Old Flintlock Kentucky rifle

M Evans

1262796928_gunincase2.jpg.e519b0f7f17bb757b24b96d9d0302e4e.jpgI have a very old Kentucky flintlock rifle. My father, George D. Locke, bought this piece at an auction in the 1950s or 1960s, I believe. 
It has a little description that he must have cut out from the auction catalog which says, " An exquisite flintlock Kentucky rifle  with 65 silver inlays including spread eagle on the cheek piece. The barrel bears the name of D. Locke in script on an inlaid plate on the barrel. This is a full maple stocked tiger striped rifle with lockplate and hammer fully engraved. Rifle about 50 calibers with heavy octagon barrel. Age has demanded some repairs to the wood, which has been done expertly and proper. A most graceful Kentucky in very good condition."
I am seeking information on this rifle and its approximate value. Hoping someone can help provide more information on this type of rifle and its approximate value for insurance purposes.

Thank you, M. Evans

detail barrel.jpg

nameplate2.jpg

ramrod2.jpg

Edited by M Evans
added pictures
  • Thanks 1

A couple of questions, please.....

a) Is this an original piece or a contemporary reproduction?  Normally, the name on the barrel, usually in script, is where the maker indicates who made the rifle.  You said your dad was named Geo D Locke and the name on the barrel is "D Locke."  Is this a coincidence that the maker and your dad had similar name or did your dad have it added after he bought it?

b) What is the barrel length

c) is the ram rod still with it?

d) Any chance of a picture??

I know several contemporary builders and collectors and a picture would be needed for any type of estimate.

thanks

Mark

• Like 1

I have added pictures today. Gun is about 53" long total, with barrel approximately 3'. Ramrod is still with it, attached to the barrel. I believe this was represented by the auctioneer as an original piece. The name on the barrel is D. Locke (in script). I was assuming this was the name of the owner, not the maker --but I know next to nothing about guns. I believe my father bought it because he thought D. Locke was possibly an ancestor, because his family has deep roots in Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas and South Carolina. Thank you for your responses! 

Edited by M Evans

Yes, I am in CA and discovered this forum in my search for information on this gun, which recently came into my possession  due to a death in the family. I want to learn all I can about it from a historical perspective and know its value for insurance purposes. I wasn't aware that this forum was only for people from Tennessee, if so, I apologize.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, M Evans said:

Yes, I am in CA and discovered this forum in my search for information on this gun, which recently came into my possession  due to a death in the family. I want to learn all I can about it from a historical perspective and know its value for insurance purposes. I wasn't aware that this forum was only for people from Tennessee, if so, I apologize.

No, we're not solely for Tennesseans but it did raise an eyebrow as I was reading.  All are welcome here as long as everyone's intentions are good. 🙂 

• Like 1

Thank you for the pictures and the added information.  

It is quite ornate so is most likely intended as a presentation piece.  This is not to say that it was not for some degree of regular use.  You stated that the barrel was about 3 feet long (36 inches) which would be on the shorter side of the classic Tennessee/Kentucky long rifles and others that were influenced out of the Lancaster, PA style but the pictures are not very detailed.  The wood does look old, but I cannot say if it is 200 years old, etc.  

Best advice I could give you is to find someone (preferably a couple of different sources) that would be in your area and knowledgeable in the Kentucky long rifle styles and have it appraised.  Believe me when I say that there are contemporary builders today that can hand build rifles (and this includes hand forging of the barrels, locks, trigger guard, etc.) and "age" them to the point that it is hard for the casual observer to discern if they are originals or not.  

Given it's importance to your as it belonged to your dad and the potential value variance, you really should get it in the hands of an expert.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Possibly one of these two guys or a son?

LOCKE, H. — Pennsylvania; Kentucky rifles.
LOCKE, James — Born 1790 in New Hampshire or Vermont; moved to Wellsborough (now Wellsboro), Pa., before 1820, and soon made rifles; died ca. 1870. Made unique Miguelet-type percussion locks. A walnut halfstock with part-octagon barrel marked "J. Locke" in script; lock, marked "J. L." in script, has external mainstring and parts mounted in a boxlike brass casting. Also a fancy inlaid Kentucky rifle with identical but unmarked lock, marked "James Locke Wellsborough" in script on barrel.

Found info here:

https://www.earmi.it/USA Gunmakers/L.html