Check out this mag change video!!

Guest pherman926

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source war·ri·or premium.gifspeaker.gif (wôr'ē-ər, wŏr'-) Pronunciation Key

n.

1. One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
  2. One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict: neighborhood warriors fighting against developers.

I don't see any reference to top physical shape as a pre-requisite to zealously defending one-self... It's certainly advisable, but noone knows when they will be thrust into a fight for their life, in order to make perfect preparation. We are not all paid soldiers, but paid soldiers are not always there to fight every battle for us.

By comparison, I am not a trained fire-fighter, and I don't have a fire-engine in my garage... but I'll be damned if I don't have a fire-extinguisher and know how to at least use it... I'm sure some fat people can use a fire-extinguisher effectively too.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.

I'd say a bit more than just experienced in battle. I'd say you have to have acted responsibly in battle. Cowering behind a tree during the fray gives you experience, but doesn't make you a warrior by my thinking.

Reminds me of something I once read about speaker response. As one writer pointed out, a speaker making horrible noises and bursting into flame might be a response by the speaker to a signal. But this is not what most people think of as speaker response. :clap:

Acquitting yourself in battle is what I look for in a warrior.

Guest Terry J

Personally, I'd rather spend my time coaxing a WWII vet into talking about his Pacific Theater experience, as I did yesterday afternoon, than watching someone do quick changes. But your mileage may vary and that's fine too.

Its funny you say this. I just got done watching flags of out fathers and when i was at the part about the boats carrying the troops to the shore i remembered my grandfather telling me that he was there driving the boats so I had to call him and verify my memory was correct which it was and i got to listen to more stories about it. All of which i always find intruiging.

Just a side note off topic.

As far as the topic I shoot good enough for me and I hit what im aiming at so all this competition stuff to me is a waste of money i dont have.

Terry, I'm glad your grandfather is around to talk to. Since he's willing to talk (a lot of guys won't) get him to give you a first-hand education on WWII.

My wife's father was at Normandy and went on to the Bulge.

My father did not serve in the WWII military. All I ever heard is that "they" decided he was more valuable doing what he was doing than in the military. Looking back, that was pretty cryptic, but didn't register with me at the time. He was an expert in industrial instrumentation. After his death I found his WWII badges for access at Oak Ridge. He never mentioned that.

I would think that a warrior is one who has proven themselves in conflict. Many people can claim to be a warrior but a warrior is a title earned by deeds not just talk. That said I do believe one can try to cultivate a "warrior mindset" to try and better prepare themselves for conflicts and how to attack a given situation. If you don't think about and/or prepare for the worse case scenario you will be ill prepared to deal with it.

Guest Terry J

Through the years he done several things with the Navy. Driving the boats at IWO and several other placed was just the tip of the iceberg per say. Mostly he was an aircraft mechanic and has lots of stories for that. He was once on the flight deck when a plane trapped and one of the arresting wires broke his friend was standing beside him not more than a foot or so away was cut in two from it. That was one of the more gruesome stories but to see that happen right in front of me would give me a new respect for life thats for sure. My girlfriends dad is always telling me stories of when he was in vietnam. He was one of the very first navy frogmen and has tons interesting stuff to tell about that. As far as your dad if he could have said something i bet he would of had some VERY interesting accounts of the wars. My dad was not in the military but my grandfather on my dads side which died when i was small was in the army for wwII and when my dad died i was going through all his pictures and found a bunch of my grandfather in various places in the war. At some point i dont know the entire story a japanese officer surrendered to him and gave him his rifle and bayonet and katana sword all of which I have now. Working on a military base you always hear stories but the ones i hear from older men in vietnam and WWII always seem more real and serious and not so much oh your not gonna believe what we did over in such and such place like the stories i hear everyday around here. But then again wars are not fought anywhere near the way they were and i the people i have talked to that have went over to saudi and bosnia dont really discuss anything about it but who can blame them im sure it wasnt pretty or a fun trip that they want to recall anytime soon.

Guest Terry J
I would think that a warrior is one who has proven themselves in conflict. Many people can claim to be a warrior but a warrior is a title earned by deeds not just talk. That said I do believe one can try to cultivate a "warrior mindset" to try and better prepare themselves for conflicts and how to attack a given situation. If you don't think about and/or prepare for the worse case scenario you will be ill prepared to deal with it.

I believe people who call themseves warriors are fake. I believe a true warrior would never boast it just like a true hero would never claim to be a hero. I believe a true warrior is a person that has the dicipline or training to deal with most situations with a calm and collective thought process as to avoid any unnecessary risks. Warriors do not seek battle, they deal with it if the situation should arrive.

Just my 2 cents.

I believe a true warrior would never boast it just like a true hero would never claim to be a hero.

Warriors do not seek battle, they deal with it if the situation should arrive.

Well said. But some warriors may talk to each other about what they did. More therapy than information in some ways. However, I've seldom heard real warriors boasting about it unless they are of advanced rank from brown-nosing. :clap:

A lot of combat vets never talk about what they did. The standard phrase is, "I did my job." That's particularly true of WWII vets. Unfortunately by Vietnam, it became fashionable in some circles to tell how bad we had it. “War is not healthy for children and other living things" and all that whining.

I believe people who call themseves warriors are fake. I believe a true warrior would never boast it just like a true hero would never claim to be a hero. I believe a true warrior is a person that has the dicipline or training to deal with most situations with a calm and collective thought process as to avoid any unnecessary risks. Warriors do not seek battle, they deal with it if the situation should arrive.

Just my 2 cents.

Well Said:up:

By comparison, I am not a trained fire-fighter, and I don't have a fire-engine in my garage... but I'll be damned if I don't have a fire-extinguisher and know how to at least use it... I'm sure some fat people can use a fire-extinguisher effectively too.

That was mainly my point. While I agree that being overweight certainly can/does hinder certain things, I don't think being overweight in and of itself automatically negates the possibility of being that, either.

• Administrator

I don't have a pony in this show... but it seems to me that what defines a person as being a "warrior" is what they do with all of their fancy training combined with whatever innate reflexive willpower they have to overcome the adversary when the proverbial **** hits the fan.

If they rise to the occasion, then that suggests to me that there is a warrior within them. If they shrink from confrontation (hide in a ditch, run like a girl in the opposite direction, etc.) then that tells me they're full of crap and should STFU.

I don't think all warriors have been soldiers, but I do think that the best soldiers have been real warriors.

Just my 2 cents.

• Administrator

By the way... back to the original topic of this thread. The guy in the mag change video is wicked fast. I can't see where having the speed and agility to reload like that could possibly be a bad thing even in a real life combat situation.

Is it imperative that a person possess that ability in order to defend themself? Absolutely not. But you've gotta admit that once you have muscle memory like THAT programmed into your lizard brain, the odds of you fumble f###ing a reload under stress are significantly decreased. :D

By the way, after shooting with a few really fast folks in a few USPSA matches, I can safely say that there are some "Gamers" (to use the term of distaste that I see thrown about so often) out there who I absolutely wouldn't want to get into a firefight with. The really good ones absolutely know how to shoot on the move, shoot from cover, and put a boatload of lead into a small space in a really short period of time.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who sneer at "gaming" have ever really gone and watched mid and high level matches.

By the way... back to the original topic of this thread. The guy in the mag change video is wicked fast. I can't see where having the speed and agility to reload like that could possibly be a bad thing even in a real life combat situation.

Is it imperative that a person possess that ability in order to defend themself? Absolutely not. But you've gotta admit that once you have muscle memory like THAT programmed into your lizard brain, the odds of you fumble f###ing a reload under stress are significantly decreased. :popcorn:

By the way, after shooting with a few really fast folks in a few USPSA matches, I can safely say that there are some "Gamers" (to use the term of distaste that I see thrown about so often) out there who I absolutely wouldn't want to get into a firefight with. The really good ones absolutely know how to shoot on the move, shoot from cover, and put a boatload of lead into a small space in a really short period of time.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who sneer at "gaming" have ever really gone and watched mid and high level matches.

Thank You Sir!!!!!!

DaG

I agree, but it works both ways. Conversely, I have seen people that aren't gamers that I wouldn't want to get into a firefight with. For instance, I'm not a gamer*, but I'm a pretty fast and accurate shooter.

The only problem I have is the attitude that fast is ALWAYS better no matter what the circumstance, and that just because someone is fast, they are a warrior. Either can be true (IMO) but I don't think they are ALWAYS true. However, I should note that being fast certainly doesn't hurt anything, but "fast" in and of itself isn't the only tactic that exists.

*My definition of "gamer" is someone who plans out every stage, looking for every conceivable way to make the stage faster, within the rules, even if something they do doesn't make "tactical" sense. Your definition may vary.