Looking for the "perfect" property carry gun...for snakes and other critters.

TennGunner

I want to carry on our property and carry something for snakes and other issues.  Considering the following and would love some thoughts:

1) Ruger Stainless 357 Blackhawk (most likely convertible for shooting options).  Thinking could load a cylinder or two with snake shot.  Cons that they are heavy but love the looks and feel in the hand.

2) Governor or other 410 revolver.....good with snake shot but heavy and large. Feel it really isn't a great gun for anything else.

3) Smaller 357 for more convenience and still load snake shot and defensive ammo...thinking a Ruger SP101 or Smith Mod 60.

Thoughts?

Edited by TennGunner

I bought a 3" Judge for that exact purpose.  If I am just carrying around around my property, size isn't such a issue.  It's not like you have to conceal it.  I also just put a holster in my tractor so I don't have to wear it while on it.

I vote Judge too.  There is a nice Judge posted on here that is polymer (light weight)

I picked up a S&W Governor for kayaking.  Snakes in general do not bother me but a copperhead when I get out on a bank may not like me too much and I dang sure don't want a cottonmouth trying to catch a ride.

Anyone of those would do. You might consider a Ruger GP100 7 shot revolver or a S&W 686 7 Shot. Or if those are too expensive, step down to a Taurus Tracker 627 7 shot .357.  I have one of those. It's my hiking pistol. 

I don't get the love for the Governor or the Judge, But that's just my opinion and prejudice.

I have a Judge that I find to be rather useless.  I have never had a good reason to shoot a snake, but I have a rat problem in an outbuilding (all the more reason not to shoot snakes). I've killed a bunch of rats with the Judge, but it has an effective range on rats of about 4 feet using .410.  make sure your are wearing eye protection at those distances, I caught some shot ricocheting to my face last week.  I find the grouping using the 45LC out of the Judge to be less than impressive. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I have a Judge that I find to be rather useless.  I have never had a good reason to shoot a snake, but I have a rat problem in an outbuilding (all the more reason not to shoot snakes). I've killed a bunch of rats with the Judge, but it has an effective range on rats of about 4 feet using .410.  make sure your are wearing eye protection at those distances, I caught some shot ricocheting to my face last week.  I find the grouping using the 45LC out of the Judge to be less than impressive. 

I KNEW this was gonna come up 🤣

• Haha 1

I'd just look at what you already have. Basically, you want a gun that is easy to carry, won't get in the way of doing chores and is adequate to deal with any perceived situation. I feel that just about any medium frame pistol/revolver in a reasonable self defense caliber carried in a proper holster would be just about right. 

My personal favorite camping/hiking/woods gun is this 3" S&W Model 60-4 Chief's Special Target. Just a little 5 shot J-frame .38 Special. But can be carried completely un-noticed unless needed. 😉

M87FbnG.jpg

I think people tend to worry a lot more about snakes than they need to. A snake is very rarely a threat to a human. Most are extremely beneficial to have around. I prefer to simply leave them alone. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 4

All good suggestions and you are thinking along the correct lines.

I was at the same crossroads years ago as I ride my horses over my farm and in the connecting wooded areas of the community.  Some rides can be several miles over some rough territory.  While the snakes and critters are a concern, given the direction of society in general, it is the "two-legged" critters that concern me the most so I want reliability as well as firepower.  

My current selections consist of a rotation between my Glock 20 (10mm) and my Ruger SP-101 in .357.  Both have all that I need and are very easy to carry in an environment where I am not concerned about concealability, "printing" or other such things.

Best of luck to you and enjoy the outdoors.

• Like 1

I just throw 3 snake shot loads into my EDC, Taurus Mdl 617 7 shot snub revolver and go. Been marking horse trails in dense brush/woods (90 acers) (daughters horse farm) the past 2 weeks. Got them cleared last week. Daughter is riding them today with several friends. 

This combination has served me well. I have killed snakes, with this set up before, but you must be close (10 feet or so). By the way I walked over 65 acers and never saw one snake, but I know they are out on warm days but moving slow. Saw a picture of a 3' black snake, on my neighbor's carport, last week. 

Edited to add; 38 Spl CCI snake shot loads.

Edited by pop pop
add content
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, pop pop said:

I just throw 3 snake shot loads into my EDC, Taurus Mdl 617 7 shot snub revolver and go. Been marking horse trails in dense brush/woods (90 acers) (daughters horse farm) the past 2 weeks. Got them cleared last week. Daughter is riding them today with several friends. 

This combination has served me well. I have killed snakes, with this set up before, but you must be close (10 feet or so). By the way I walked over 65 acers and never saw one snake, but I know they are out on warm days but moving slow. Saw a picture of a 3' black snake, on my neighbor's carport, last week. 

Edited to add; 38 Spl CCI snake shot loads.

I suspect the Taurus 617, is the little sister of the  627. Just has the shorter barrel.

It’s against the law to kill any snake native to TN. Unless you pull the ole “it’s coming right for me”.  Most are harmless and want to be left alone.  don’t get fancy posting your trophy on social media 

• Like 7
On 3/31/2022 at 11:43 AM, Moped said:

Anyone of those would do. You might consider a Ruger GP100 7 shot revolver or a S&W 686 7 Shot. Or if those are too expensive, step down to a Taurus Tracker 627 7 shot .357.  I have one of those. It's my hiking pistol. 

I don't get the love for the Governor or the Judge, But that's just my opinion and prejudice.

I have and love my Rugers, and agree on the Judge but like the thought of a 410 rather than 38 snake shot. 

• Like 1

Thanks all for sort of confirming my thoughts on a Judge or similar 410 revolver.  One revolver I’ve always wanted (but don’t really need so I’ll stick with WANT), is a stainless model 60 in 357 although I’d almost exclusively shoot 38’s in it. I think that may really fit the bill here. Thanks all!

• Like 1

I almost bought a Judge a couple of times over the years and could never go through with the purchase after I had it in my hands, it is ugly and I didn't like the feel. What I ended up buying from a fellow TGO member was a S&W Governor. It does the Judge think of .410 and .45 long Colt but also shoots .45acp in moon clips. Looks nice and most of my friends refer to it as my hand canon. I do the occasional plinking usually with .45acp and carpenter bee skeet with .410. Don't need it but wanted it and it solved the itch.

• Like 2

I have a Model 69 Combat Magnum for this purpose.  I load my own shot shells for it.  Haven’t tried it on a snake yet but works well for the carpenter bees destroying my deck.  

P.S.  Don’t tell your neighbor you’re using shotshells and let him think you’re a crackshot.😁

• Haha 1

I've carried a variety on the tractor over the years. When bushogging it's common to see field mice and a lot of times rats run away and have thought it would be fun to shoot at them. Considered a Judge, but decided I'd need to be pretty fast and with a big tractor to contend with I'd probably not be much good at hitting them anyway. I also often have coyotes come follow behind the tractor, and they can get pretty close. They don't seem to notice me driving it. I've sort of settled on a Keltec PMR30 and have a surplus holster that fits it pretty good mounted right under the steering wheel. Shot one yote a couple of years ago with it while bushogging. 

Edited by seez52
  • Like 1