Gunsmith recommendation/question.

I managed to get to the range today with my Ruger American .223 shooting 77gn TMKs. I'd pre-loaded a bunch for my old Savage, plus a few test rounds. All were loaded to the same length of 2.414" COAL. Longer than SAAMI spec, but well within the mag length (2.55")
However at 2.414" I'm jammed into the lands. Not touching, but "damn this bolt is hard to close" jammed (I need to measure) Accuracy was absolutely spectacular at well under an inch for 5 separate 5 round groups, but I was seeing some pretty disconcerting pressure signs (cratered & flowing primers)

I'm giving serious consideration to having the throat lengthened. I know I could load to chamber length, but I'm giving up a ton of case room that I'd much rather utilize.

Could anyone recommend a Smith to do the work, and if anyone has had this done, a rough idea of what it would cost?

I just did a quick & dirty chamber measure (bullet jammed into the chamber & measured from the crown, then crown to bolt face) 

I get a consistent measurement of 2.236" COAL with 77gn TMKs. That's terrible. My OAL is 2.416 so I'm into the lands by 0.178"! That's over a tenth of an inch (2.54mm in Catholic) I couldn't even load them to AR mag length at that measurement. 

This throat gotta go

40 minutes ago, Mike1000 said:

Be better to measure the CBTO and load to that length buddy. You may not be giving up as much case volume as you think. 

I don't have a comparator, COAL is the best I can do. It wouldn't really change anything though. TMKs have incredibly close tolerances (+/- 0.0001) and a hard acetate tip so I'm pretty confident. Even if I was off by 10 thou, I'd still be very deep into the lands. 

Edited by Handsome Rob

Tony at Strategic Edge recommended Echo 3 Armory in Chapel Hill & over the years I've  come to the conclusion that if he tells me something, I probably shouldn't argue. 

I'm taking it up there tomorrow for a good, hard, throating. $200(+/-) & a 6 week turnaround.

I can live with that! 

• Like 2

You seem like a pretty handy guy with your stuff. Its not rocket science to do a little throat deepening. You start out renting this for 30 bucks, an extension and a stop ring on the extension. Cutter oil and you can bang it out by hand in a half hour tops.

22 Center Fire Throater - 4D Reamer Rentals (4drentals.com)

I'm sure the guy does a nice job but those prices certainly are far more modern than what this ol 63 year old could bear to tell some one. I guess overhead is a killer theses days!