This is a thread that is not about the Ukraine

• Moderators

I’m moving from Dyersburg to Jackson this weekend. I’m looking forward to joining the Tennessee sports foundation and having access to an outdoor range with longer distances. I’ve heard good things about it.

Thanks for this thread. A little bit of a palate cleanser and breather is definitely needed.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I’m moving from Dyersburg to Jackson this weekend. I’m looking forward to joining the Tennessee sports foundation and having access to an outdoor range with longer distances. I’ve heard good things about it.

Thanks for this thread. A little bit of a palate cleanser and breather is definitely needed.

I was hoping you'd come join us on the east side. You'd make a good mountain man. 🙂 Congrats on the move though. Change can be good. 

• Haha 1
  • Moderators
4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I was hoping you'd come join us on the east side. You'd make a good mountain man. 🙂 Congrats on the move though. Change can be good. 

You got too many damn Yankees moving in over there. Pretty soon the east Tennessee accent is going to be indistinguishable from the New York one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

You got too many damn Yankees moving in over there. Pretty soon the east Tennessee accent is going to be indistinguishable from the New York one. 

Don't forget all the Californians that are moving here for some reason... ☹️

22 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Don't forget all the Californians that are moving here for some reason... ☹️

And Washington, Maine, Texas, Colorado, Oregon, ... those are the plates I can recall seeing in my subdivision lately. 

39 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Maybe to you west tennessee folk....  We know the difference here in God's time zone. 🙂

6 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

LOL! You’ll eventually get far enough away from Memphis.

• Haha 1
On 3/3/2022 at 11:03 AM, Chucktshoes said:

This Texas transplant has been in East TN almost 20 years.  Many say "y'all" instead of "you-uns," but I have yet to hear a "youse".

• Haha 2
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, peejman said:

You'uns or y'uns is even deeper south. My family in SC says that. 

Must be more of an easterly thing. Here obviously, and all my folks in MS, AR, AL, GA and even down into LA are all in the y’all camp.

—-Just looked it up and this is what I found.—-

According to the linguists on the interwebs, that’s an Appalachian bit of dialect. Also, my call of sounding like “yinz” like you hear up in PA was correct as it actually is a shortened version of “you-uns” which is a shortening of “you ones”. Y’all has a completely separate etymological origin. 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/yall-youuns-yinz-youse-how-regional-dialects-are-fixing-standard-english

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1