Who says .45 ACP is not popular anymore?

I watched a you tube video of a ballistic gel test between a 45acp fmj and a 9mm fmj.  The test proved that the 9mm has better penetration than the 45acp, I also noticed that when the 45 hit the gel, the gel block came off the table but the 9mm did not do so.  It kind of makes you wonder about the 45acp....................just kidding.

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1
On 3/17/2022 at 11:32 PM, Grayfox54 said:

There ya have it. Seems like every new gun owner goes out and buys a 9mm. There have been a lot of new gun owners in the last couple of years. So they're making ammo for the general public. 

Whereas .45acp shooters, especially 1911 shooters,  tend to be more serious about their guns and most reload.  I have a bunch of .45acp pistols. I haven't bought any factory ammo in years. 😉

GaMqntU.jpg

If 'popular' was my criteria for a pistol, I would have a glock or taurus 9mm.  Most of my pistols are 1911s in 9mm and 45 acp.  I haven't bought ammo for them in several years although I shoot weekly.

• Like 2

I collect .45’s U.S. military marked pistols.  If you don’t think you want it anymore PM me.  It was developed to stop a drugged up enemy.  Yeah, it’s a handful to carry, but when TSHTF, is the 9mm good enough?  I’ll take the flying ash tray.  

• Like 2

The failure of the .38 Colt against the Moro tribesmen prompted the Army to reassess their current sidearms and look for something better. 

The 1911 was developed as a Cavalry sidearm. The idea was to duplicate the .45 Colt revolver cartridge in a semi-auto pistol. The criteria was it should be able to kill a horse at 100 yards. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 3
On 3/24/2022 at 4:35 PM, Quavodus said:

Apparently our Gov/Military made stupid decisions even way back. I'm sure the soldiers were like, what the h-e- double hockey sticks is this?

Actually the above was my thought when they gave us the M9.

The helicopter replaced the horse.  Progress.

The M9 replaced the 1911.  Who's dumb idea was this?

Edited by tnhawk
19 hours ago, tnhawk said:

Yeah, a lot of people couldn't believe the change to M9. Every gun magazine had an article about it. 9mm with FMJ is a little different than .45 FMJ.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2022 at 5:35 PM, Quavodus said:

Apparently our Gov/Military made stupid decisions even way back. I'm sure the soldiers were like, what the h-e- double hockey sticks is this?

Oh, when it came to weapons procurement, the military has been stupid for a over a century.  A classic example was the U.S. Army selecting the single shot trapdoor Springfield after the civil war; the thought being that soldiers would just waste rounds if they were given repeaters or lever actions.  How stupid was this? The U.S. Calvery used repeaters in the Civil War to great effect. Yet, afterwards, they weren't good enough to get them during peace time.  Also European armies were already starting to issue repeating bolt action rifles, as early as the 1870s.  Not having a repeating rifle in the hands of troops also probably led to the massacre at the Little Bighorn. That and Custer being an idiot by splitting his force and leaving his Gatlingguns behind.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:04 PM, tnhawk said:

That was a decision to adhere to NATO standards.  NATO, went along with the 5.56X45 and in return we went to the 9mm.

On 3/29/2022 at 6:17 PM, Quavodus said:

Yeah, a lot of people couldn't believe the change to M9. Every gun magazine had an article about it. 9mm with FMJ is a little different than .45 FMJ.

Very true. But I think with new technology, the 9mm has come a long way towards rectifying the difference.  That being said, if I were limited to FMJ, then most definitely, the .45ACP would be my caliber of choice. But honestly, the 1911 would not be, unless it in involved into a high capacity pistol.  I would opt for a FNH FNX 45, Glock 21 or Springfield XDM.

1 hour ago, Quavodus said:

As far as high capacity .45 1911's go, do they still have the Para Ordinance 1911's?

Nah,  Para Ordinance was bought out by Remington some years ago and killed off. But there are still plenty of them out there. I have one and I'll tell ya, without a mag loading tool, you ain't gonna get 14 rounds in that mag by hand. 😖

However, there are several companies making what are commonly referred to as 2011 Models. That is double stack, high capacity 1911s.  Many of them use modular type frames with a steel upper section and a poly grip. 

Here's my Para Ordinance SF-45-A. These were custom, limited edition pistols offered only to active duty combat troops stationed in the sand box during 2009-10. My younger son was in Iraq at the time. He ordered two and gave me one of them . 👍

F41btLz.jpglpaFonR.jpg

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, abrowntn said:

I can still easily buy 45 acp thankfully. I go back and forth between loving .45 and 9mm more.

Yeah, I saw a little .45 Today. Not great prices but, was some available. I've started loading some too. 

Look, all this stuff about 45 ACP going down the tubes does not stand the reality test. Look at today's choices in good 45 ACP caliber guns.

I'd not make a decision on what is going out of style by what cartridges are on shelves  anywhere.  I am a reloader. My concern is the primer shortage. I could give a care less about the Big Box and  steel cased ammo from the third world. 

Would I trade my Glock, HK or Colt in 45 ACP for any 9mm?  Not is this lifetime.  Well, maybe a Swiss SIG 210. This hype about 9mm has all the ring of repeated dogma from the gun rags. Wonder what will be the caliber rage in five years?  If I'm still on the green side of the grass then there will be multiple 45ACP caliber guns back in the Skunk Works.  My lone 9mm is a SCCY.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Mowgli Terry said:

Look, all this stuff about 45 ACP going down the tubes does not stand the reality test. Look at today's choices in good 45 ACP caliber guns.

I'd not make a decision on what is going out of style by what cartridges are on shelves  anywhere.  I am a reloader. My concern is the primer shortage. I could give a care less about the Big Box and  steel cased ammo from the third world. 

Would I trade my Glock, HK or Colt in 45 ACP for any 9mm?  Not is this lifetime.  Well, maybe a Swiss SIG 210. This hype about 9mm has all the ring of repeated dogma from the gun rags. Wonder what will be the caliber rage in five years?  If I'm still on the green side of the grass then there will be multiple 45ACP caliber guns back in the Skunk Works.  My lone 9mm is a SCCY.

The "primer shortage" bothers me too. I look for primers almost every time I stop at a gun store. No luck for awhile now. Finding bullets for reloading are a problem  sometimes too. A lot of the cast bullet companies are sold out a lot of the times. 

Edited by Quavodus