Safety

Just saw a news story of a house in Lexington KY, where a wealthy lawyer billed the 6-million-dollar house as being the safest house in America. Has a nuclear bunker, stocked with months of food, 26 feet under the ground.  

One 23-year-old mentally disturbed guy, who was obsessed that Putin was going to attack with nukes, broke a glass out and entered then executed the young lady lawyer, in her bed, and her dad after a gun battle. Wanted access to the bunker, so the media reported was the motive. 

Really sad, but most don't know what safety is.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1

I have 6 windows, at my home, that are my weakest points of my home security. They are old style wood frames with storm windows over the outside. They can't be opened, only from inside, because I have nails slid into the mid frames. I have often thought that I would put some kind of metal grills over bottom half of my windows, but figured someone would think I am paranoid, which I "somewhat" am..  The rest of my windows are bedroom windows and are high off the ground so one would need a ladder to enter them. My home is brick, but one could get into the attic and come through the sheet rock overhead pretty easy provided they enter the attic. All my entry points have Security storm door with substantial locks and unbreakable double pane glass. Entry doors are solid core heavy wood with 4 locks per door. Two of the locks can only be opened from the inside, with heavy dead bolt locks keyed on both sides.  All door hinges have extra long screws in them so no kick-ins.  

My hope is one will need to make noise and thereby giving time for us to react if forced by unwanted entry. We live in rural setting.  How is your home security?

• Like 1

Agreed TGO not bragging here, but it is my hope to spur others to consider their safety that they have put into place. Case in point with the opening post, the LADY SPENT 6.5 MILLION FOR A "SAFE" HOUSE AND A GUY BREAKES THE GLASS AND KILLS HER IN HER BED. It takes "effort" and money to make your home as hard as possible to enter. It is amazing how easy it is to get into some peoples castle. Most doors can be kicked-in in seconds. If you make it hard enough it will take more effort, thereby MAKING MORE NOISE, which will give one more time to prepare to defend oneself, if forced too. 

By the way my house is also lit up like a Xmas tree outside. Two layers of light, one security light and front and back lights that stay on all night with electric eyes, then an extra set of flood lights that can be turned on from inside. I have it well lit both front and back, however a I have no illusions, a determined "Thug" can and will defeat almost anything one designs. Making entrance to one's castle harder should give one valuable time to get ready. Also keep entry doors locked at all times.

All I am saying! You guys think about it. This stuff happens daily somewhere, even around us. 

Truth of the matter is that your house should be hard to get into quietly, if you are a hard sleeper then an alarm should be installed to wake you up.  Most dogs are good at making a racket too, and have great instincts to know when something isn't right.  But sometimes we take our safety for granted, thinking that all the safeguards we put in place are enough, but as this case shows, it isn't all that hard for a determined individual to get in if they really want to.   In the end it is up to the homeowner to be the line in the sand, because once someone has it in their head to get into a home, all bets are off.

• Like 1

If me and the Mrs. sleep through a forced entry, my girlfriend will more than likely let us know.

In the event of a forced entry, we have a plan; not having others in the house, we can simply barricade and wait.

I have insurance for whatever replaceable stuff they're likely to get.

• Like 1