This is a thread that is not about the Ukraine

One more, substitute TN in where you think it is the appropriate level. I'm in at the Texas level.

You may have heard on the news about a Southern California man who was put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had (by rough estimate) 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

By Southern California standards someone owning 100,000 rounds would be called "mentally unstable."

Just imagine if he lived elsewhere:

In Arizona , he'd be called "an avid gun collector."

In Arkansas , he'd be called "a novice gun collector."

In Utah , he'd be called "moderately well prepared," but they'd probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.”

In Kansas, he'd be "A guy down the road you would want to have for a friend."

In Montana, he'd be called "The neighborhood 'Go-To' guy.”

In Alabama, he'd be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate."

In Georgia, he'd be called "an eligible bachelor."

In North Carolina, Virginia , Mississippi, and South Carolina he would be called"a deer hunting buddy."

And in Texas he's just "Bubba, who's a little short on ammo."

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Those are all real words and can be found in a dictionary if you are wondering.  BTW, it’s nary.

Thanks, I thought nary and hunker was both words. Is airing or aring a word too. My grandma used to say that a lot. Whenever I went fishing as a kid, she would say did you catch aring? 

17 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Thanks, I thought nary and hunker was both words. Is airing or aring a word too. My grandma used to say that a lot. Whenever I went fishing as a kid, she would say did you catch aring? 

Airing as in your dirty laundry or grievances in modern parlance, but I never heard any form of that related to catching anything.  Are you thinking about errthang?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Airing as in your dirty laundry or grievances in modern parlance, but I never heard any form of that related to catching anything.  Are you thinking about errthang?

Not likely unless his grandma was from Memphis.

😂😂

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Is airing or aring a word too. My grandma used to say that a lot. Whenever I went fishing as a kid, she would say did you catch aring? 

I've heard someone say that it's "airy" if there's a chilly wind.  Did you go ice fishing?

8 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Does anybody know what a hunker is ? How about yonder? How about narry or airing? Don't know if II spelled airing right, Might be aring.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nary

nary a or nary an

: not a single one

Over yonder = over there, but more than next door, most likely the next ridge top or holler.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hunker

hunkered; hunkering\ ˈhəŋ-k(ə-)riŋ

Definition of hunker
1 : crouch, squat usually used with down
2 : to settle in or dig in for a sustained period used with down hunker down for a good long waitNew Yorker

Still learning southern terminology for time. Had two exchanges the last month or so. First one I was giving an old lawn more away. Person told me they would be over soon, this was about 11am. I contacted them about 4pm and ask if they were still coming. They said yes we will be right there, I said it gets dark by 5:30 be here before that. They showed up at 8:30, I told them to try again the next day and it continued. The second was easier I guess because it was a tradesmen and their time table is similar everywhere. They said we will be over after lunch. We texted them at around 2pm and asked if they were still coming yes leaving now (they are about 30 minutes away). They show up at 4:30 for a 2-3 hour job. Since they were running late and the kitchen wasn't usable we decided one of us would run out for take out at 5:30. They said they would be done in another hour, 45 minutes if everything went right, so we waited. At 6:30pm my wife ran out for food. They finished at 7:30. Did a great job but it seemed like a good thread to vent on.

• Like 1