Looking for the "perfect" property carry gun...for snakes and other critters.

TennGunner

Wife and I both carry J Frames with the first three as CCI large shot snake loads (reddish shot capsule). She has her Model 60, I put my M&P 340 in a IWB holster and carry a speed strip in a side pocket.

She found this little guy dead in a pile of leaves a couple of days ago when it was warm.

IMG_4720.jpg

I am preparing for the flames, but for snake charming, I carry around a Heritage 22 Mag revolver with snake shot.  Light, cheap, and so far effective

Now if we are discussing non-reptilian snakes, that would probably be a different matter.....

3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Why does one need to kill snakes?

So that by the act of killing said snakes, they are then rendered into a state of no longer possessing life, thusly transforming them into creatures that, being once alive, are now in all actuality, deceased. Speaking only for myself, one man, yep, that’s really the best I can come up with…I need to kill a snake because that’s the most efficient way to make them dead. With it dead and all, I no longer have to worry about coming up on it…well, you know, alive.

Now I realize that snakes keep the mice and the rats killed off, and that’s great…but so do cats. My wife took our kids and stayed with her folks for a whole week back in our fifth year of marriage (many moons ago), and all because she saw a snake in our basement. Big ol sucker too! Now, guess how she reacted when this hungry momma cat showed up at our door? Yep, took it in and fed her - she became part of the family for nearly a decade. We never saw another critter after we got her, either.

So, speaking only for me: snake=unhappy wife & unhappy wife=miserable me; whereas: no snake=happy wife & happy wife=very happy me

PS I was just having fun there at the first, I really hope it’s as obvious for those who read it as it was to me when I wrote it, but this doesn’t always manifest itself as clearly as I would like sometimes, due both to my overall lack of skill as a writer and the loss of inflection and tone that can change everything when speaking. I was going for a laugh there…the rest was the complete truth as I lived it.

1 hour ago, JD_Shellnut said:

So that by the act of killing said snakes, they are then rendered into a state of no longer possessing life, thusly transforming them into creatures that, being once alive, are now in all actuality, deceased. Speaking only for myself, one man, yep, that’s really the best I can come up with…I need to kill a snake because that’s the most efficient way to make them dead. With it dead and all, I no longer have to worry about coming up on it…well, you know, alive.

Now I realize that snakes keep the mice and the rats killed off, and that’s great…but so do cats. My wife took our kids and stayed with her folks for a whole week back in our fifth year of marriage (many moons ago), and all because she saw a snake in our basement. Big ol sucker too! Now, guess how she reacted when this hungry momma cat showed up at our door? Yep, took it in and fed her - she became part of the family for nearly a decade. We never saw another critter after we got her, either.

So, speaking only for me: snake=unhappy wife & unhappy wife=miserable me; whereas: no snake=happy wife & happy wife=very happy me

PS I was just having fun there at the first, I really hope it’s as obvious for those who read it as it was to me when I wrote it, but this doesn’t always manifest itself as clearly as I would like sometimes, due both to my overall lack of skill as a writer and the loss of inflection and tone that can change everything when speaking. I was going for a laugh there…the rest was the complete truth as I lived it.

Yep. JD you lived up to my feedback post! Well done, Sir!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Garufa said:

Why does one need to kill snakes?

I'm with Garufa on this one.  If I see a black snake, chicken snake, or one of the many other non-poisonous versions, I leave 'em be as they do more good than bad. 

In TN there are only three poisonous snakes to be found.   The copperhead, water-moccasin and rattler.  Now, crossing paths with one of them is a different matter.

I know to respect them as my little brother was bit by a copper head when only three years old, while we were playing Army.  (This was before the days of video games and computers for any of the younger folks, ha).  Anyway, I do believe it is wise to have a thorough understanding of the wildlife we have around here and what is safe and what is dangerous.

I feel much safer in the deep woods of Tennessee than I do "strollin' through da hood."

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, Choatecav said:

I feel much safer in the deep woods of Tennessee than I do "strollin' through da hood."

Amen to that! Certainly a much smaller risk of encountering gang violence there, although I have encountered quite a bit of crack in the deep woods…just about every time I have to hike behind my Uncle Fatty. I’ve begged him to wear suspenders.

I grew up on a farm over in Morgan County, and, although it was seriously lacking in the aesthetics department, I found that carrying around a simple over/under .22/.410 combo very handy as a critter gun. I’m not going to profess this will dispatch a wild boar, but it’ll make enough noise to discourage it from hanging around for very long. 

Ya know, it takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round. I see good points everywhere I look on this forum. Y’all’s some very good folk and I’m just happy to be amongst my fellow Tennesseans. I really can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be!

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, JD_Shellnut said:

Amen to that! Certainly a much smaller risk of encountering gang violence there, although I have encountered quite a bit of crack in the deep woods…just about every time I have to hike behind my Uncle Fatty. I’ve begged him to wear suspenders.

I grew up on a farm over in Morgan County, and, although it was seriously lacking in the aesthetics department, I found that carrying around a simple over/under .22/.410 combo very handy as a critter gun. I’m not going to profess this will dispatch a wild boar, but it’ll make enough noise to discourage it from hanging around for very long. 

Ya know, it takes all kinds to make the world go ‘round. I see good points everywhere I look on this forum. Y’all’s some very good folk and I’m just happy to be amongst my fellow Tennesseans. I really can’t think of anywhere I’d rather be!

Loved the comment about all of the "crack" found behind Uncle Fatty...................

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, DasVidaniya said:

Mine works well on them 2 legged snakes.

I just love those big, meaty Colts! Look at it this way, should you happen to miss (an actual snake, not the 2 legged variety), you will have at the very least created a new home for the snake to live inside…..that is, until a family of bears decided to move in!

What a beauty you have, sir! I have always wanted one, but can never save the money long enough to get one as I invariably seem to end up buying something else once I have half the money for the Colt! Yours looks well taken care of, I might add.

Here’s a snake story for ya. Several years back I was doing a roof on a house that was basically in the middle of a field. The old plywood was being all replaced and every sheet we pulled out had hidden under it on top of the insulation at least 3-4 snake skins. There were hundreds of skins up there. We told the owner about it and he said they have never seen a snake in the house but to please not tell his wife about what we found. Haha. I guess all those field snakes were using the attic as their headquarters. He did say they had also never seen a rodent in the house either. 😎

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Gurn said:

Here’s a snake story for ya. Several years back I was doing a roof on a house that was basically in the middle of a field. The old plywood was being all replaced and every sheet we pulled out had hidden under it on top of the insulation at least 3-4 snake skins. There were hundreds of skins up there. We told the owner about it and he said they have never seen a snake in the house but to please not tell his wife about what we found. Haha. I guess all those field snakes were using the attic as their headquarters. He did say they had also never seen a rodent in the house either. 😎

Burn it and rebuild!!! The only good snake is a hatband!😉

Edited by hipower
  • Haha 1
On 4/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, DasVidaniya said:

My critter gun...

760568685_ColtKingCobra003.jpg.91e833c12b1cb3192fd96db041b1ac85.jpg

Colt King Cobra with Colt Target grips from Altamont.  I got big hands.

Sweeeeet!! But wouldn't take that into the woods. My old Taurus 44 Hunter would do the same job. Just wouldn't make me look as cool! LOL!

• Like 1
On 4/7/2022 at 4:52 PM, seez52 said:

I've carried a variety on the tractor over the years. When bushogging it's common to see field mice and a lot of times rats run away and have thought it would be fun to shoot at them. Considered a Judge, but decided I'd need to be pretty fast and with a big tractor to contend with I'd probably not be much good at hitting them anyway. I also often have coyotes come follow behind the tractor, and they can get pretty close. They don't seem to notice me driving it. I've sort of settled on a Keltec PMR30 and have a surplus holster that fits it pretty good mounted right under the steering wheel. Shot one yote a couple of years ago with it while bushogging. 

I like my Governor for this, but I can totally see my PMR-30 as well doing that job.

2 hours ago, Defender said:

I like my Governor for this, but I can totally see my PMR-30 as well doing that job.

If I actually got out in the woods much anymore I would probably take my S&W Governor also, loaded with with a couple of .410 and the rest in .45 Long Colt. Thought about buying some half moon clips so I could do partially .410 and .45acp but decided I would probably not use them.

#Defender - Try shooting your Governor after dark with .410, looks like a flame thrower.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

If I actually got out in the woods much anymore I would probably take my S&W Governor also, loaded with with a couple of .410 and the rest in .45 Long Colt. Thought about buying some half moon clips so I could do partially .410 and .45acp but decided I would probably not use them.

#Defender - Try shooting your Governor after dark with .410, looks like a flame thrower.

So does my sig  AR pistol with. 7.5 inch barrel!

Bought a Governor knowing we were moving here 6 years ago. Have never regretted my choice and the gun is carried a lot. I do kill water snakes and copperheads with it. Others get a pass. I hate water snakes with a passion, IMO they do nothing except eat the fish I stock in our pond.

Stray wild dogs are more of a problem but I have not been in a situation yet where I had to kill one (yet). Judging by the numbers I see lately I'll be buying more ammo soon.

You know, I'd really, really like to get a hold of one of those cheap, $30 Rohm RG .22 revolvers & ream out the barrel with a 6mm drill bit to make it a smooth bore. I reckon that would be a bunch of yucks in a barn full of rats, with .22 shot!

If anyone wants to part with one, I'd buy it just for that! 

Edited by Handsome Rob
2 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

You know, I'd really, really like to get a hold of one of those cheap, $30 Rohm RG .22 revolvers & ream out the barrel with a 6mm drill bit to make it a smooth bore. I reckon that would be a bunch of yucks in a barn full of rats, with .22 shot!

If anyone wants to part with one, I'd buy it just for that! 

Not sure you could kill a rat with .22 shot. Went from running the rabbits out of the brush for my Dad and his friends when we were hunting at about 8 or 9 to carrying a pump up pellet gun to a single shot .22 with bird shot. Shot a bit at close range and it sit there looking at me like why did you wake me up and then ran off. Graduated to a .410 the next year then a 20g.