Warning-Graphic Picture of my Stupidity

After seeing many pictures of people who cut them by accident and me thinking, well, how stupid can you get, I finally did the same.  I've cut myself 3 times in my life.  First when My dad gave me a small pocket knife when I was about 5, despite my mom's objections.  I went out side to play with it and, yep, but my palm within the first hour, lol.  I probably needed stitches then but staunched the flow of blood with leaves and finally was able to hide the wound when i went inside.  Still have that scar 60+ years later.  Second time was the knife slipped paring an apple when I was about 21.  Took a couple stitches I think.  Yesterday, I was returning form a long drive back from Florida in a very uncomfortable rental car. I had my Benchmade Adamas Auto (sharpened to razor sharpness by Willis68) in a knife pocket in the left leg of my cargo pants.  The knife opened unbeknown to me and was poking out of as hole it made in the fabric.  i sat down on the porch steps to rest a second while I was unloading the car.  Ran my hands down both legs and my palm immediately started bleeding.  It looked bad but I hate doing the ER thing so I debated with my wife on whether I should go or self treat.  She won that debate so off I go to the ER.  The 12 stitches they put in showed she was correct.   These pictures show the result.  All I can say is what a dumbass!

66916328561__5E547A19-93F8-417B-A781-186DBA233C35.jpg

66916530346__5B29FB7A-FE88-46C2-8238-9C3343B585CE.jpg

• Wow 8

Welcome to the club.... Was fun when I went to the hospital and showed the front desk what happened. Took the knuckle of my index finger right down. She almost barfed when I let a lil blood squirt. Many scars over the years. Still healing right now from CTS hand surgery. Just a lil ways down from where yours is on my love line or whatever they call it. lol

My last loss to a blade was while sharpening a lawnmower blade (technically a big double bladed knife). The file slipped and I ended up punching the newly sharpened blade. I even probably had a pair of Level6 cut resistant gloves near by. 

292257DC-FE31-4BF7-970A-AA89BC18664D.thumb.jpeg.4394cc7eff27fc23699d8d0567dd6900.jpeg

• Wow 1

I feel your pain.  Back when I shot a lot of trap I reloaded my shotgun shells.  I was in a grove and didn't realize the powder had run out.  I had to start cutting shells open to see where i ran out.  The knife slipped and took 11 stitches to close up my palm.  Just missed opening up my wrist.

2C977E6F-2308-4C4A-AE9E-BD1BC5A92530.jpg

I don't have a picture, but my dumbest self-inflicted cut happened when I was 10 or 11 years old.  I had a stupid ritual of "beheading" a banana with a paring knife instead of peeling it like a normal stupid kid.  One day I shot 1/4" left and hit the side of my thumb.  The blade hit at an angle and made about a 1/2" cut and lacked 1/8" taking the whole corner off.  That one bled.  What really sucked was getting the sliced nail hung on everything as my thumb healed up.  Never was the smartest kid in class...

Edited by deerslayer
18 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Damn dude. That sucks, I know. I didn’t get stitches but I learned that same lesson the hard way. Always use the safety on an auto. 

Learned that lesson.  The Benchmade Adamas doesn’t have a safety, but is kinda hard to open, for an automatic.  Apparently not too hard,though.  Lol. I’m gonna switch to one if my pro techs that does have a  safety.  The Adamas will go into my go bag, that is always with me.  

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

OUCH!  Hope you heal quickly!

Automatic and assisted side-openers have always worried me a bit, especially if they don't have a safety of some sort.  I have carried several of my knives "tip down" just so that I didn't have to worry about the blade opening -- even partially -- inside of my pocket and causing me to slice myself open as I reached in for something else.

One of my favorite knives right now is a Guardian Tactical "RECON-035" out the front automatic.  It doesn't have a safety but the thumb switch takes a deliberate push.  I am still not convinced that it couldn't suffer an ND because of motion from my pants material, etc.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TGO David said:

OUCH!  Hope you heal quickly!

Automatic and assisted side-openers have always worried me a bit, especially if they don't have a safety of some sort.  I have carried several of my knives "tip down" just so that I didn't have to worry about the blade opening -- even partially -- inside of my pocket and causing me to slice myself open as I reached in for something else.

One of my favorite knives right now is a Guardian Tactical "RECON-035" out the front automatic.  It doesn't have a safety but the thumb switch takes a deliberate push.  I am still not convinced that it couldn't suffer an ND because of motion from my pants material, etc.

Yep.  My Benchmade Adamas is very difficult to open, or so i thought.  its not a simple button you push, but one that requires you to slide the button downwards quite a bit.  I'm at a loss how it can be accidentally done, but my hand is proof that it can.  Only ones with a safety from now on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Smart move. My wife is furious that I want to buy a motorcycle but I've not found a way to hide it from her. I have woods behind my house. Considering parking it there and throwing a camo tarp over it.

Don't mean to pry, but just wondering about the source of her being furious.    Money, safety, taking away time with her, all of the above, something else?    Maybe as either current or previous bike owners, we can give you some good talking points.    Or you could go the route of, "I'll get a bike if I want...I wear the pants in the family".   Doesn't require a smart man to predict how that will turn out.   🙂

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Trekbike said:

Don't mean to pry, but just wondering about the source of her being furious.    Money, safety, taking away time with her, all of the above, something else?    Maybe as either current or previous bike owners, we can give you some good talking points.    Or you could go the route of, "I'll get a bike if I want...I wear the pants in the family".   Doesn't require a smart man to predict how that will turn out.   🙂

When we met 12 years ago she said that she would never tell me what I could or couldn't do except for the issue of having a motorcycle. She asked that I never get one because she had two uncles get killed on bikes through no fault of their own. I never had any interest until recently so it wasn't an issue. 

So she has every right to be angry at me since I had swore I would never get one. She's pretty awesome so I'm trying to decide next steps. 

Doesn't sound like your wife would be bike friendly, you love her spend your money on something else. People really don't look for bikes. Not so bad here, but in new york if you don't almost get run off the road once or twice a day  must be something wrong.

Bummer, my last hand cut was between the fingers in the webbing. Stepped in a hole in some hedges I was trimming with my gas hedge trimmers. Reached out to catch myself and grabbed the trimmer blade. Got off pretty easy, just a few stitches and still have all fingers. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, TGO David said:

Yeah.  Getting into knives did NOT save me money by not buying as many guns.  It just gave me two expensive hobbies.

Yep, i just start with cheap knife and it is pushing me to get better ones. I think of my daughter everytime there might be a gooddeal