Who says .45 ACP is not popular anymore?

It was hard to find last year, but have been seeing it here in Sevierville lately.  Bass Pro and Buds.

As to popularity, yeah not so much for carry.  Still one of the better cartridges for pistol target shooting, at least in a 1911.

The 45 aint unpopular to the experienced gun hands.  It is unpopular to first time gun buyers and casual shooters.  There is a " shortage " of 45 ammo because everybody is making 9 mm and 556...

leroy...

• Like 5
42 minutes ago, JustEd said:

It was hard to find last year, but have been seeing it here in Sevierville lately.  Bass Pro and Buds.

As to popularity, yeah not so much for carry.  Still one of the better cartridges for pistol target shooting, at least in a 1911.

I do like to carry a 45. Not my 1911, but I do keep a 45 in the carry rotation. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

A lot of centerfire calibers are scarce. I load my centerfire calibers, or I'd be in a pickle. 

Yea, I am set, but I have a friend that got a new 270, on my recommendation.  Had to have him buy two boxes of 308 to trade me for 270s.  I have plenty of both but I didn't want to sell, and cheat one or the other so figured a trade was better.  Got a 6.5 CM right before SHTF with these prices and shortages so have enough for working up a good load and have enough left over for 100 or so hunting rounds.  The issue is I don't have any H4350, so will have to settle with A4350, but you have to use what you can get.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gunner4570 said:

I have seen a change in focus to 9mm but this is because the buyers tend to be more inexperienced.  

There ya have it. Seems like every new gun owner goes out and buys a 9mm. There have been a lot of new gun owners in the last couple of years. So they're making ammo for the general public. 

Whereas .45acp shooters, especially 1911 shooters,  tend to be more serious about their guns and most reload.  I have a bunch of .45acp pistols. I haven't bought any factory ammo in years. 😉

GaMqntU.jpg

• Like 6

I have the notion that fans of the .355 bore like shooting people multiple times making the experience more fulfilling. This must have originated in Europe with the metric calibers. Real Americans like drilling large less numerous holes before they ride into the sunset

• Haha 3
16 hours ago, Gunner4570 said:

I guess my question is experienced shooter still shooting 45s?

I think the ones who reload are, and increasingly so.  Lots of reloading types had large pistol primers sitting around doing nothing.  Now that small pistol primers don't exist, people are getting their .45s out and using those large primers. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, ohell said:

You need to shop in a blue county until things get better. That where more less then men live and 45acp around

with gas prices the brass exchange has 500 piece dirty for $46.50 plus ship   

What are you talking about?

• Like 5

Ammoseek reports that .45acp is the 9th most searched caliber.  Ahead of .380acp, .38spl, 6.5 Creedmore, and .357Mag among others.

They show lots of new brass-cased FMJ ammo at $.47 to $.50 per round in case lots.

I still shoot it and use it in my carry gun.  Bigger holes are always a good idea.

• Like 5

I love my .45acp 1911s but let me tell you about my Sig in 357sig, talk about a devastating psycho round. But I think I'll stick to carrying my Glock 43x with the 15 round mag. If that can't do the job then I hope the infantry god welcomes me.