Jump to content

MSSA 600yd Benchrest 3/6/2022


Recommended Posts

I shot my first rifle match yesterday and it was the 600 yard benchrest match at MSSA outside of Memphis.  Previous to this I have shot at 200 yards once and 300 yards once for a total of about 20 rounds. 

I was quite nervous but the folks are friendly and quite reassuring.  I really didn't expect to do well.   I was setup on the line with guys running 10-15k dollars worth of fancy equipment.   And I'm running an 800 dollar rifle with a 600 dollar scope off a bipod and squeeze bag with factory ammo. 

After the first two targets, I was leading the factory class with a decent margin.   Unfortunately, on my fourth and final target, I crossfired on my last two rounds which resulted in a zero score target.  Even with that, I managed to still be in the running for second until the last couple of rounds.  My competitor finally found the 10 ring and I missed second place by 6 points.  With only three factory shooters though, I still had a podium finish.  It was a blast. 


When I got the targets back and started running the numbers, I would have finished the day with a 181-1x if I hadn't crossfired.  It would have been good enough for first place in factory and I think it would have been the second highest score of the day across all classes.  It was a great time.  I loved it.  I really want to do it again but my schedule likely isn't going to allow me to make the next monthly match.  Get out and shoot folks.  Its a great time. 


 

51924018571_5f34468d10_b.jpg

 

51924018546_4895d6bda2_b.jpg

 

51923112197_c9bba6e7b7_b.jpg

 

 

This was my best target of the day.   That group measured 3.65" at 600 yards.  The math shows that to be a .608 MOA group.  I didn't even know that I was capable of shooting that small, much less my equipment that everyone says is crap.  It's especially surprising that I was able to do that with a 25 power scope and every other scope on the line was at least 40 power.  And they had rifles that are generally considered better than mine.  Also, I've never cleaned this rifle.  All of the things that people tell me I'm wrong about worked in my favor for at least that one day/target. 

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Nice shooting!  For a while now I have meant to go embarrass myself with my Bergara at the next F-class match there.  Is that the new Ruger target rifle?  Also, did this get you 600 certified?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Nice shooting!  For a while now I have meant to go embarrass myself with my Bergara at the next F-class match there.  Is that the new Ruger target rifle?  Also, did this get you 600 certified?

Thanks!   Yes I am now 600yd certified.  I know you said f class but unless you just want to shoot prone, shoot the benchrest match.  It’s 20 rounds plus sighters so a lot less ammo.  At least if that’s a concern for you.  Then after you do that and are 600 cleared, less go shoot some. 

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Thanks!   Yes I am now 600yd certified.  I know you said f class but unless you just want to shoot prone, shoot the benchrest match.  It’s 20 rounds plus sighters so a lot less ammo.  At least if that’s a concern for you.  Then after you do that and are 600 cleared, less go shoot some. 

20 rounds sounds better than the 60 or so the F class guys shoot.  I got 600 certified about a year ago.  When do the benchrest guys shoot?  I think F class is (was?) 1st Saturday.  I’ve heard people joke that Benchrest is competitive reloading, not competitive shooting.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

20 rounds sounds better than the 60 or so the F class guys shoot.  I got 600 certified about a year ago.  When do the benchrest guys shoot?  I think F class is (was?) 1st Saturday.  I’ve heard people joke that Benchrest is competitive reloading, not competitive shooting.  

If that’s the case, my factory loads beat their hand loads.   Benchrest is first Sunday with practice on the Saturday morning before.  
 
If we can make the same match, we should both be in factory together.  Hopefully I get the chance to beat you.  Haha

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

If we can make the same match, we should both be in factory together.  Hopefully I get the chance to beat you.  Haha

That won’t be a significant accomplishment.  Are surpressors allowed/not allowed, change what division you’re in, etc?

Link to comment
32 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

That won’t be a significant accomplishment.  Are surpressors allowed/not allowed, change what division you’re in, etc?

I don’t know.  I know you can use a brake.  But I don’t know about a can.  I don’t think it would change class. 

Link to comment
34 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Great Job!  What's your setup and ammo?

Thanks.  It’s a Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5creedmoor and the muzzle brake removed (per rules).   The scope is a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 in mrad mounted in Hawkins Precision rings on the factory rail.  I’m shooting off of a Harris bipod and using an Armageddon gear rear squeeze bag (I forget the model but it’s the one developed with the guy from K&M precision).   My ammo is Hornady Match 140gr ELD.   

23 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Did just showing up and shooting the match get you 600 yd qualified? 

I've been wanting to do that for a long time. But it seems to be a bit of a pain. 🙄

Yes the match will get you qualified as long as you can shoot under 3 moa.   Robby Miles is the match director and he can sign off on it. He did for me.  But I was already qualified on 200 and 300.  You might still have to do those but that should be easy if you can nail 600.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
On 3/7/2022 at 3:12 PM, Capbyrd said:

Thanks.  It’s a Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5creedmoor and the muzzle brake removed (per rules).   The scope is a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 in mrad mounted in Hawkins Precision rings on the factory rail.  I’m shooting off of a Harris bipod and using an Armageddon gear rear squeeze bag (I forget the model but it’s the one developed with the guy from K&M precision).   My ammo is Hornady Match 140gr ELD.   

Yes the match will get you qualified as long as you can shoot under 3 moa.   Robby Miles is the match director and he can sign off on it. He did for me.  But I was already qualified on 200 and 300.  You might still have to do those but that should be easy if you can nail 600.  

Quick question--was all shooting strictly on paper targets?  No e-targets?  If so, what kind of spotting scopes did they use or was their $4k 55x riflescopes good enough?  I want a spotting scope, but it's pointless if I can't find 6mm holes on a white background at 600.  We were out there one day and a guy was shooting a benchrest rifle on paper and was able to do this with his riflescope. No idea what it was, though.  Probably something worth more than my truck.  

Link to comment

Some of them have really expensive sporters.  You drive a yota so even the rifles weren’t worth more than your truck.  But yeah, we have people in the pits putting spotters in the target during the sighter portion.  
 

For the scored fire, I couldn’t see a single round.  And No e targets.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Darrell said:

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is "qualification" and why is it desirable?

The range has certain sections that they consider to be a bit more dangerous or liability hazardous than the general lines.  These include 200, 300 and 600 yard and the action pistol lines.  These areas require one to review a separate rule book and prove a level is proficiency to be able to use whenever one desires.  That’s the qualification we are talking about.  I can now go and use the 600yd range whenever I am there. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Darrell said:

Thanks. The range I use doesn't have those special requirements.

I have mixed feelings about it.  We do have houses near by so it’s nice knowing people aren’t lobbing rounds over the berms into neighborhoods.   As the area grows around us, we have to be sure not to cause issues that could get us shut down.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/10/2022 at 6:10 PM, Capbyrd said:

Some of them have really expensive sporters.  You drive a yota so even the rifles weren’t worth more than your truck.  But yeah, we have people in the pits putting spotters in the target during the sighter portion.  
 

For the scored fire, I couldn’t see a single round.  And No e targets.  

The F-class guys use the e-targets, which are really cool, but there's just something about taking home a paper target with a good group.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2022 at 3:12 PM, Capbyrd said:

Yes the match will get you qualified as long as you can shoot under 3 moa.   Robby Miles is the match director and he can sign off on it. He did for me.  But I was already qualified on 200 and 300.  You might still have to do those but that should be easy if you can nail 600.  

If you can shoot the requirements at 600yds in the competition, you bypass the 200 and 300yd qualification requirement.  If nothing else, it's a time saver.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.