Xds45 vs sr9c

loadedp3at

Not a caliber war please. These are my choices. I am heading out west over this year with hiking involved. I realize that I probably will not run into 4 letter problems but just in case what is your opinions. Is more punctures better than big punctures on larger animals? I have read where both the 9 and 45 were even used in bear so if anyone has experience in this it would even be better.

Take the XDs .45!

I have owned one for six years and have put nearly 2,000 rounds through it.  It is a tough customer and reliable.  As to the number of rounds, I have an extended mag in mine so I have 8 rounds.

Plus, at only .9 of an inch in width, it is very concealable if needed.  Great package.

Again, take the XDs .45.

Edited by Choatecav
Add comment
  • Like 1

A hunting guide did bring down a bruin with a 9mm, using Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets.

If I were going to carry either of these rounds though, I would opt for higher capacity.  I have an XDs in .45acp and I like it a lot, but it only has a capacity of 5 or 7 rounds. I would not be comfortable with that limitation. The Ruger with the combination of a hi-cap mag (17 rounds) and Buffalo Bore 147gr hard cast bullets, as the hunting guide used below might be my choice, if I were limited to these two pistols.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Moped said:

A hunting guide did bring down a bruin with a 9mm, using Buffalo Bore hardcast bullets.

If I were going to carry either of these rounds though, I would opt for higher capacity.  I have an XDs in .45acp and I like it a lot, but it only has a capacity of 5 or 7 rounds. I would not be comfortable with that limitation. The Ruger with the combination of a hi-cap mag (17 rounds) and Buffalo Bore 147gr hard cast bullets, as the hunting guide used below might be my choice, if I were limited to these two pistols.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

I agree with this.

Two legged critters are more likely to cause a problem than 4 legged critters. You need a rifle for the big 4 legged ones. 

For the two options listed in the title, I recommend looking at the available ammunition that best fits your purpose and which pistol is more comfortable to carry while hiking. If your concern is larger animals, then either hardcast or copper solid projectiles seems to be the way to go. From what I have seen, there are better loadings for this purpose in .45 ACP than in 9mm. Either should be effective against coyotes or mountain lions, but they probably start to lose effectiveness with wild hogs and are minimally useful against bears. 

Considering that a dangerous encounter with any of these animals is unlikely, the better consideration probably is which is more comfortable to carry in a hiking situation. 

Well you asked for an opinion, so here is mine

In that situation, the 45.  Would choose 230 gr Jrn for penetration. Of the two calibers that has the most chance against something big and furry. 

Now for defensive carry in an urban environment I highly favor the 9mm with 115 gr hollow points

That’s why we have different calibers, for different situations.

Hello there, I’m very new here but getting older elsewhere! I just wanted to try and give you some advice, just in case your trip “west” ain’t Memphis! The reference to hiking (as opposed to running for your life) leads me to think that you’re speaking of the American West, and if so, here’s my advice: take them BOTH! If you come face to face with a Grizzly (God forbid), you’re going to need all the help you can get. I’ve been on several guided backcountry hikes in Idaho & Montana and they like you to have a large caliber rifle and a handgun serves in a backup role. For a day hike on a managed trail it’s really whatever you feel the most comfortable with. My rule of thumb is to always make sure that you’re able to outrun at least one other person!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have an XDS .45.  It has been very reliable with most ammo I 've tried (solid copper, not so much).  My rule of thumb is to pick the caliber that lets the blood out fastest.  While there are excellent 9mm loads that expand very reliably.  There are .45 loads that expand much larger than that.  And a .45 that doesn't expand is till a .45.  While a 9mm that doesn't expand is only a .36.

Neither is my choice for Grizzly.  But, I'd rather have the .45 than be looking for a rock or stick!

• Like 1
The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

• Haha 2

Got an XDs 4" Barrel 45 for a while, it feels like a commander size 1911 JMO.

Accuracy is very good at 25 yards, I carry it sometimes in the Summer.

The recoil is not that bad and so far has been very reliable.

My Wife has a SR9c that too is very accurate , the trigger is surprisingly very good.

25 yards that little pistol is a Tac driver , checkout how accurate the SR9c is , this dude use to put out some good videos on accuracy  his views on no round in the chamber are  another story.

https://youtu.be/u8tDakImqbs

Edited by Kano