Timney Glock Alpha Trigger

Has anyone used one of these in any generation? I’ve built a 19X out that I will likely be using for competition and am wondering if it’s money well spent. I’ve always disliked the mushy feel you get from a minus connector or any of the other brands.  With this being a different type of mechanism, I’m just wondering if it’s worth it. I know that’s super subjective but think more along the lines of competition and not SD. 

This gen 5 stock trigger isn’t bad, I’d just prefer a shorter, crisper break. Which is what they advertise……..

My son put one in his gen 4 G17, the break is clean and crisp but light, we measured it at 3.5 lbs which is fine for a range or competition gun. 

The reset is a little sluggish, It comes with 2 different weight return springs he installed the heavier of the two to try and help with that.

I didn’t notice the reset so much when shooting though, mainly when dry firing. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, expendable said:

My son put one in his gen 4 G17, the break is clean and crisp but light, we measured it at 3.5 lbs which is fine for a range or competition gun. 

The reset is a little sluggish, It comes with 2 different weight return springs he installed the heavier of the two to try and help with that.

I didn’t notice the reset so much when shooting though, mainly when dry firing. 

The reset was the one thing I was worried about. I keep seeing that come up as an issue. Thanks for the info. 

It’s still a nice trigger and the reset seemed like a non issue when I was shooting it. 

Because the break is so nice I think Timney would have a real winner on there hands if they put a heavier return spring in that brought the pull up to about 4.5 lbs and gave it a stronger reset. 

• Like 1

I shot one in a 17.5 and 34.5 in Carry Optics last year and I like them a lot.  The reset initially didn't hit you in the mouth like most Glocks do, but the second spring they started shipping with it pretty much fixed that.  I got them below 3 pounds with a  Lone Wolf connector and some polish.  The advantage of a Timney is it doesn't need a lighter striker spring to get a low pull weight, so light strikes aren't an issue like some Glocks with maxed out triggers.  However, I ended up with a 5 lb striker spring because I was playing recoil spring games and the 5 lb striker spring aided lockup.  Obviously, these were gamer guns.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I shot one in a 17.5 and 34.5 in Carry Optics last year and I like them a lot.  The reset initially didn't hit you in the mouth like most Glocks do, but the second spring they started shipping with it pretty much fixed that.  I got them below 3 pounds with a  Lone Wolf connector and some polish.  The advantage of a Timney is it doesn't need a lighter striker spring to get a low pull weight, so light strikes aren't an issue like some Glocks with maxed out triggers.  However, I ended up with a 5 lb striker spring because I was playing recoil spring games and the 5 lb striker spring aided lockup.  Obviously, these were gamer guns.  

I think for now I have decided to just learn the stock trigger better. While I’ll mainly shoot this one in matches more than I’d carry it, I’d like to have the option. This means not turning it into a full on gamer. 
It’s also rather eye opening to see how many national champs or high level shooters there are that won titles with a stock polished Glock trigger system.

Different topic but kind of the same….many are teaching that slapping the trigger is not bad. Now that I can see my point of aim with the dot, I kind of agree. With a proper grip using plenty of power, I can just pull straight through the trigger ignoring the “wall” and that dot doesn’t move much more than if I were working the trigger in a more traditional manner.  

35 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

It’s also rather eye opening to see how many national champs or high level shooters there are that won titles with a stock polished Glock trigger system.

I don’t think that’s as common as it used to be.  

35 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

Different topic but kind of the same….many are teaching that slapping the trigger is not bad. Now that I can see my point of aim with the dot, I kind of agree. With a proper grip using plenty of power, I can just pull straight through the trigger ignoring the “wall” and that dot doesn’t move much more than if I were working the trigger in a more traditional manner.  

I don’t like “slapping” the trigger, but it works for some.  A “rolling break” aids in slapping and different connectors can drastically change how a trigger feels.  I have gradually morphed toward the rolling break feel, but not so I can slap it. 

For $30 or so, you make a Glock trigger go from zero to hero. 

Edited by deerslayer
7 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

I don’t think that’s as common as it used to be.  

I don’t like “slapping” the trigger, but it works for some.  A “rolling break” aids in slapping and different connectors can drastically change how a trigger feels.  I have gradually morphed toward the rolling break feel, but not so I can slap it. 

For $30 or so, you make a Glock trigger go from zero to hero. 

You are probably right. The only alternate connector I’ve ever really cared for was the - connector. This is my first dot connector though and it’s not too far off.
I’m sure I can get by with it in IDPA but may look into something else once I get classified in USPSA. I’ve been shooting the slower of the two sports for years and am ready to jump into a little more speed. 

1 hour ago, maroonandwhite said:

You are probably right. The only alternate connector I’ve ever really cared for was the - connector. This is my first dot connector though and it’s not too far off.
I’m sure I can get by with it in IDPA but may look into something else once I get classified in USPSA. I’ve been shooting the slower of the two sports for years and am ready to jump into a little more speed. 

A Lone Wolf 342 connector is different from most of the other connectors.  The “wall” is not as pronounced.  

Shooting minor in USPSA requires serious accuracy.  You can get away with a bunch of charlies on a high hit factor stage with a major gun, but minor charlies can kill you on certain stages.