Sad news this morning

Grunt67

Prayers for him and all involved. I was in a Red Horse unit in 67-68 around Danang Air Field, USAF. So many of us are passing with P-cancer. Yes Grand Torino, that time sure changed my life. Agent Orange has been unkind to me. Thanks for your service Grunt67. Your Squad leader was/is a good man. 

• Thanks 1

From Wikipedia. His Medal Of Honor citation is incredible. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_E._Stumpf

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. SSG Stumpf distinguished himself while serving as a squad leader of the 3d Platoon, Company C, on a search and destroy mission. As SSG Stumpf's company approached a village, it encountered a North Vietnamese rifle company occupying a well fortified bunker complex. During the initial contact, 3 men from his squad fell wounded in front of a hostile machinegun emplacement. The enemy's heavy volume of fire prevented the unit from moving to the aid of the injured men, but SSG Stumpf left his secure position in a deep trench and ran through the barrage of incoming rounds to reach his wounded comrades. He picked up 1 of the men and carried him back to the safety of the trench. Twice more SSG Stumpf dashed forward while the enemy turned automatic weapons and machineguns upon him, yet he managed to rescue the remaining 2 wounded squad members. He then organized his squad and led an assault against several enemy bunkers from which continuously heavy fire was being received. He and his squad successfully eliminated 2 of the bunker positions, but one to the front of the advancing platoon remained a serious threat. Arming himself with extra hand grenades, SSG Stumpf ran over open ground, through a volley of fire directed at him by a determined enemy, toward the machinegun position. As he reached the bunker, he threw a hand grenade through the aperture. It was immediately returned by the occupants, forcing SSG Stumpf to take cover. Undaunted, he pulled the pins on 2 more grenades, held them for a few seconds after activation, then hurled them into the position, this time successfully destroying the emplacement. With the elimination of this key position, his unit was able to assault and overrun the enemy. SSG Stumpf's relentless spirit of aggressiveness, intrepidity, and ultimate concern for the lives of his men, are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.[1]

• Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 5

We always called him Stumpy. Little funny on him, he drove down from Tomah, Wi twice to visit, stayed a week both times. I asked him if he was ever wounded. He said once. I asked where, he said like Forrest Gump. In the buttocks, LOL.

He left the Army, awarded the CMOH, and the Army talked him into coming back. He did, and they put him in recruiting. He hated that, asked to go back to his old unit in 'Nam. Wish granted. Stayed in & Retired after 29 yrs as Sargent Major.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Grunt, thank you and "Stumpy" for your service, prayers for him will be sent. Erik, thanks for the research, we need more men like both. 

I wear a patch on my leather that says "I wasn't there, but I still care". I respect and honor all of our veterans, they are the best of all of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

I got the bad news I had been expecting & dreading this afternoon. Ken Stumpfs' son called to tell me he had passed today about 2:30 pm.

As I said before, he was a good man, friend, & soldier.  He will be missed. Not a day went by I didn't think of him.

At least he is no longer suffering.

Rest in peace, Stumpy.

• Sad 4
On 4/23/2022 at 5:10 PM, Grunt67 said:

I got the bad news I had been expecting & dreading this afternoon. Ken Stumpfs' son called to tell me he had passed today about 2:30 pm.

As I said before, he was a good man, friend, & soldier.  He will be missed. Not a day went by I didn't think of him.

At least he is no longer suffering.

Rest in peace, Stumpy.

I would normally say "may his memory be a blessing", but clearly in Stumpy's case, it was, is, and forever will be. 

Condolences, Grunt.  I'm glad this man was around when you needed him, and stayed in your life for the rest of his.

Edited by btq96r
  • Thanks 1

I guess God led Sergeant Major Stumpf and you, Grunt 67, through that day, all the way to this day. It's good that you could travel so far together...