Scored a golden Oldie at the Crossville show today

I think I got a pretty fair deal on this one in 25-36M (25-35 Win). The guy wanted 1K, I offered 8 and met in the middle at 900. The bore looks shootable but has fine pitting all threw it with the lands being on the some what shinny side. I have over 300 fired 30-30 brass so I'm looking to resize some into 25-35. Anyone here done that? It has original sights and the screw slots are only slightly worked. Now its the mate to my 1893 30-30 take down. Just can't put my finger on out of all the rifles out there, a nice original shape 1893 calls to me. Pick one up off a table and my brain turns to jelly with wants.....just crazy.....Must have spent alot of time with one in my hands in a past life!

r7NXBL8h.jpg

ah50Mh6h.jpg

RHo3dknh.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

I went Saturday, saw some nice pieces, but if your mindset is such that "I don't need any new guns right now", it tends to cloud your thinking...  I should probably talk to someone about that before it gets out of hand.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Those old Marlins are SO underrated. Bad as I hate to say it, they are likely a superior rifle to the much more popular Winchester’s of the day.

In some ways, your right. The vintage Winchester 1894, will have a smoother feel working the action and is a stronger action as far as about never building head space within its 40K psi ranged ammo. But for the average hunter with minimum mechanical skills, the Marlin walks away with the prize in simplicity of bolt removal and smallest number of action parts. Especially in the era of mercuric primers, A Marlin 1893,94,336 owner can pull the bolt with 1 lever screw removed and make a exceptionally easy job of cleaning the bore from the chamber end within seconds of picking up a screw driver. The Winchester is a 30 minute PITA to do a bolt removal unless you do it as an often practice. Also, I like the fully enclosed marlin underside over the drop floor Winchester and the sold top side ejection over the over your head ejection of the Winchesters. Who docent love the Winchester 92's fabulously slick actions? Its well deserved but an old 1893 Marlin wearing 26" tapered Octagon and crescent butt recalls glimpses of those frontier BP muzzle stuffers that had tamed the wilds of this great land............. and a cross bolt safety didnt have a dam thing to do with it!

• Like 1