Previous open carry threads

Swang

I want to be the one making the decision as to who knows I am carrying. Same as I don't flash wads of cash or have my address on the back of my shirt. If I want to stand out, boy do I know how to, but I would rather not. Means I get to avoid dealing with lots of aholes and general complications in my daily life. I am good with that. That's my right. (See what I did there?)

• Like 6
55 minutes ago, peejman said:

Doesn't apply to LEO's, they're wearing wearing a uniform and are at work.  It's generally accepted that they'll be armed. 

I agree that people are overly sensitive to open carry, among a long list of other things. Unfortunately, most of the open carry I see is either some half wit wearing a crap holster or a voldemort wannabe.  I see no tactical advantage in open carry and I do my best to avoid attention, so I don't do it. 

I seem to recall an incident with armed security outside of the Starbucks near the Candy campus. Someone complained about the armed security in uniform outside who were hired by Starbucks. Suddenly it was a misunderstanding with the security company and guards for the protection of Starbucks patrons we're no longer to be armed. Uniform has no bearing. Old adage, "don't judge a book by the cover" applies as not all LEO are good guys.

Ok. I'm done. I'll just read anything else here and learn. 🙂

I have no problem with OC, but wish people would be a little more responsible about it.  As in, use a quality retention holster (not a Serpa or Uncle Mike's).  Show a little bit of situational awareness.  Most of the OCers I see could be disarmed by my teenage daughter before they realized what was happening. 

3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I have no problem with OC, but wish people would be a little more responsible about it.  As in, use a quality retention holster (not a Serpa or Uncle Mike's).  Show a little bit of situational awareness.  Most of the OCers I see could be disarmed by my teenage daughter before they realized what was happening. 

Prime example of Mr Oblivious I followed out of the grocery store a while back. Boy was he struttin'. A 10 year old could have snatched his gun before he realized. I stood within arms reach of him at the checkout and he never even looked toward me. 

20220301_224300.thumb.jpg.7815690bfc60129804c467dfa5aa4ef1.jpg

I took the pic to prove a point to someone.

Back in 2001 I went to visit friends in Missouri for a few days. At that time they didn't have CCW, but open carry was legal. So I open carried while I was there. To their credit, nobody said anything. However, everywhere I went people looked, even stared. Every time we went somewhere, I was gettin' the hard eyeball. 🤨 Frankly, it made me uncomfortable.

I have no desire to do that again. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Back in 2001 I went to visit friends in Missouri for a few days. At that time they didn't have CCW, but open carry was legal. So I open carried while I was there. To their credit, nobody said anything. However, everywhere I went people looked, even stared. Every time we went somewhere, I was gettin' the hard eyeball. 🤨 Frankly, it made me uncomfortable.

I already get enough stares no need to add audible expletives to it 😁

• Haha 5
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Open-carry used to be the only way that regular civilians could carry a handgun in Kentucky.   We had the ability to do that without a permit for as long as I can remember.  Long before Kentucky started making the Concealed Deadly Weapon License a thing.

Back in my late high-school and early college years, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I worked at one of the Wal-Mart stores in my hometown.  We had an old farmer who would come into the store almost every weekend with a chromed 8-inch revolver of some sort strapped to his leg in a legit cowboy leather holster.

Being a kid who grew up in a police and military family and who hunted often, I was enamored by firearms, so this guy's heater never bothered me.  But it sure drew some attention from everyone else.  The way he was eyeballed throughout the store by our store's management and other customers made an impression on me.  It made me adverse to that sort of attention and made me appreciate the concealed aspect of the CDWL once Kentucky started issuing them.

• Like 1

This is simply a classic example of "it's not what you say, it's how you say it".  Usually when you start a conversation with "Hey, Dumbass" it doesn't go so well.

My real consternation about this whole thing is I have a hard time not starting most conversations today without "Hey Dumbass".

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

My real consternation about this whole thing is I have a hard time not starting most conversations today without "Hey Dumbass".

The older I get, the more I understand and relate to Red Foreman.

mila kunis television GIF

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

Open-carry used to be the only way that regular civilians could carry a handgun in Kentucky.   We had the ability to do that without a permit for as long as I can remember.  Long before Kentucky started making the Concealed Deadly Weapon License a thing.

Back in my late high-school and early college years, in the late 1980s and early 1990s, I worked at one of the Wal-Mart stores in my hometown.  We had an old farmer who would come into the store almost every weekend with a chromed 8-inch revolver of some sort strapped to his leg in a legit cowboy leather holster.

Being a kid who grew up in a police and military family and who hunted often, I was enamored by firearms, so this guy's heater never bothered me.  But it sure drew some attention from everyone else.  The way he was eyeballed throughout the store by our store's management and other customers made an impression on me.  It made me adverse to that sort of attention and made me appreciate the concealed aspect of the CDWL once Kentucky started issuing them.

I remember it well. First time I drove onto the town square in Scottsville I did a triple take. Not all but most of the men were strapped.

OOPS! That slipped out.  🤐

Edited by papa61

Interestingly enough I have never seen anyone open carrying that looked like they were doing in in an irresponsible way nor did it look like they were trying to attract attention.  They just were going about their business like everyone else.  I think we sometimes we project our thoughts on everyone else.  We think everyone is staring at us and they really are not. My picture was in the paper one time and I went to eat and it felt like everyone was staring out me, and they really were not.  The times I have OC I never even noticed anyone looking or staring. I am pretty sure very few people even noticed.  I build my holsters so that it has to be drawn with a slight pull from the front.  It may look easy to take but it would not be.  I also have practiced locking the arm down if I feel a hand arm around there.  We did that drill in martial arts training to combat a attempted full nelson.  If someone was to come from behind and try to grab my weapon it would be fairly easy to isolate the wrist and disarm or get control or that person. We practiced that quite often.      

I don’t OC in public, just like some of you I thinks it draws a lot of unwanted attention. I like the element of surprise.Just my opinion. I do OC on my farm sometimes, but hardly leave the house without something on me,  handgun , shotgun or rifle.I’m lucky, I’m out in the sticks, where I can pee or shoot off my back porch.😂😂

• Like 1

i NEVER open carry, if i need to use my weapon i want it to be a surprise  

and honestly if i were to want to , i dont know, maybe rob a store and i saw someone open carrying 

I would shoot them