ATF now denying all Form 1 suppressors and going after solvent trap/oil filter folks again

Saw this yesterday. Many people are having their Form 1 suppressors being denied. They're using the very circular language of the NFA to basically deny anyone who intends to build a suppressor legally by saying that "any part that you intend to use to build a suppressor is by definition already a suppressor." 

image.thumb.png.3f9dc395773b7e015aa03239a97049c1.png

ATF has started to clarify with people reaching out about these rejections with the following (basically MASSIVELY moving the goalposts and deciding they're going to get into our business even more):

FB_IMG_1646254102225.jpg

IMG_20220302_120909.jpg

ATF responding to Quietbore (popular Form 1 Kit provider) on the new requirements they've decided they're going to impose (with no new changes in the law by the way... just a whim of the unelected administrators)

Quietbore asking "Is form 1 being done away with" (I'm paraphrasing)

IMG_2751.jpg

Quietbore responds to the ATF:

IMG_2752.jpg

ATF responds back to Quietbore - confirming they are going to massively restrict Form 1 legal building of suppressors at home: 

IMG_2750.jpg

This new restriction on "no solvent trap or kits" is just BS and part of the slow march towards everything firearm related being regulated by the government. This is a new direction the ATF is trying to take to impede on more rights (related: while they also continue to build out their gun registry *with nearly 1billion records on firearm transactions* by absorbing all the forms FFLs who are closing up shop/going out of business have to send over to them and creating a digital database. 

Contact our Senators and Representatives to fight back against this crap! 

Edited by user1776
  • Like 2
26 minutes ago, Omega said:

So, according to the ATF, every scrap piece of pipe is now a silencer?  They have some very ignorant people working there at the ATF.

Nope, only if it has been cut to a length that could be used as a silencer. 

6 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

And who would make that determination?  Where is the cutoff, 5.5", 6.5" 8"?  It is so  arbitrary that they could deem any tube in your possession an unlicensed NFA  item if they so chose to.

• Like 1

True. I suppose if you plan to do a Form1 “build your own silencer” make sure you don’t have anything in you possession that could be considered a silencer part before you submit the form. That way you are not “breaking the law”. 

I suppose I understand that they (ATF) is trying to dampen the solvent trap to silencer market, but damn, they say some stupid $h!t. 

6 hours ago, Omega said:

So, according to the ATF, every scrap piece of pipe is now a silencer?  They have some very ignorant people working there at the ATF.

5 hours ago, Snaveba said:

5 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Sounds like it’s time to build a 3 foot silencer just because.

5 hours ago, Omega said:

And who would make that determination?  Where is the cutoff, 5.5", 6.5" 8"?  It is so  arbitrary that they could deem any tube in your possession an unlicensed NFA  item if they so chose to.

She says 6" with the intention* to use it for a "silencer."

So having a ~6" pipe isnt the issue but having a ~6" pipe with the intent to turn that pipe into a part of a suppressor IS. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

So having a ~6" pipe isnt the issue but having a ~6" pipe with the intent to turn that pipe into a part of a suppressor IS. 

Yes and who determines intention here? 

If someone mailed you a 6" tube and then told the ATF you were illegally manufacturing suppressors, and then the ATF visits you and finds out you're on an online forum where people talk about guns and sometimes NFA items, are they going to smack you down with illegally owning a suppressor? 

What's the point you want to make? That it's no big deal or...?

So according to the idiots at BATFE what you have rolling around in your head that you might be thinking of building a suppressor counts as much as having the piece of tubing, a lathe, a drill press, a welder, etc, etc. I would really like to know what they are so intent on banning suppressors for. I don't recall any recent shootings where a suppressor was used, unless I didn't hear that one!!  Yes I intended to say hear. LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suppressors and silencers are a gimmick mostly. Most guys I know couldn't care less about having one. They work pretty good on a .22 but, most calibers they are still sort of loud. Not what you see in the movies. Movie silencers are pup pup. 

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

everything firearm related IS regulated by the government.

Not really. And many of the existing regulations should be reversed.

You don't need to tell the government about buying and selling ammo or any accessories. Or how many rounds of ammo you have stored away.

You don't need to tell the government you reload ammunition. Or ask them for a license.

You don't tell the government you take training classes. Or which range you shoot at. You don't have to apply for a permit to shoot on your own land.

Well you don't have to do any of these things... Yet. 

You can treat this news as no big deal as perhaps you feel it doesn't affect you in any way. I happen to think a government agency that keeps changing its rules is problematic, especially since the 2A is a popular target to erode. 

But the government does not regulate everything firearm related, and it shouldn't either. Many existing regulations should be reversed. 

• Haha 1
On 3/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, Daniel said:

So...the government can now read my mind? Have they resurrected Carnac the Magnificent? It's bad enough my wife knows what I'm thinking.

12 hours ago, user1776 said:

I happen to think a government agency that keeps changing its rules is problematic,

There you have it. ATF's job is to enforce the laws as written. But they keep interpreting  and changing the laws as they see fit to suit their own purposes. 

I'm not a big suppressor guy. I do own a .22 suppressor, but honestly very rarely use it. However, I fully support those that are into them. 

• Like 1