$3.69-$3.89 Where/when does it end?

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I agree about nuclear, but:

How long does it take from deciding to build a nuclear plant until it is on line?

How many here have seen a new nuclear power plane under construction near them?

Do we currently have the electric production capacity to both supply the explosion of new houses being built here in Tennessee, AND the added strain of millions of folks recharging cars every evening?

Just like food doesn’t just come from the grocery store, electricity doesn’t just magically come from the wall plug. 

I know you get this, but it scares the hell out of me how many people don’t.

As you know, I’m not talking about a short term fix. This is a longer-term solution to a problem that’s only going to continue to get worse if we fail to take action.

• Like 4
Just now, Chucktshoes said:

As you know, I’m not talking about a short term fix. This is a longer-term solution to a problem that’s only going to continue to get worse if we fail to take action.

I agree. What I see is politicians and pushing electric cars and no one pushing to beef up the electric grid to support them. The former will be a disaster without the latter. I’m not against electric cars as long as we can use them.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I'd embrace the electric vehicle idea more if I didn't have the 1st hand knowledge that our local electric grid is currently running foot to the floor as it is. The local power company had a dog and pony show all about EV but sidestepped the question about how everyone is going to charge these at home easy peasy. Its pretty plain to me your nuclear suggestion and EV should walk hand in hand if we intend to make it work on a large scale. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Due to upbringing and a lot of intangibles I will always maintain a great love for the internal combustion engine. Sadly though, I don’t believe we can truly justify our reliance on them for transportation any longer. The risks to our economy and to the well-being of the citizenry through energy price spikes like what we are experiencing now are just too great. We are going to have to make peace with the fact that we must transition to electric vehicles and renewable energy. But I’m not talking about some mythical wind/solar/hydro fantasy land of renewable energy production. Anyone who discusses renewables and does not go hard in the paint for nuclear is not looking at the problem with any sort of realistic  worldview. Nuclear energy is safe, reliable, and we should be building as many plants as it takes to power our nation. 

I’m all for nuclear, but we (USA) have the means and capability to eliminate many of the the oil/gas/fossil related problems you describe.  

Also, the resources needed for electric cars are becoming harder to obtain.  

Edited by deerslayer
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

You have this backwards I think.  Oil prices and oil production decreased after the pandemic started. By mid 2020 oil refineries in the US were laying people off because of decreased demand. It makes sense that they slashed production because you aren't going to just keep pumping oil you can't sell. Then in 2021 demand started to increase and so did prices. That production doesn't always ramp back up at the same pace. I'm sure much like every other industry facing a worker shortage, some of those employees went to new industries outside oil and gas.

All that makes sense, but it seems (and I’m going strictly by memory) that gas prices started to rise well before people started driving back to work or taking trips on a significant level.  I could be wrong, though.  

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I agree. What I see is politicians and pushing electric cars and no one pushing to beef up the electric grid to support them.

…and no one talks about this painfully obvious irony.  I have to wonder if the end game is no cars for the unwashed masses.  I have gradually come to the conclusion that certain politicians would prefer to see us riding in double decker buses instead of driving places.  Cars = freedom and that just doesn’t sit well with some folks.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I worked and drove 19 days in a row through the China Virus. 

Me too, brother. I never missed the day through the pandemic. I was declared an essential worker, and had the paperwork to support it, but never received one extra nickel for doing so.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

…and no one talks about this painfully obvious irony.  I have to wonder if the end game is no cars for the unwashed masses.  I have gradually come to the conclusion that certain politicians would prefer to see us riding in double decker buses instead of driving places.  Cars = freedom and that just doesn’t sit well with some folks.  

No bus ever passes out here in the sticks where I reside.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Me too, brother. I never missed the day through the pandemic. I was declared an essential worker, and had the paperwork to support it, but never received one extra nickel for doing so.

Yeah, we were declared essential workers too. We make lots of different  filters for trucks and heavy equipment.

• Like 1

It's all a shell game boys and girls. It's hard to stay focused on anything as much as they have going at any one time. Yea the last time I saw a POTUS motorcade on T.V. they weren't driving Prius's, I think they were Chevrolet Tahoes. The green deal people can preach all they want about green, it takes oil to make plastic, to mine for lead, copper, zinc. I can't keep up with the gas prices, about every 2 days they tack on another $0.10-0.20. Last time I looked was Sunday and it was $4.29 for the cheapo ethanol blend.

• Like 5

Just heard on the evening news that the U.S and U.K. have banned all Russian oil, natural gas and coal imports. Supposedly, the U.S. ban will cost the Russians !00 M a day.

I think the bigger news is the U.K. ban. Europe is a big consumer of Russian energy. That'll hurt. 

Already mentioned McDonalds shut down as been joined by Coca-Cola, Pepsi and Starbucks. Yeah, let's piss the Russian civilians off real good.  make'em even madder at Putin. 😉

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

gas is $4.09 in Kingston today  

my question, how is the normal ever day person going to afford a $70,000 electric car when they cant afford bread and milk  . and which electric vehicle will pull my horse trailer 

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, BJB said:

gas is $4.09 in Kingston today  

my question, how is the normal ever day person going to afford a $70,000 electric car when they cant afford bread and milk  . and which electric vehicle will pull my horse trailer 

Pull it with the horses, of course.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Yeah, let's piss the Russian civilians off real good.  make'em even madder at Putin. 😉

Problem is Pravda or whatever it's now called is feeding Russian citizens garbage.  My sister spent part of a summer over in Ukraine years ago as a guest teacher.  She ate supper with one of her students one night because her parents wanted to meet a real, live American.  They peppered her with questions like "Why did you kill Indians?  Wasn't it terrifying living under the reign of the horrible Ronald Reagan?  What was it like standing for hours in line for bread?"  They were educated before the end of the Soviet Union and my sister quickly realized that it involved some serious propaganda.  That was years ago, but I bet much of the Russian press is pretty similar today.  

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Problem is Pravda or whatever it's now called is feeding Russian citizens garbage.  My sister spent part of a summer over in Ukraine years ago as a guest teacher.  She ate supper with one of her students one night because her parents wanted to meet a real, live American.  They peppered her with questions like "Why did you kill Indians?  Wasn't it terrifying living under the reign of the horrible Ronald Reagan?  What was it like standing for hours in line for bread?"  They were educated before the end of the Soviet Union and my sister quickly realized that it involved some serious propaganda.  That was years ago, but I bet much of the Russian press is pretty similar today.  

Not unlike our media today. I remember Russia Today being a more reliable news source than what we currently have available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Exactly.  Gas was $1.89 two or three years ago.  Wonder what changed. 

Exactly nothing, according to President Psaki...

12 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Problem is Pravda or whatever it's now called is feeding Russian citizens garbage

Pravda (and Tass) are available in English on-line. Go take a look. It's hard for me to imagine that people actually believe all of that, but then they are taught from the time they're in preschool that the US is horrible. Same thing in N. Korea where TV's and radios receive a single, fixed frequency, so they receive only the government propaganda organs.  This morning Pravda has an article about the US-funded bio-labs, all located on the Russian borders, and another about the US plans to get a nuke into Ukraine for the Ukrainians to use. (But we don't want to try to enforce a no-fly zone because of fear of escalation, go figure.)

Yesterday there were gloating articles about Russia's success with hypersonic weapons and the US's failures and the surfacing of a Russian boomer with 160 nuclear warheads off the east coast of the US. 

And yes, our MSM have serious political leanings, too. There's a CNN article this morning about why gasoline prices are so high. They mention Ukraine and other reasons, but don't mention closed pipelines or decreased pumping and exploration here. 

Edited by Darrell
19 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Thank you. People seem to forget that the POTUS doesn't set gas and oil prices. In 2020, global demand for oil plummeted as people stayed home during the beginning of the pandemic. Production was slashed. Then as the economy opened back up and started firing on all cylinders, demand for oil outpaced production and we started seeing big price increases. Now add in the Russia mess and it gets worse. I read we only get around 7% of our oil from Russia.

17 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Unlike deep water drilling or other drilling production sources worldwide which require a 5 to 10 year leadtime before they are able to effectively produce new oil for the market, American shale oil production (fracking) has about a 3 to 6 month turnaround time for getting oil to market. So yes, US production in that sector can absolutely have a short term effect on pricing. That said, expect 5.50 to 6 dollars per gallon nationwide before prices start to sink. 

This is true, but there's another factor in play here that's also complicating the process of ramping up oil production.  For several years now, oil companies' stock prices have been falling, in some part due to investors demanding more returns from the companies in the form of stock buybacks and higher dividends.  As these prices fell, oil companies reverted from a pro-growth stance to one of buying back stock and paying out higher dividends to investors.  Exploration and development budgets have been slashed, less profitable fields curtailed or abandoned, and equipment leases allowed to expire.  All this complicates the "drill baby, drill" philosophy from taking hold again.  Thus far, most companies are reticent to pivot from this stance, as the wildly fluctuating prices and supply issues in the past decade have made many of them skittish.  Even now, with oil prices rising rapidly and world production and availability falling, most of these companies have adopted more of a wait and see attitude towards increasing expenditure for exploration and development.  In addition, investors and lenders aren't providing new capital to oil companies that aren't paying out a high percentage of cash to investors, thereby choking off a ready means of increasing production capacity ...

• Like 1

If I'm an oil company with the CIC pushing for more electric and less ICE usage and dependency on what I'm drilling and selling I'm sitting on my hands right now. Definitely not betting for the CIC to be looking out for my money.

• Like 1