This is a thread that is not about the Ukraine

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Must be more of an easterly thing. Here obviously, and all my folks in MS, AR, AL, GA and even down into LA are all in the y’all camp.

—-Just looked it up and this is what I found.—-

According to the linguists on the interwebs, that’s an Appalachian bit of dialect. Also, my call of sounding like “yinz” like you hear up in PA was correct as it actually is a shortened version of “you-uns” which is a shortening of “you ones”. Y’all has a completely separate etymological origin. 

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/yall-youuns-yinz-youse-how-regional-dialects-are-fixing-standard-english

Funny how language is. My Great Grandmother moved to Richmond VA with her 2nd or 3rd husband. If she wanted you to drive her somewhere, she would ask if you could "carry" her. I never heard that outside the family members that lived up there. Maybe it was a VA thing?

• Administrator
On 3/3/2022 at 5:40 PM, No_0ne said:

One positive thing about the Ukraine posts, at least that endless Covid thread seems to be dying out ...

Putin basically ended the COVID pandemic.  I am so conflicted about him, on this one realization.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
15 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Funny how language is. My Great Grandmother moved to Richmond VA with her 2nd or 3rd husband. If she wanted you to drive her somewhere, she would ask if you could "carry" her. I never heard that outside the family members that lived up there. Maybe it was a VA thing?

My family on both mom and dad’s side is from Ridgeway and Williamsburg respectively. I was born and raised in Williamsburg myself and maybe once heard that term used. I hear it used more here actually. More than a few times a week with the bunch of knuckleheads I work with. 

My wife was taken aback by a certain phrase in the local lingo.  She asked a co-worker if she would do a certain task for her.  "I don't care to do that," was the reply.  This came off as rude to my Texas-raised wife.  She interpreted the response as, "Go blank yourself."  She was relieved to learn that it really meant, "It won't bother me to do that for you."

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gun sane said:

My wife was taken aback by a certain phrase in the local lingo.  She asked a co-worker if she would do a certain task for her.  "I don't care to do that," was the reply.  This came off as rude to my Texas-raised wife.  She interpreted the response as, "Go blank yourself."  She was relieved to learn that it really meant, "It won't bother me to do that for you."

Im from South Knoxville, I grew up off "Murrvull" (you know, the correct way to say Maryville) Pike.  I dont recall that being a common phrase.  Maybe someone just didnt think about what they were saying.

Edited by Daniel
19 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Nope.  Lived my entire life in West Tennessee, heard this use of "carry" since I can remember.  In fact, I didn't realize until your post that it's not universal ...

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I grew up hearing you-uns and I grew up hearing y'all some too. Another expression I heard a lot was How is your Mama and 'em. It sounds like "mamanem". 

That's pretty common around here too, along with yahmommaanyall. 

Had a Yankee professor in college who became an amateur linguist interested in the regional dialects and expressions around West Tennessee.  He once told me that "y'all" was exactly one and a half syllables, and was impossible for anyone not born and raised in the south to ever learn to pronounce.  He was correct of course ...

14 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Has anyone noticed that the words Dr. Anthony Fauci haven't been seen anywhere in the Universe for at least 3 weeks?   !!!!!!!!!

And you just had to go ahead and jinx us ...

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Im from South Knoxville, I grew up off "Murrvull" (you know, the correct way to say Maryville) Pike.  I dont recall that being a common phrase.  Maybe someone just didnt think about what they were saying.

One of my best friends uses the phrase a lot, although he often doesn't think about what he's saying either.

With some of the legislation proposed in the TN legislature, immigrants from Kali are the least of our worries.  And Kalies are NOT the legislators.

disclaimer: only been here four years myself

Edited by JustEd
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, gun sane said:

I would have interpreted that as a "No" as well.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Does anybody know what a hunker is ? How about yonder? How about narry or airing? Don't know if II spelled airing right, Might be aring.

Those are all real words and can be found in a dictionary if you are wondering.  BTW, it’s nary.

10 hours ago, gun sane said:

I hear that all the time in Knoxville.

Since only one topic is off limits how about a southern joke.

Q. What's the difference between a southern zoo and a northern zoo?

A. The southern zoo has a description of the animal along with a recipe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4