Budget 1911

swiley383

Think I am finally going to get a 1911 looking at the Rock Island FS in 45acp with 5in barrel. I think I asked this a while back but has any one thought changed on this I know there also seems to be some coming out of Turkey that look decent as well. 

Have not owned a RIA. Several of my friends have and they like them. With that said it seems like people who buy them do a lot of modifications to get them to their liking. Really though, that’s kind of the nature of 1911’s

personally I find that they are too stiff and a bit rough oob for my liking  Two examples I shot were ceracoated shortly after purchase  

As said before, they seem to be candidates for customization.  One could do a lot worse

1 hour ago, JustEd said:

Make sure it has a slide you can change the sights out on (dovetail).  Otherwise you will have to buy a whole slide just to change the sights.

Not necessarily, gunsmiths do slide cuts for new sights all the time. It’s cheaper than buying a new slide & you can choose which cut based on what sights you chose. Picking a model that already has dovetail cuts is the cheapest option, though.  

That adds extra cost though.

Not impossible to do, but why go that route when you can just get one with dovetails.  It makes more sense to me spend the money upfront and get what you want.  They aren't hard to find with dovetails.

Respect your perspective though.

disclaimer:  I am insistent that my guns have high visibility sights (old) and shoot to proper point of aim.

1 hour ago, JustEd said:

That adds extra cost though.

Not impossible to do, but why go that route when you can just get one with dovetails.  It makes more sense to me spend the money upfront and get what you want.  They aren't hard to find with dovetails.

Respect your perspective though.

disclaimer:  I am insistent that my guns have high visibility sights (old) and shoot to proper point of aim.

I think you and I said the same thing.

• Like 1

I was just looking for a plain jane .45 1911a1 like I carried in the Army, so none of that was what I was looking for.  Honestly, if I were looking to upgrade, I might look first at a higher end model that had some or all the whistles and bells, to see if I liked that sort of stuff. Then add better parts and pieces. 

Something like this.

Rock Island Armory Rock Standard FS .45 ACP 5 8+1 Black Rubber Grip Black | 51431 - Buds Gun Shop

Or this.

Tisas 1911 Duty Full Size 8+1 Stainless Steel 45 ACP (classicfirearms.com)

Well y'all know that I'm a 1911 guy. 🙄 I've come to like the Rock Island guns. Ain't nothing fancy, but they do work. I have three of 'em now. All were bought used.

The first was a .38 Super I stumbled across at a gun show back in 2015. Bought it just because I like the caliber and it was cheap. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a jam-o-matic. But I found the problem, it was minor, fixed it myself and now it runs like a top. 👍

The second I bought last year. Its my one and only 9mm 1911. Honestly, I've only had it to the range once. But it was flawless and accurate. Can't ask for more than that. 😉

Not long ago I ran into a good deal on a LNIB G.I. 45acp. Honestly, I had absolutely no need for it, just bought it on a whim because the price was good. I haven't even shot it yet. But it seems to be very well made. Still trying to decide if I'm gonna keep it or flip it. 🙄

As far as up-grades go, decide what you want it to be before buying. In most cases you can buy a slightly better model of the same brand with better sights, trigger, grips, etc for less cost than buying the plain G.I. model and later modifying it. There's no point in wasting money. 

Also, don't fall into the up-grade trap. Do only those up-grades that make the gun better for you. Not everybody needs extended this or custom that. Most of these things are more about looks than actual improvements. In my personal 1911s I like a long trigger, decent sights and an arched mainspring housing. I need absolutely nothing else. 😉

• Like 1

My first 1911 was a RIA GI in 45 ACP. It served me very well but I ended up selling it and regretting that later. I actually ended up loving the crude sights and the classic lines.

If you're going to get one in 45, like 1911's are supposed to be IMO, it's worth taking into consideration that 45 ACP isn't a budget caliber. This is less of a factor if you reload but still a factor. It might be worth paying more up front to buy a better piece if ammo is $30+ for 50 rounds every time you hit the range.

It's also good to honestly ask yourself what the purpose of the gun is to you. If it's to fill a defensive role, 8 rounds, no light mounting capability and a heritage of reliability issues might not be the best choice.

Having said that, that's not what 1911's are for to me circa 2022. They are great range guns with a rich history and an iconic look. If you plan on upgrading it, the Rock FS Ultra guns might have most of the features you're looking for out of the box and are worth a look.

• Like 1

5xVwu5z.jpg

I love my RIA 4". I bought it used. It came with a box of ammo with a magazine's worth missing. I'm pretty sure that's all it had been shot. I added an ambi safety lever, 3 dot sights, and the elk stag grips. I have some nicer 1911s, but this one is probably my favorite.

• Like 1

I had a new Remington 1911A1 I gave to my grandson this year. Liked it but am not a 1911 guy. I purchased it at Bass Pro on a moonlight/Xmas special several years ago. Got it after store discount and after rebate, for 450.00 new I B. Grandson was with me and I told him I would give it to him when I was finished with it.

Giving my excess guns to grandchildren so wifie will not have to mess with them after I am gone, if I go first. 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, pop pop said:

I had a new Remington 1911A1 I gave to my grandson this year. Liked it but am not a 1911 guy. I purchased it at Bass Pro on a moonlight/Xmas special several years ago. Got it after store discount and after rebate, for 450.00 new I B. Grandson was with me and I told him I would give it to him when I was finished with it.

Giving my excess guns to grandchildren so wifie will not have to mess with them after I am gone, if I go first. 

Let's hope that's a long way off for both of you! 🙂 

I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with, the little place I used to work carried both Rock Island and Tisas (and one or two others), and having played with both, as well as received customer feedback, I'd be all over that Tisas 1911A1 in a minute. It just "felt" more like the old 1911A1 we carried on watch in my squidly days. In truth, the Tisas of today reminds me of the Norinco 1911s of the 90's. They were some nice basic guns that actually had decent metal in them.