Driving to California with handgun

We are going to be driving from Gallatin,  TN to San Francisco in June.  Can I legally carry my pistol in California? I have a pistol lock box in our crew cab truck. Under the back seat. Don't really want to travel that far without any protection.  Thanks, gearyr

• Wow 1

I drove to LA last summer and only took 10 round magazines with me. It is illegal to be in procession of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds in CA. You cannot carry in CA. You cannot have it in your vehicle in CA unless it is locked up and out of reach and ammo is separated from firearm, and you are on your way to/from the range or gun smith (if my memory is correct); so know where the ranges are!! Some people just leave the firearm locked up in hotel room once they arrive in CA. 

I recall there is a CA gun owners website that outlines the laws there. 

CA doesn't recognize the enhanced carry permit we have in TN, so you wouldn't be able to carry there. 

As for keeping it in the car, seems like you're able to do that fine as long as the gun is unloaded and either locked in a case if in car portion OR locked in the trunk

References:

Is It Legal To Keep A Gun In My Car In California? | Quinnan Law

Moving to California with firearms - Calguns Foundation Wiki

Edited by user1776
15 hours ago, gearyr said:

We are going to be driving from Gallatin,  TN to San Francisco in June.

I am sure you have a good reason to go. I have a BIL that lives out there, he begs me to visit, I refuse over their gun laws.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Like 2

I've seen several articles on-line about how bad theft is in San Francisco. There are areas of the city where the residents leave the cars open so that the thieves won't break the windows to get in. Which is my way of saying that I wouldn't leave my firearm inside an unattended car there.

Several years ago I had to go to San Diego for a few months and I took a handgun with me. I found out later that I'd violated their laws by not declaring it! Turns out that after a fairly short period, 60 days) one must register a firearm if it's in California.

This is a pretty good site that runs down California's laws:   https://www.californiacarry.org/visitors.html

3 hours ago, Darrell said:

Turns out that after a fairly short period, 60 days) one must register a firearm if it's in California.

This

Reason number 4198 as to why not to go to California!

• Like 4