Olight Recall

From the article:

If you own one of these recalled flashlights, please immediately stop using it and contact Olight for store credit, a replacement flashlight, or a full refund,” Olight wrote in its recall notice. “We apologize sincerely for this situation. Thanks for all your continuous support.”

To date, Olight received 127 of the flashlights turning on and overheating, resulting in 22 reports of burn injuries. Three of those consumers reported second-degree burns.

https://gearjunkie.com/news/olight-flashlight-recall-m2r-pro-warrior-mini

https://m.olightstore.com/article.html?id=1498597352846782467&sscid=31k6_e874x

53 minutes ago, BHunted said:

That sux. But great.
Just sent in for a refund. Never used the darn thing because it got way to hot. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. I'm glad you had luck because I've not had success so far getting my info to go through. They made this difficult to get an exchange. 

14 hours ago, Erik88 said:

No problem. I'm glad you had luck because I've not had success so far getting my info to go through. They made this difficult to get an exchange. 

Haven't heard from them yet. But yes, their confusing web forms are little weird. Got to see how they handle my purchase which was a gift card from Amazon...
Guess I'll stick to Fenix... 

In the recall letter the wording, "these models may be turned on inadvertently and overheat".    Unless I'm mistaken, that means the flashlight was turned on by accident by the owner, not it magically turned on by itself.      To me, that goes back on the user.    I look at it somewhat similar to a firearm.    Don't want the gun to fire, keep your finger off the trigger.   

Not saying Olight shouldn't have a better design that is less apt to turn on accidently, but personal responsibility today is a lost concept.      I still love my M2R Pro Warrior and will likely keep it.     And yes, if I turn it on in my pocket inadvertently and burn myself, that's on me.      

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

In the recall letter the wording, "these models may be turned on inadvertently and overheat".    Unless I'm mistaken, that means the flashlight was turned on by accident by the owner, not it magically turned on by itself.      To me, that goes back on the user.    I look at it somewhat similar to a firearm.    Don't want the gun to fire, keep your finger off the trigger.   

Not saying Olight shouldn't have a better design that is less apt to turn on accidently, but personal responsibility today is a lost concept.      I still love my M2R Pro Warrior and will likely keep it.     And yes, if I turn it on in my pocket inadvertently and burn myself, that's on me.      

Fair points but I don't think one should expect to get 2nd degree burns from an accidental flashlight activation. 

I plan on keeping mine as well but I guess I'll avoid pocket carry. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I plan on keeping mine as well but I guess I'll avoid pocket carry. 

I haven't looked at the actual recall forms, are they not requiring people to return the original flashlight as part of the recall?    

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

I haven't looked at the actual recall forms, are they not requiring people to return the original flashlight as part of the recall?    

It was confusing. There are three options and I asked for a replacement but will try to keep both if I can. 

My concern if they get this hot is it catching on fire. I keep one in a kitchen drawer and don't want to burn down my house if the button gets accidentally pushed.

I threw my odin in my bag with the pressure switch still attached to it. (yeah, I'm an idiot) needless to say something hit the pressure switch, which in turn burned the end of a finger of one of my mechanix gloves to the lense. 

I caught it before it totally caught the bag on fire, ruined the lense. So I call Olight, tell them what I did, and asked to buy a replacement lense. They said they don't sell them, but for me just to send it back to them, and they sent me a new one, no charge.

Pretty good company if you ask me. This is part of the price for wanting a 1 millon candle power light, they make heat, lots of it and that heat burns.

@willis68

Hey Steve,

As an Olight dealer, did you receive any additional info from Olight other than the recall letter they released to the public?     Mainly interested to learn if you have to return the original light, or prove it's destroyed, to get a replacement or refund.     

1 hour ago, Trekbike said:

@willis68

Hey Steve,

As an Olight dealer, did you receive any additional info from Olight other than the recall letter they released to the public?     Mainly interested to learn if you have to return the original light, or prove it's destroyed, to get a replacement or refund.     

I’d like to know that as well.

6 hours ago, Trekbike said:

@willis68

Hey Steve,

Negative 

They did ask me if I had any problems with mine, I told them no, so I’m keeping mine

3 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Did anyone hear back from Olight? I got a tracking number 7 days ago but it hasn't actually moved. 

I got one too, but prety sure  ine was for me to send mine back...there was a shipping label attached to the email.