3 killed at gun store/range

• Moderators

I saw that this morning. Absolutely tragic.

There is often a belief that a range or a gun store is a safe location from robbery. Sure, burglaries happen, but we tell ourselves that someone would be foolish to attack a gun store that has staff that is likely armed.

I suspect that as a general rule, folks have just been quite lucky on that front up until now. Working at one of these places doesn’t make you safe, it makes you a target.

There is absolutely a level of self selection with regards to the type of people that would make this type of play. The kind of robber that’s going to go after your local convenience store isn’t likely to try something like this and the numbers are that there are more of that type.

I don’t see there being great numbers of people who would make this type of play, the problem is is that those who will are the hardasses. I think it’s pretty safe to say this was most likely not done by a lone gunman. This was a crew and in Georgia if they’re caught they’re all up for the death penalty.

I hope these guys are caught quickly because I strongly suspect they’re not gonna stop here. They’ve already got capital murder charges most likely hanging over their head so there’s a good chance that more people could die before they’re done.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Wheelgunner said:

@ Chuck - Agreed on all counts.  Tragic.    

Reminds me of what happened at Harry Beckwith's gun shop in Florida in 1990.  Wish the situation in Georgia had played out more along those lines.

Is that the one where he unloaded on the robbers with a full auto rifle of some kind? I remember he had several encounters over the years. I thought of that story when posting this.

26 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Is that the one where he unloaded on the robbers with a full auto rifle of some kind? I remember he had several encounters over the years. I thought of that story when posting this.

Yep.  His gun store was robbed one night by a gang of seven guys in two stolen cars.  Beckwith, whose home was next door to the store, had a legal S&W 76 9mm subgun and a full-auto AR and fired 105 rounds against the gang, who tried to run him down with the cars.  One car was disabled by Beckwith's gunfire and the other car escaped but was found later with the driver dead from a .223 round.  This incident happened around 1990; Massad Ayoob wrote an article about it, perhaps in American Handgunner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Update: April 15, 2022

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Grantville Police Department announce the arrest of Jacob Christian Muse, 21, of College Park, Georgia.  Muse is charged with three counts of Malice Murder in connection with the April 8, 2022 triple homicide at the Lock, Stock & Barrel Shooting Range in Grantville, Georgia.  Muse has been booked into the Coweta County Jail and this joint investigation remains active and ongoing.”

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Whisper said:

That's good news, but I'm thinking there's no way this little a**wipe did a triple homicide on his own.  He must have had accomplices.  Here's hoping they get him to rat on the other vermin who helped him.

The act itself wouldn't be that hard. Especially if they were unsuspecting victims. Throw in a bit of meth and you have a disastrous robbery. He would have lost his ability to unload the guns locally and I doubt he has connections to Mexico. He was done the moment he pulled the trigger. 

31 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

The act itself wouldn't be that hard. Especially if they were unsuspecting victims. Throw in a bit of meth and you have a disastrous robbery.

Maybe.  But killing three people, loading up 40 guns out of the display, and removing the surveillance cameras still doesn't sound to me like something done by a single robber.  

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Maybe.  But killing three people, loading up 40 guns out of the display, and removing the surveillance cameras still doesn't sound to me like something done by a single robber.  

And it sounds more premeditated and thought out than a meth head is usually capable of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

He could have had people with him. Loading 40 guns in the back of a truck/van in 2 or 3 minutes wouldn’t be hard. He wouldn’t be treating them like prized possessions. Grab a handful and chunk them in. Repeat that a few times and done. The place is relatively protected from eyes. One guy could do it in 5 minutes. 5 minutes is a lifetime in a robbery and the guy wouldn’t have been able to hesitate. Who knows his true motivation. I hope they catch everyone involved. I also hope they resist. 

Just saying it could have been one guy. 

Screenshot-20220416-123145-Maps.jpg

Screenshot-20220416-123222-Maps.jpg

• 3 months later...