Carry History

JHP45

Curious what carry choices people have made over the years and feelings about them. What did you start with and what did you grow into? Was it worth switching models?

Here's my carry history by model over the last 10 years. Trading, upgrading, downgrading, trend following etc.

G19 > P938 > XDS 45 > 442 > G27 > P365 w/XL grip

The P938 ended up being my preference for the longest time. I thought it was the winner in the G43/Shield era. I bought it before the G43 came out and didn't see a need to change. Surprisingly, I ended up liking the G27 way more than I thought I would and ran that for a long time before changing to the P365X.

S&W M&P40-G23-G26-G19-M&P 2.0 9mm compact. Last one is my go to although a G48 will be in my possession tomorrow afternoon. I’ve got a couple in 45ACP that I’m still getting used to. 
Started with the 40cal cause that was “the stuff” when I started carrying in 2008. Took a while to figure out 9 was much more pleasant at the range after a few mags. Just stuck with it since 2010 or so. 

Kahr K40 - M&P Shield9 - P365XL (507K) and sometimes XDs45

I picked up the P365XL shortly after they were released.  I had wanted the P356 but never pulled the trigger (pun intended).  When the P365XL was released with the optic cut, I jumped on it and have loved it since.

Edited by Snaveba

Hmmmm...

SIG 239 9mm > SIG 239 .40 > SIG 229 .40 > Glock 23 > Glock 27 > Glock 19 > Colt Lightweight Commander .45 > Springfield EMP 9mm > Glock 19 > Springfield EMP4 9mm > Glock 48 > Springfield EMP4 9mm

...and a S&W 442 > Kahr CM9 > Glock 43 for once-a-year pocket or ankle carry.  

My carry gun is dictated by what I am shooting in USPSA/IDPA.  That may seem backward to some, but since I shoot +/- 10k rounds a year competitively, it only makes sense for that training/practice/experience to translate to my EDC.  Soooo I carry the same or very similar platform as whatever gamer gun I'm shooting that year.  

started with the M&P shield and haven't found anything else that I like better.  Round count over 10 does not interest me at all.  Just added weight.  Shoots well, easy on and off with Desantis Peagusus holster.  Goes at 4-5 carry or appendix with ease.  Lot of nice, small quality guns, but nothing I see as 'better' for me.

• Like 3

Cool evolutions in carry history.

The G43X with the S15 mags and mag catch interest me lately but I can't justify the full switch from the 365X form factor. Might still end up doing that just because someday.

Never had a Kahr but I liked the ones I shot. I always wanted a Kahr K9 in blackened stainless but the planets never aligned to make that one happen. I'm also one of those people who can't leave well enough alone and would have paid extra to put wood grips and tried putting the MK9 metal floor plates on the magazines. When pricing it out it became expensive quickly.

Way back when I started carrying, permits were issued by the Sheriff and you had to qualify with the gun you carried. My first carry gun was a 3rd Issue Colt Detective Special. It still resides in my safe, but these days its too valuable for daily carry. Its since been replaced in the line-up by a S&W 642 5 shot .38 Special. 

When Tennessee went to state wide concealed carry (1996?) I started carrying my Colt Commander .45acp. I has been my primary carry ever since. 

However, over the years I have experimented with all sorts of guns for carry. Everything from a tiny .25acp up to a big bore N-frame S&W revolver.  Sometimes I carry something completely different for a few days just because I'm in the mood for something new. Often if I feel like wheel gunnin', I'll carry my 3" S&W Model 13. To me that's the perfect carry revolver. The last year or so I've been experimenting with my Sig P-239. Its a very nice compact 9mm, but to be honest, my .45acp Commander isn't much bigger at all. 

While there are several guns that I might carry due to circumstances, perceived needs, weather, dress or mood; most of the time I only carry one of two guns. Either my Colt Commander or the S&W 642 revolver.  And to be honest, I'm gettin' old, fat and lazy. So mostly, the 642 gets the nod. 😉

(i) edit to add:(/i) I almost forgot this one. 🙄 Another gun I carry quite often is my Colt Mustang XSP. This mini 1911 is the only polymer framed gun I own and it serves a specific purpose. This is what I carry on my exercise walks. Its small, light and easy to carry. I believe the .380 cartridge is quite adequate for self defense. With its stainless slide and poly frame, its about as sweat proof as a gun can get. That's why I have it. 😉

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 1

Been carrying for about 18 years now.  First carry gun was a Glock 23.  Carried it for a couple of years and picked up a S&W 642.  That was my primary for nearly a decade.  Then picked up a Taurus TCP which has gotten more carry time than anything over the past 8 years or so.  Also heavy in that mix were a Glock 26, a Kimber 1911, and a Kimber Micro 9 that currently sees quite a bit of carry time.  

I found out quickly that I'm more likely to carry a gun that is easy to carry.  Honestly, I despise the .380 round, but it beats the .45 that I don't want to mess with.  If I'm carrying a .380 I'm usually either going to be in an area where I expect no trouble, or I have a bigger gun close by.  

• Like 2

OK I'll play.

I'm a firm believer in always having a gun on me, so that usually means something small and light and unobtrusive. A small  9 , snubby 38  or a 380. Any of those on me is better that a 45 left at home.

Over the years, Smith 37 nickel- Colt Mustang Pocketlite 380- Keltec 380- Kahr P380- Kahr PM9.

I just bought a P365 but havent shot it enough yet to carry it.

Edited by Tom B
  • Like 3

I go through guns more than I should, lol. Carried a .38 then a 1911 for years, then a full size 9mm.  Then back to a big .45, the FNP-45USG.  Then a newer 9mm, then a .380 for times thst deep concealment was/is necessary.  Then a compact .45.  Now a Sig P-365XL Spectre most days and a Ruger LCP Max when in certain meetings. I used to carry S&W .38 for years on the job til we switched to Beretta 9mm.  

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, TGO David said:

Oh geez.  I started carrying back around 1993 or 1994 when I lived in Kentucky and could probably fill a small gun store with the things I've owned and carried since then.

Yep, same here. Got my Ky CCW the first year they were available. 

Too many to remember, but my LCR rode the longest, about 4 years, and now it's my Kahr MK9 winter carry, and shorts and T-shirt, my Kahr P380 with Underwood 100 gr. cast, they're impressive.

• Like 1

Over the years, I’ve carried lots of different guns. But since I got my HCP, I’ve carried a FNS9> Keltec P32> LCS9Pro> S&W 442> Tisas Fatih> Taurus 627 >LCP Max> TX22> S&W 442. The last three are a rotation, pretty much anymore.

Started carrying legally in 97 with a Glock 23,after that a Beretta 32 Tomcat,S&W 642,Glock 21,Glock 30s,June of 2020 I went to GT Distributors and got a Glock 43x through the Blue Label program.It will take a pretty amazing gun to get me to switch from that.

On 4/9/2022 at 9:13 AM, Defender said:

I go through guns more than I should, lol. Carried a .38 then a 1911 for years, then a full size 9mm.  Then back to a big .45, the FNP-45USG.  Then a newer 9mm, then a .380 for times thst deep concealment was/is necessary.  Then a compact .45.  Now a Sig P-365XL Spectre most days and a Ruger LCP Max when in certain meetings.

Forgot to mention that I carried a .38 S&W Combat masterpiece and then a Beretta M-9 in my job for many years.

• Like 1

I've been pocket carrying a Kahr P380 lately, but as far as IWB, I've carried Glock 17's, 19's and 26's as well as an FNP45. Carried a XDS 9mm for a while but went back to Glocks because I like super low profile holsters like the Raven Vanguard.

• Like 1
On 4/9/2022 at 12:52 PM, TGO David said:

Oh geez.  I started carrying back around 1993 or 1994 when I lived in Kentucky and could probably fill a small gun store with the things I've owned and carried since then.

Any standouts for the time periods if you had to pick one per decade?

90's -

00's -

10's -

20's -

I feel like capacity was king, then the trend was slim, then the 365 came out and now it's why not both.

On 4/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Way back when I started carrying, permits were issued by the Sheriff and you had to qualify with the gun you carried. My first carry gun was a 3rd Issue Colt Detective Special. It still resides in my safe, but these days its too valuable for daily carry. Its since been replaced in the line-up by a S&W 642 5 shot .38 Special. 

When Tennessee went to state wide concealed carry (1996?) I started carrying my Colt Commander .45acp. I has been my primary carry ever since. 

However, over the years I have experimented with all sorts of guns for carry. Everything from a tiny .25acp up to a big bore N-frame S&W revolver.  Sometimes I carry something completely different for a few days just because I'm in the mood for something new. Often if I feel like wheel gunnin', I'll carry my 3" S&W Model 13. To me that's the perfect carry revolver. The last year or so I've been experimenting with my Sig P-239. Its a very nice compact 9mm, but to be honest, my .45acp Commander isn't much bigger at all. 

While there are several guns that I might carry due to circumstances, perceived needs, weather, dress or mood; most of the time I only carry one of two guns. Either my Colt Commander or the S&W 642 revolver.  And to be honest, I'm gettin' old, fat and lazy. So mostly, the 642 gets the nod. 😉

(i) edit to add:(/i) I almost forgot this one. 🙄 Another gun I carry quite often is my Colt Mustang XSP. This mini 1911 is the only polymer framed gun I own and it serves a specific purpose. This is what I carry on my exercise walks. Its small, light and easy to carry. I believe the .380 cartridge is quite adequate for self defense. With its stainless slide and poly frame, its about as sweat proof as a gun can get. That's why I have it. 😉

J Frame will always be cool and useful. I find myself going back to it especially in the summer.

• Administrator
11 hours ago, JHP45 said:

Any standouts for the time periods if you had to pick one per decade?

90's -

00's -

10's -

20's -

90's - I started with a Ruger P85 which was a gigantic turd, and sold that to buy a Smith & Wesson 3913.  The 3913 is one that I absolutely should have kept.  It was way ahead of its time and a lot of the slimline guns that we have now aren't near as good as that gun was.  We ended up finding another in the 2010's and bought it for my wife.

During this time I also owned an HK USP 40 and a Sig P226 .40SW.  Those were both really nice guns but heavy and not great for carry.  No one was making good carry holsters back then, as we know them now.

00's - This is around the time that my love affair with Glocks began.  I started with a G23 and then traded to a G27.  I quickly saw the error of that decision as the G26/27 trade away the best parts of their 19/23 brothers and aren't even really any better at concealment... so I bought G19 and that was that.  I still have my first Gen 3 G19.

My favorite gun from this era is my Wilson Combat Professional.  It's a bob-tailed Commander-sized 1911.  I still have that one and my kids will fight over who inherits it one of these days.  I wore this gun to my wedding.

10's - Hard to say.  My wife and I were a dual-income, no-kids family for the first half of this decade and were able to buy whatever we wanted.  I have a lot of favorites from the 2010s but the best is probably my Staccato C2 that I bought right at the tail end of the decade.

20's - Also hard to say.  Walther PDP is great.  I love my P365 XL so far.  The one that has surprised me the most is probably the one sitting next to me right now:  My Sig P320 X-Carry.  I never really expected to be a "Sig Guy" and I did not like the first P320 Compact that I owned, or the second one.  Third time was a charm, I guess.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I've probably carried too many guns.  I still have a bad habit of carrying about anything I have a holster for, but have more or less settled on the M&P, IWI Masada, and SIG P365 at the moment.

I'm in the same boat and a decade is a long time with some changes taking place so here are some:

1990's - Beretta Tomcat in .32 cal

2000's - Ruger SP-101 in .357 and Sig P-229 in .40.

2010's - Springfield XDs in .45, Ruger LCP in .380 and North American Arms in .22 mag.

2020's -  Springfield XDs in .45 and Ruger LCP in .380.  Don't see a change from these as they serve me very well.

• Like 1