views from Shuckstack fire tower, Hooper Bald, and Whig Meadow.

Smokin Joe's BBQ, the Steak and Trout place, and Burger Master are really good.  Tellico Grains or Tellico Beach drive in, if you get over there. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

First of all, I love Cades Cove. My fav place on the planet. On my bucket list is to find & see Gregory's cave. Supposed to be back of John Oliver's cabin. I've yet to locate it. Next trip, I'm going to see if the Rangers can give me detailed instructions.

I'll agree if you go during touring season, be prepared to spend a lot of time sitting still. Made the mistake of riding my motorcycle thru there in summer. Almost roasted.

Also, driving the Dragon ain't no fun in a F150.

• Like 3

Also if you have never driven out Parson's Branch road, that is an experience. There are several low water crossings. It comes out on Hwy 129 , take a left and it takes you to Fontana dam and lake. I wouldn't try it in a Tesla or a 'vette, a pickup or Jeep would suffice nicely.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Also if you have never driven out Parson's Branch road, that is an experience. There are several low water crossings. It comes out on Hwy 129 , take a left and it takes you to Fontana dam and lake. I wouldn't try it in a Tesla or a 'vette, a pickup or Jeep would suffice nicely.

Beware, Parsons Branch Road is currently closed with no reopening date posted on the NPS website.  The road is typically closed November-March.  I've also seen the park service not open it at all certain years.  It seems that when they don't have the resources to maintain all of the park roads Parsons Branch is usually the last to get attention.  I've taken it many times.  Some of those times I even went the right way 🙄(it's one way from Cades Cove).  It's a great escape path on those days where the traffic is heavier than you anticipated.  Just beware it's going to dump you out almost 50 miles from the Cades Cove entrance. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Beware, Parsons Branch Road is currently closed with no reopening date posted on the NPS website.  The road is typically closed November-March.  I've also seen the park service not open it at all certain years.  It seems that when they don't have the resources to maintain all of the park roads Parsons Branch is usually the last to get attention.  I've taken it many times.  Some of those times I even went the right way 🙄(it's one way from Cades Cove).  It's a great escape path on those days where the traffic is heavier than you anticipated.  Just beware it's going to dump you out almost 50 miles from the Cades Cove entrance. 

Thanks for the info. We stayed at a place at Guntersville Lake a couple of years back. Going down a Deliverance type road, we suddenly encountered a “Road Closed” sign. According to Mapquest, it was going to be about a 40 mile trip to detour. Wife asked “What do we do now?” I told her we were going to see just how “closed” it was. First time I ever went 4 wheeling while towing a bass boat. We made it.😁

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

Really? it's a gravel road, cut the downed trees and truck on!! I've put enough money in their tip jar to fix that road.

You're a big tipper.  Last I heard the quote was about $500k to remove hundreds of trees. 

Parsons isn't going to reopen anytime soon and wasn't worth Cades Cove traffic anyway, though passing a stuck Jeep in my minivan was fun.  There's lots of better gravel roads around. 

I hiked that road from about the halfway point back to Cades Cove, twice. First time was a couple of years ago, and it was impassible by any kind of vehicle. It had massive washouts that were 5 feet wide and 8 feet deep, not to mention all the downed trees.

I did it again about a year ago, and it was a delightful gravel road I would have driven the wife's car down. Apparently they did a lot of work repairing it.

I can't speak for the other half out to the Dragon. Have never been there, so I don't know what condition it is in.

That said, roads like this in the park are generally closed during winter no matter what, so you likely won't be able to use it now regardless.

Also be aware that it is one-way, from Cades Cove to the Dragon. Once on the Dragon, you have to take it back to Foothills parkway to get back.

5 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

I hiked that road from about the halfway point back to Cades Cove, twice. First time was a couple of years ago, and it was impassible by any kind of vehicle. It had massive washouts that were 5 feet wide and 8 feet deep, not to mention all the downed trees.

I did it again about a year ago, and it was a delightful gravel road I would have driven the wife's car down. Apparently they did a lot of work repairing it.

I can't speak for the other half out to the Dragon. Have never been there, so I don't know what condition it is in.

That said, roads like this in the park are generally closed during winter no matter what, so you likely won't be able to use it now regardless.

Also be aware that it is one-way, from Cades Cove to the Dragon. Once on the Dragon, you have to take it back to Foothills parkway to get back.

That end of Foothills Parkway is closed too. 

https://www.wbir.com/article/news/great-smoky-mountains-national-park-tn/foothills-parkway-repaving-road-closures/51-9fb0696e-8eb3-4fd8-950d-02ce27cc066e

• Like 1