So hard to find a mosin

Man, why is it so hard to find a decent mosin for anything under $400? Trying to find my first one, but I'm not quite ready to spend $500 on a plain one with no ammo. I wish I could still find them for dirt cheap like a few years ago.  Anyone getting rid of one? Hahaha.

Are these surplus Mosin 91/30 stocks actually selling at $100-120 now?  I know they're often listed at those prices, curious how many sell in that range.  There should be quite a few of them out there, as at one time it was common to strip the rusted/damaged rifles from their stocks and sell parts individually.  About 10-12 years ago AIM had thousands of these stocks available after one of the big shipments from Ukraine arrived.  I haven't kept up with accoutrements prices in a few years now, although I do try to stay on top of complete rifle pricing.

I suspect you will need to get over the under $500 thing unless you are looking for junk . My Finns came from Wholesale 15-20 years ago bought out of their premium section and most were near $400 then . Are you looking for Russian or Finn Mosins  and  how many do you want.

40 minutes ago, Eddie Southgate said:

I suspect you will need to get over the under $500 thing unless you are looking for junk . My Finns came from Wholesale 15-20 years ago bought out of their premium section and most were near $400 then . Are you looking for Russian or Finn Mosins  and  how many do you want.

If all the OP is after is a basic refurbished 91/30, with some careful searching he can still probably find one in the $300-400 range.  He won't get any uncommon dates or variants for that (unless he just happens to stumble on someone who hasn't been keeping up lately) but I still see Mosins crop up at those prices occasionally ...

15 hours ago, Eddie Southgate said:

Russian is fine, just looking for anything that shoots well and isn't too abused.

1 hour ago, imageoftheson said:

Russian is fine, just looking for anything that shoots well and isn't too abused.

I got a couple of nice Russian's but compared to the worst Finn I ever owned they are dog's as shooters . If you want a real sure enough shooter save your money and buy a Finn m39 or a m28 . They are ten times the rifle a Russian 91/30 will be . The Russians I have shoot ok but with the sights as they come there is a lot of difference in POA vs POI . Some are cantered but might be 6-8" high and some are not centered but are 6-8" high . The Fins have windage adjustable front sights and the lower settings on the modified rear sight's they used allow for 100 yard shooting with a point blank aim with the 180-200 grain bullets I load . Much better rifles. I am gonna thin the herd before too much longer and will holler at you when I do if you think you might be interested but they wont be cheap. The quality however will be as good as you will find. I just have too many and my son's are not too interested in the foreign military stuff so I will be getting rid of all but a few that I own sometime in the near future.

PS: I missed out on the $100 dollar guns , didn't even buy the Russians when they were less than half that . 

Edited by Eddie Southgate
6 hours ago, Eddie Southgate said:

I got a couple of nice Russian's but compared to the worst Finn I ever owned they are dog's as shooters . If you want a real sure enough shooter save your money and buy a Finn m39 or a m28 . They are ten times the rifle a Russian 91/30 will be . The Russians I have shoot ok but with the sights as they come there is a lot of difference in POA vs POI . Some are cantered but might be 6-8" high and some are not centered but are 6-8" high . The Fins have windage adjustable front sights and the lower settings on the modified rear sight's they used allow for 100 yard shooting with a point blank aim with the 180-200 grain bullets I load . Much better rifles. I am gonna thin the herd before too much longer and will holler at you when I do if you think you might be interested but they wont be cheap. The quality however will be as good as you will find. I just have too many and my son's are not too interested in the foreign military stuff so I will be getting rid of all but a few that I own sometime in the near future.

PS: I missed out on the $100 dollar guns , didn't even buy the Russians when they were less than half that . 

I'll definitely be interested when you do. Hopefully I'll have the funds at that time.

I have a Mosin Nagant on an Archangel Opfor stock that I've been planning on letting go. Have $500 in it which is what I'd like to get for it. Caught a deal on about 200+ rounds of Russian surplus ammo for it too. The ammo would be a different price of course as I'm looking for one of those sniper style AK rifles that take the same round and not looking to really let the ammo go. 

• 2 weeks later...

^^ This ^^

I bought a Hex receiver 1934 Tula 91/30 and an M44 in 2013 just before the prices started going nuts. In the $100-150 range and a couple of spam cans of milsurp ammo when that was cheap too, they're fun plinkers, but for the $400+ range we see now, no way.

As a WW2/historic collectible, that's different, but as a shooter, the current price doesn't match the experience.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:16 AM, gregintenn said:

In my opinion, they were sort of a neat novelty when they were sub $100 and ammo was cheap. I don't have any use for one given today's prices of both rifles and ammo. I can buy a much nicer rifle for less money.

On 4/1/2022 at 11:06 AM, monkeylizard said:

^^ This ^^

I bought a Hex receiver 1934 Tula 91/30 and an M44 in 2013 just before the prices started going nuts. In the $100-150 range and a couple of spam cans of milsurp ammo when that was cheap too, they're fun plinkers, but for the $400+ range we see now, no way.

As a WW2/historic collectible, that's different, but as a shooter, the current price doesn't match the experience.

I agree on the Russians, I would hesitate to buy one at current prices . The Fin model 39's and model 28's are another story. They took the Russians and built a real rifle from it . They shoot great groups and it ain't hard to get them to do it. They are the majority of what I have and they were not cheap even when I was buying them. Try one , you will like it.

Eddie

I was at the Tennessee Military Collectors Association show this Easter weekend and saw several at high prices. What a difference a few years makes. I use to see them there for $100 +- all day long.  Didn’t see many of them selling though.