Progressive presses

My first progressive was a lee loadmaster, and like you said about the other lee it was VERY "janky". I had 3 primers go off in that press in a couple month period of time. After the third one I sold the thing on craigslist for parts. I went and bought the hornady LNL AP,

and while it has it's issues, it is night and day better than the lee with no primer detonations in the 4 yrs I have had it. No it isn't a Dillon, but I think it is a decent step in between the Dillon and the lee

7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

A wise man once said "buy once, cry once". I think that's a pretty good adage to live by. 

I have a shelf full of cheap, broken binoculars, with a combined purchase value of around $1100 sitting right behind the $900 used Swaros I actually use to remind me of this fact. 

• Like 4

There's been some excellent advice and information shared already.

I finally wore out my first press, a Lee single stage, after 35 years and many 10's of thousands of a variety of handloads. I replaced it with the Lee Classic cast with the breech lock update and have no doubt it'll outlive me.

I have a Dillon 550 B that I purchased around 1990. I have no idea how many 9mm and 45 acp I've loaded over the decades, but as many as 14,000/year to as few as 5,000/year. It's not auto-indexed, but honestly that's never been a concern, nor even a "want" for me. I can leisurely load 400 rounds an hour keeping a careful eye on each step.

I think I've loaded around 4000 9mm so far this year. Handloading is my "Zen" place.

I did send it back to Dillon several years ago for a "Tune up" and they returned a like new press to me. Dillon's customer service has always been incredible. I've lost track of the extra/spare parts and primer tubes they've given me over the years...but it's quite a bit.

IF you go with a Dillon I would highly recommend an Inline Fabrication LED light kit. It's probably the best $34.00 I've spent on reloading gear in a long time. It's made seeing what these aging eyes are doing much easier!

I also use a JW Systems extended primer track bearing plate. But that's a little more money for a later time LOL

Good luck with your quest.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

Well, I made a deal last night for a Dillon 550 with a couple of toolheads & die sets. I've got a .223 conversion kit on order & I reckon I'll be building a new bench this weekend. 

I think you’ll love it. I sold the first 550 I had several years back and regretted it. I have the new 550c and won’t be getting rid of it anytime soon. It’s a good middle ground between single stage and something like the 1050.   Post pics when you get it built!

• Like 1

The in-line fab roller handle is really nice as well but definitely not needed. I had one previously but get by just fine with the knob. I’ve thought about buying the riser, trays,etc but usually get by fine with the box of bullets on one side and the bucket of brass on the other. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

XuIkHO2.jpeg

Dudes..... like for srsly..... O. M. G!!! 😲😲😲

It took me maybe 45 minutes to put together, figure out the primer timing rod thingy & set up the dies, then another 2 hours to crank out 500 rounds, without rushing & checking every 20th powder charge. 

How have I managed so long without this in my life???

• Like 6
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

XuIkHO2.jpeg

Dudes..... like for srsly..... O. M. G!!! 😲😲😲

It took me maybe 45 minutes to put together, figure out the primer timing rod thingy & set up the dies, then another 2 hours to crank out 500 rounds, without rushing & checking every 20th powder charge. 

How have I managed so long without this in my life???

I remember that feeling. It’s like, “really??? It’s that easy?!?”  

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 3:44 PM, tnhawk said:

I have a Dillon 550 but find myself using the RCBS single stage most of the time. I prefer to weigh every round even though it is time consuming.

Check the Dillon website: I have set up two tool heads for the 550 in 308 and 223, These tool heads allow measuring each charge with the 550 Dillon The parts fit into the die body for the powder measure. There is a powder funnel that allows you charge your case by hand.

I have two 550's going right now. Both were used. These guys are telling you the truth about the 550's.   Don't let those skinny chicks on the cover of the catalog run you off. Stay focused on the loading gear.

Dillon also had good technical support. Their no BS warranty is also a winner.  Bottom line is money spend on a Dillon will work out in your favor in the long run.

Edited by Mowgli Terry
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Congratulations!  I sold my 550 back in 2010 after loading 15-20K of 9, 45 and 223.

There was Never a problem that wasn’t a quick fix or call to dillon.  Even though I run a 650 and 1050 now, I wish I would have never sold the 550.

• Like 1
On 3/29/2022 at 7:21 AM, Handsome Rob said:

It is, but it's a great addition. 

Congrats, some accessory lights have inline dimmers.  Might see if there is one for yours.  Mine was fairly inexpensive