Glock-45 Slide Milling/Optic Recommendation

Defender

Can anyone recommend a good place to get my G-45 slide milled for an optic in the greater Nashville area?  Also need to decide on an optic as well. I have Holosuns on my Sig P-365XLs and like them, will one of them work on my G-45?

• Administrator

I would encourage you to find someone who is willing to have the slide coating done again with nitride or heat-cured Cerekote no matter what you do.  I have seen way too many slides ruined by rusting due to the optic cut merely cold-blued or finished with an air-cure coating of some sort.

This isn't something to skimp on.  It will affect the longevity of your gun as well as it's resale-value if it's done wrong.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

I would encourage you to find someone who is willing to have the slide coating done again with nitride or heat-cured Cerekote no matter what you do.  I have seen way too many slides ruined by rusting due to the optic cut merely cold-blued or finished with an air-cure coating of some sort.

This isn't something to skimp on.  It will affect the longevity of your gun as well as it's resale-value if it's done wrong.

I'm not completely familiar with coatings.  Looking at DP's website, it seems they recommend Melonite as most similar to the factory Glock finish.  What do you think?

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Defender said:

I'm not completely familiar with coatings.  Looking at DP's website, it seems they recommend Melonite as most similar to the factory Glock finish.  What do you think?

Yep.  Melonite is a nitride finish.  It's rugged.  Same as the Glock finish.  I use it on my slides from them. 

• Like 1

I just got an email from Glockstore this morning and they are giving discounts on slide milling and Cerakoting. Still very expensive though at $441 for the cut and $135 for the cerakote. Would nearly be as cheap to sell your current G45 and buy a new MOS for that money. The code for the discount is Kote10 if you're interested.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

@Defender - You might also just consider putting an aftermarket slide on your G45.  That way if you decided that a red dot wasn't really your cup of tea, you could just sell the aftermarket slide and put your OEM slide back on the frame.

This slide would fit your G45 and is the cheapest I've seen, PLUS it is a good manufacturer!  You'll pay less for this than having someone mill and re-finish your existing slide.

ZEV Duty Stripped Slide For Glock 19 Gen 5 RMR Cut - Omaha Outdoors

ZEV-SLD-Z19-5G-DUTY-RMR-BLK.jpg

• Like 1

I recently picked up a G34 that was set up with a red dot.  It was the first time I ever fired a handgun with a red dot site.  Very hard to describe how well I like it.  Very fast target acquisition.  I actually feel like I am cheating when I shoot it.  Been wondering about all my other handguns and how I can get the same set up on them.  

• Like 3
  • Administrator
13 hours ago, Rowdy said:

If I were in your situation I would sell or trade the G45 you have and buy a G45 MOS.  You can get one on GunBroker for a little over $600.  You get a factory cut for less than a local cut job.

Glock does a lot of things right.  The MOS optics system isn't one of them, in my opinion. 

The screws that hold the plate to the gun are generally fine, but the plate itself is so thin that the optics screw doesn't have much material to thread into.  This frequently causes problems when people use screws provided by their optics manufacturer, rather than the Glock provided screws, which can cause the screw to bottom-out and then arch the mounting plate.  This leads to screw / plate failure.

If you run an MOS Glock, you want an optics plate from Forward Control Design (1st choice) or CHPWS (2nd choice).  These both have proven track records and are better than the Glock OEM plates.

@Defender if you're going to stick with an RMR or a sight that uses the RMR footprint, don't sleep on that Zev slide I posted earlier.  That is a new product from them, at a cheaper price point than I've seen before, and will likely sell out.  Zev produces things in batches and once they're sold out, they stay that way few a while.

If you want an optic mounting system that is both strong and flexible to allow you to change it up some as time passes or needs change, look at the Agency AOS slides like I am using on my G19 now.  Omaha Outdoors had the best price on the Syndicate S2 slide that I am using but it was still around $500-ish.

• Like 2