New one on me!

I went to put my utility trailer back in the shed, cranked the truck, and thought "I smell gasoline." Got out and looked under the truck, and it looked like I'd parked on top of a sprinkler system.馃樀 That ain't good for the environment, nor my wallet. After banging on various muffler, driveshafts, etc. with my head, I finally maneuvered into a position where I could see the problem. Looks like a squirrel or some critter had gnawed a hole in part of the gas line. It isn't just regular old rubber gas line. It is a very specific, Toyota only fitting that no one around here has in stock. I finally found one on the interwebz and ordered it. Just in time for the "bomb cyclone" coming tonight. LOL!馃榾

A few months back, while replacing an injector on another truck, I discovered the wires goin to it were gnawed in two. Looks like I'm dealing with my own invasion out here in the sticks. The war is on!

Edited by gregintenn
  • Wow 1
  • Admin Team

If I were in a place where I'd had that issue with more than one vehicle, I think I'd order some predator scent lure - mix it up in a spray bottle with some alcohol - and give the underside of my car a couple of good shots of it once a quarter or so.

Just make sure you know where the air intakes are on your wife's car.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

About once every week or two, someone on the Tundra forum reports having massive wire damage caused by rodents. Sometimes it's bad enough to require insurance to pay for it.聽

How do you feel about getting an outdoor cat?聽

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
6 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

About once every week or two, someone on the Tundra forum reports having massive wire damage caused by rodents. Sometimes it's bad enough to require insurance to pay for it.聽

How do you feel about getting an outdoor cat?聽

I鈥檇 prefer to mechanic, Erik, but I sincerely appreciate the suggestion.

When I worked for the city this was an on-going problem. Especially on garbage trucks. All manner of critters love to chew on wiring and hoses.聽馃え

I forget which one, but one of the major auto makers had to completely change their wiring harnesses. It turns out that the specific plastic they used as wire insulation was considered a delicacy by mice.聽馃檮

I usually drive my truck. So the car tends to sit for long periods between uses. Last fall I opened the hood to check oil and such and found the top of the engine covered in acorns.聽聽It seems the squirrels were using it as a warehouse.聽馃樀

• Like 1

I have been in squirrel elimination mode for 2 years now. Theycost me a bunch before declaring war. Got them "somewhat" thinned but still, eliminate a couple per week. Talk about a nuisance!聽

Edited by pop pop

I've done the squirrel elimination thing a couple of times.聽 Shoot on sight seems to work pretty well.聽 When I was a kid we had a neighbor who was eliminating the squirrels with a pellet gun.聽 Before he started it wasn't uncommon to look out and see 15-20 squirrels at a time.聽 By the time he was done you couldn't find a squirrel in that neighborhood.聽 Had them get in an attic once, which scares me as a little chewing on the wrong wires and your house could burn down.聽

Back in Washington I fed the little buggers, (squirrels) every day. Even made little feeding stands in the trees. They'd be on the stand while I poured out sunflower seeds. But all the sudden they decided to show their gratitude by invading my garage and chewing on stuff. I felt badly about it, but I started trapping and shooting them. They'd have been fine if they'd just stayed outside and left me to the inside, but alas. All my fault, of course, I just didn't think ahead.

Had the same problem at my parent's property.聽 Killed my dad's car's transmission and had to have my F150's wiring harness fixed because of the buggers. When they fixed my truck they put some goop on the wiring that the chipmunks don't like. I think the other thing you can do is put mothballs under where you park and that should help keep animals away.

The leftest tree huggers is the cause of this. Insulation and hoses were oil based and rubber, now it is a soy based product.

Edited by RED333
because I can
  • Like 2

Yea what Red said, soy product in insulation. I had a friend back 10 years ago that went to crank his fairly new Tundra and it wouldn't even click, towed to dealer and they said he need a new wiring harness, he said splice it and tape it up. Chipmunks are also pretty much a menace!!

• Like 2