Greetings to my fellow Tennesseans….

Today I made my first online forum posting, despite being 45 years of age. I’ve read many a post, but have never participated before. To be honest, these things intimidate the fool out of me. I’ve got no idea what many of these tabs are about, except for bold and font. I fear that I’ll never have anything slick to post…it’ll probably just be vanilla for me,  and that’s just fine really. I just hope I stick with it long enough to make some new friends and, hopefully, zero enemies! 

I guess I should introduce myself now. I’ve lived in East Tennessee my entire life, born and raised, and have a family myself - a 16yr old son and 14yr old daughter. Lord, be with me, please. I grew up in Walland mainly, and have also lived in Maryville, Seymour, Townsend, Rockwood, Alcoa, Louisville, and Oakdale. I call Sevierville home now, but, sadly, I don’t see myself staying here much longer due to the massive influx of Damned Yankees. If I sound a bit prejudiced, well, it’s because I am! Please don’t misunderstand me…I’m all for people fleeing government overreach and tyrannical tax rates, nor do I mind sharing the beauty of the ‘Greenest State in the Land of the Free’, what I take issue with is that our way of life is being belittled, stepped on, and ultimately destroyed. Goodness I could go on and on but I guess I had better not wear out my welcome in my first day. I’m sorry, I guess I’m just getting old and those precious values that I used to take for granted would always be here are disappearing and I just hate to see it because it’s one of the things that made being a Tennessean so dang special and now, like all good things, I see it starting to fade and it scares me in a way.

Let me try this one more time. My name is Jeff, I’m a 45 year old man. I really enjoy firearms, heck I love them if I’m honest. I own many, but not too many that I can’t take each one apart, clean it, check it, and store it within a few weeks I’d say. I’m not partial to any one manufacturer, I do prefer American but own several that ain’t. I really enjoy the fit and finish as much as I do making them go bang…I find that to be more and more the case the older I get. I’ve worked with metals and machinery since my first job, just over 30yr ago now, and I’m certain that has a lot to do with it. I’m a Christian, although terribly backslidden, but I hope I’m able to clear that up one of these days…I’m just very thankful that He is merciful….and longsuffering! 

Looking forward to it….hope I haven’t already blown it!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Thank you, sir. My first job way back in high school (that didn’t involve hay or tobacco) was at Dollywood in 1991. I lived in Walland at the time, but could make the drive into work in 25min, and that was during tourist season. I live in Sevierville now and can’t even come close to that. I realize that might sound like selective memory, lol, considering the amount of time that’s passed, but it’s one of those things I’ll never forget, thanks to my good old Dad, may God rest his soul. He had argued with me that I was driving too far for work, and gave me the ultimatum that if I couldn’t give him a call from there within a half hour from the time I left the house, then I would need to find other employment…so when I called him at the 25min mark from the Showstreet Palace, he relented. 

As an aside, I would like to make a suggestion to any parents of young drivers that might read this: I do NOT recommend challenging your children to such an ultimatum! Dad obviously overlooked the error, but I was highly motivated by the seemingly endless selection of beautiful young ladies there at work, and would’ve pushed my tired little old car well beyond its limitations in order to keep that job! 

Why thank you, sir! Thank you very much indeed. When I saw your avatar, at first (and being altogether ignorant about horse breeds), I thought perhaps I was gazing upon the very horse that belonged to one of the greatest Generals ever to grace this land (and my very favorite), the much beloved ‘Little Sorrel’. I realize my mistake but would love to know whom it depicts, both horse and rider, if you’re willing to indulge me, please. 

I admit my knowledge of horses are quite limited to the aforementioned, the indomitable ‘Traveller’, and ‘Bucephalus’, haha. I’ve always sought for quality over quantity, as I’m sure you probably picked up on! 

This place is great - I’ve so enjoyed he interesting topics and knowledgeable contributors as I’ve been devouring the older site content over the last week, and have certainly been impressed by the kindness and fellowship that’s been expressed from others since coming aboard! Thanks ever so mych

• Like 1

Thank you AJ, sir, and I truly appreciate the opportunity to be among so many like-minded individuals. I wish I had acknowledged this kind welcome message much sooner than now, as it truly is an encouragement and a delight to receive them! Please understand that I’ve become a victim of my own overzealousness with trying to get underway as a participant - haha as a result I find that I can’t remember which places I’ve made posts! 

Welcome to the forum. Funny thing is, I share your same exact sentiments about folks crowding into a nice ol layed back part of the country side. Difference is, I'v been being bit by that bug for the last 25 some odd years (before moving here) with a different line drawn around me on a map. One difference between this Yankee and some of the locals is I was hell bent on buying an existing home that ended up being about 27 years old back then instead of building a new local eye sore. Seems I'v left that new construction work to a good many locals with new found wealth! Go figure......

• Like 1
On 4/19/2022 at 12:24 PM, xtriggerman said:

One difference between this Yankee and some of the locals is…

Thank you for your kind welcome, sir. I may have been unkind with my comment on Damned Yankees (some of the younger folk may not realize there’s a difference between the two), and, several of the wiser and much, much more seasoned members did well to clarify the point with their replies…and it dawns on me that I should too. I apologize if I was rude, and to generalize an entire population of people by a single term is never a good idea, yet I have done so. I ask forgiveness and beg your pardon, sir. What I should have said, and will go on the record now to say, is that I’m ok with Damned Yankees (not Yankees) who wish to come to Tennessee (or anywhere below Mason-Dixon), so long as they leave their Godless, unchivalrous, pompous, greed driven, hate fueled, anti-American, liberal, sissified, dishonest, and now “woke” way of life/beliefs behind them when they come here, because that ain’t how it’s done here, as you have undoubtedly come to appreciate in your quarter-century plus of living here, sir. That is what I should have said in the first place, and again, I’m only qualified to speak on my feelings, but I can attest right here that I personally have spoken with many, many Tennesseans who feel the exact same way. So many that I’m starting to get confused, really, as to why these Damned Yankees “flee” their despotic home states, where they see the oppressive result of the aforementioned ideals, only to come here to for sanctuary and immediately start trying to push the same garbage on all of us! If this is what they want then they should all go the hell back to where they came from! 

Unless, of course, they’re coming for the express purpose of making Tennessee just like where they came from, that is.

Sir, all ranting aside, I thank you for the nice welcome, I really do. I am truly sorry if I was offensive and admittedly I made a mistake by generalizing. I didn’t come here to make enemies, and I don’t feel for a moment that you see me this way at all, but rather I consider you a friend because you have caused me to better myself, if that makes any sense. I should be more clear with what I write and I’m going to strive to do better. Going back to your post, I agree with you 100% and appreciate you looking to “keep the place as you found it” by moving into a home instead of building. I do understand that people have to put a roof over their head somehow, but I like the ideas that you have on the issue. I believe it to be greed, plain and simple. If there aren’t houses to accommodate all the people pouring into our state, then send them the heck on elsewhere! 

Seriously, here where I live in Sevierville, you go to the pharmacy to get your medicine and end up standing in line for an hour only to get told they ‘ran out’ of your medicine and to come back tomorrow. You go to the grocery store and all your favorite things have been bought up by someone else. I have the unfortunate circumstance of now living in a neighborhood that has an HOA because a bunch of the imports got together and voted one in! They see my neighborhood as a retirement community because they’ve retired and moved down here…but many of us are still trying to raise a family and they seem to have forgotten all about how hard that can be on your finances. I’m really starting to lose my patience over it. I’m waiting for them to try and tell me to take down the Stars and Bars….that ain’t going to happen.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JD_Shellnut said:

Thank you for your kind welcome, sir. I may have been unkind with my comment on Damned Yankees (some of the younger folk may not realize there’s a difference between the two), and, several of the wiser and much, much more seasoned members did well to clarify the point with their replies…and it dawns on me that I should too. I apologize if I was rude, and to generalize an entire population of people by a single term is never a good idea, yet I have done so. I ask forgiveness and beg your pardon, sir. What I should have said, and will go on the record now to say, is that I’m ok with Damned Yankees (not Yankees) who wish to come to Tennessee (or anywhere below Mason-Dixon), so long as they leave their Godless, unchivalrous, pompous, greed driven, hate fueled, anti-American, liberal, sissified, dishonest, and now “woke” way of life/beliefs behind them when they come here, because that ain’t how it’s done here, as you have undoubtedly come to appreciate in your quarter-century plus of living here, sir. That is what I should have said in the first place, and again, I’m only qualified to speak on my feelings, but I can attest right here that I personally have spoken with many, many Tennesseans who feel the exact same way. So many that I’m starting to get confused, really, as to why these Damned Yankees “flee” their despotic home states, where they see the oppressive result of the aforementioned ideals, only to come here to for sanctuary and immediately start trying to push the same garbage on all of us! If this is what they want then they should all go the hell back to where they came from! 

Unless, of course, they’re coming for the express purpose of making Tennessee just like where they came from, that is.

Sir, all ranting aside, I thank you for the nice welcome, I really do. I am truly sorry if I was offensive and admittedly I made a mistake by generalizing. I didn’t come here to make enemies, and I don’t feel for a moment that you see me this way at all, but rather I consider you a friend because you have caused me to better myself, if that makes any sense. I should be more clear with what I write and I’m going to strive to do better. Going back to your post, I agree with you 100% and appreciate you looking to “keep the place as you found it” by moving into a home instead of building. I do understand that people have to put a roof over their head somehow, but I like the ideas that you have on the issue. I believe it to be greed, plain and simple. If there aren’t houses to accommodate all the people pouring into our state, then send them the heck on elsewhere! 

Seriously, here where I live in Sevierville, you go to the pharmacy to get your medicine and end up standing in line for an hour only to get told they ‘ran out’ of your medicine and to come back tomorrow. You go to the grocery store and all your favorite things have been bought up by someone else. I have the unfortunate circumstance of now living in a neighborhood that has an HOA because a bunch of the imports got together and voted one in! They see my neighborhood as a retirement community because they’ve retired and moved down here…but many of us are still trying to raise a family and they seem to have forgotten all about how hard that can be on your finances. I’m really starting to lose my patience over it. I’m waiting for them to try and tell me to take down the Stars and Bars….that ain’t going to happen.

JD, thank you for the apology but it really was not needed, I for one am willing to take the beat down for moving south from my home of upstate NY to a place more conducive for good jobs/living for my 2 kids if thats what it takes to do. I have acheaved that goal in spades. I all so have stories I could tell and here is one. In the Catskill mountain region from where I grew up Hunting, fishing, Camping and dirt bike riding, a slow and steady infestation of city dwellers became the norm as you have now elaborated to a similar geographical effect.  So much so that one import who ran for town supervisor and won (88 square mile district) wanted to put an ordnance in place that would make it illegal to mow your lawn on weekends because the NYC week enders didnt like the noise in their week end retreat from NYC filth. Thankfully, it was shot down along with her position in the next election. Over time, I have come to understand the sound bite term of Dam Yankee is misleading as to describing a certain American population. A more accurate but still flawed overview is found in folks who were raised within dense city populations/suburbs. You all have your own home raised dam Yankees right here in Davidson and Shelby counties regardless of their new arrivals.  Over the years, the political race to enrich "diversity" of the populations readily took root in the cities as one part in the effort to eventually destroy this country from within. NY state has 12K more square miles than TN, yet the 13 square miles of its NYC population that is nearly double that of TN's pop. has dictated a annual Welfare cap of $46K to all those who qualify in the STATE. Its probably more by now. Despite the bastion of "diversity" that NYC is (34 percent white vs 66 percent other), its districts are some 84 percent democrat voters. You can refer to the ridiculous welfare payoff that includes percs like pet expenses added to have helped the political swing of the vote. Its the little things in life that matters to many of those folks to quote one of my past state incarcerated inmates.... " Ah gots mines".  As a retired  State Corrections Officer, I commend the past TN generations of yester year for their views to a certain degree more than most anyone here can possibly understand. Unfortunatly, the complete death of ingnorance only comes after our own physical demise. Untill then, the best way to sum up all this is a quote I use in my signature on another gun sight. 

" When we get piled upon one another in large CITIES as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe" Thomas Jefferson

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Love 1

Brilliant perfection, sir. Well said indeed. Here’s my question: have we made it to the point where the divide between ourselves and those who believe opposite as we do is so large that it cannot be bridged? Is this country so divided between red and blue that our only recourse is bloodshed? I truly hope it never comes to that, but if so, then so be it. Isn’t it telling though, that liberal ‘ideals’ always oozes forth from large cities? It seems like they just have too much free time and a lack of good, wholesome, hard work to occupy themselves, and the result is meddling on the affairs of others, as if we are just too simple and ignorant to know what’s good for us? 

My GP (how my Grandfather signed his letters), rest his soul, (and thank God he passed on before seeing the USA become what it is now) used to say, “Had God not meant for mankind to labor, he wouldn’t have dropped Adam & Eve in a garden.” 

Pet allowances for welfare recipients…

I, too, shall end with a quote. Something Ruth Graham said to her husband Billy (speaking of the death of complete ignorance, there are two whom await us in Glory!)….

"Billy, if God doesn't come soon and bring judgment upon the United States, He's going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah!”

Edited by JD_Shellnut
  • Like 1
On 4/15/2022 at 12:59 PM, JD_Shellnut said:

Why thank you, sir! Thank you very much indeed. When I saw your avatar, at first (and being altogether ignorant about horse breeds), I thought perhaps I was gazing upon the very horse that belonged to one of the greatest Generals ever to grace this land (and my very favorite), the much beloved ‘Little Sorrel’. I realize my mistake but would love to know whom it depicts, both horse and rider, if you’re willing to indulge me, please. 

I admit my knowledge of horses are quite limited to the aforementioned, the indomitable ‘Traveller’, and ‘Bucephalus’, haha. I’ve always sought for quality over quantity, as I’m sure you probably picked up on! 

This place is great - I’ve so enjoyed he interesting topics and knowledgeable contributors as I’ve been devouring the older site content over the last week, and have certainly been impressed by the kindness and fellowship that’s been expressed from others since coming aboard! Thanks ever so mych

My apologies for being late to reply to this, but somehow, it slipped by........

You are correct that it is not "Lil Sorrel" nor is that Gen Jackson in the saddle.....  It is actually me and one of my early warhorses.  I did CW reenacting in mounted cavalry for over 25 years and was with the 7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.  I finally got a bit "long in the tooth" for the rigors of such and decided to retire.  I miss it greatly but have countless memories that I cherish.  

The horse pictured was a tall Tennessee Walking Horse that lived to the age of 32 and went all over the country with me.  It was a sad day when he passed.  The horse that took his place is still with me but he's getting along in years, too.  Alas, the passage of time gets us all........

• Like 1
  • Love 1

JD, we could truly have interesting discussions. As to your question, I can only answer it from second hand information. My father was a Kiev Ukrainian who joined the Germans during operation Barbarossa after the German Army wiped out nearly 36 Russian divisions that were placed around Kiev to keep it out of Hitlers hands. It took 47 days to destroy nearly 700,000 men who made up those 36 divisions. Friends of my fathers who would come to the house to drink high balls and such were a Panzer Tank driver and an SS trooper as he himself was a Lieutenant in the Wehrmacht's 201st Schutzmannschaft Battalion. These men fought to free their homeland of Ukraine from the Russians any way they could and Germany had the where with all to do it. My take away from these stories that they on rare occasion would let slip from their lips was, there are only 2 types of soldiers that come out of horrific conflicts. An Atheist killer and a Believer in God. The grey area of the in between if not immediately dissolved in battle, will gravitate to one side or the other as the battles become more distant in life. A great many people need the fear of death to pull them out of that grey zone. The cycle repeats its self over and over again threw history as you all may well know. 

As God is all mighty and powerful, so is the Ruler demon of this world. When he sees the ability to "own" non believer souls, he will strike out with war threw his own living human staff. Creating Hate within the easy marks (undecided greys). That hate energy gives Lucifer the seed to make more creatures of his own kind and live within the earth's core.

The new American generations are ripe for this age old cycle of spiritual classification. Big tech has created a "heaven" in a cell phone and all the other comforts of physical ease. But thats nothing compared to the all knowing knowledge of being in the spirit of God. Kids just havent figured that out yet. But I have it from divine conversation...... its on its way. 

Christianity is fragmented into confusion today ever since the Pope murdered Cathars into extinction.

By now, some who are reading this might be sorry JD ever asked me a question! Well, it sucks to be them LOL. In closing to further answer the question at hand in the larger sense Please go to the 27 minute mark and at least listen to Erica's near death story for the 10 minutes that follow. Judging her from my own life experiences, she is 100 percent spot on in putting an answer to exactly who we are and why we are here.

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Love 1

Hello JD, welcome to TGO! I lived in Sevierville many years ago, from about '75 to when I left for the Navy in '83, did my High School right there at SCHS, cut class to slip away to Ellisons and get a big old burger and a soda, back when you could drive on and off, no fences, no gate guard. After the Navy, stayed on in Virginia because that's where the paycheck was, kept working as a defense contractor for Lockheed Martin and a couple others, but always wanted to come back. Really wanted to retire just outside of Sevierville on a couple acres, that is, until we really started looking there every couple of months. It's not the Sevierville that I left, heck, I can't even tell where Sevierville stops and Pigeon Forge starts anymore. I remember when Dollywood was Gold Rush Junction and then changed it's name to Silver Dollar City before it became Dollywood. But, as I've heard tell, "You can't go home", and they are right! We started looking a little further west and found Crossville, and decided it was just about close enough to everywhere, but far enough away, small enough, but big enough and ended up here. I promise, I didn't pick up any "damn yankee notions", but I've damn sure turned into a "flat lander" in all them years away....

This just isn’t fair. I mean, this is my introductory post! I feel like I’ve literally died, woke up in Heaven, quickly cast my crown at the Feet of the Lord (definitely not the plural, ‘crowns’, actually if I have even a tiara to cast, I’ll be shocked and MOST pleased…and confused lol), and then, skipping all ceremony and formalities, been ushered straight to the “Hall of Interesting, yet Cool, Kindred Souls” , and I’ve been given the seat of honor! Cheesy? Yes indeed, very! I’m known for cheesiness, but also for always speaking from the heart. I feel like a kid in a candy store, with a freshly stolen American Express card….I literally don’t know which of these great posts to answer first! I don’t have the hours in the day available to me where I could honestly do justice with a proper reply…including yours HiPower, hahaha! Forgive me?

xtriggerman - you’re my new hero…I’d like to sit down with you and have a real conversation…”off the books”, if I may be so bold. I covet the thought of it, simply for the sheer encouragement that , selfishly, I could glean from it.

choatecav - oh the stories you must have to tell! I would absolutely love to hear ANY of them, ANY time! I literally mourn the loss of “Old Blue Light” every single day of my life. I make it a point, sir, every morning to remember him as I raise the Colors anew each morning, and this is no exaggeration. I remain convinced that truly “Great Men”, like our beloved Lt. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, simply no longer exist….although I have to admit that I’m starting to feel hope again now that I’ve found a home here…

omchamlin - sir, I thank you for the kind welcome, and for the anecdotes regarding your roots and my current home…haha the ‘flat lander’ comment gave me a hearty chuckle! You’ve heard the expression “you can take the boy out of the trailer park, but you’ll never take the trailer park outta the boy”? We’ve all heard one or two different iterations of this, some much more shall we say ‘colorful’ than others, but you get the idea. In my heart, I believe this is also applicable with ‘mountains’ being the operative word. Your mountain home will always be in your heart, sir!

hipower - you, sir, are simply in a league of your own. You’ll have to dumb it down at least three notches when speaking with me, my friend, if you wish for me to understand. You are the first member here that I’ve transacted with, and you have set the bar quite high indeed! I’m continually flabbergasted (love that word) at the realization that there is an abundance of members here who have no problem meeting this incredibly high standard! What can I say except your wisdom and kindness is only equaled by your witty banter and supernatural (in this day and time) integrity, sir. I hope that I do not err when I say that, despite only having a few telephone conversations that I consider you to be a true friend…

snaveba - what can I say, sir? You just went on the record (that will literally last as long as the internet does) as being well versed in one of the greatest movies of all time! I love that movie! From spitting ‘backy on that miserable cur hound to giving those red-legs hell to sneaking up on that old Indian to the unforgettable “Missouri Boat Ride” (Lord, I hope that’s what he called it), that is a movie that warms the heart of many a freedom loving man! You, sir, also touched my heart deeply during our Resurrection Sunday topic…back when Pastor Chuck Smith was still here with us (what a tremendous loss to our side when Christ called him Home), I would sometimes catch the west coast live stream of Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa and the he would often recite the Blessing from Numbers 6…the same beautiful verses you shared with us on Easter. God Bless you for that, for I needed it! I need it every hour of every day…and I still fail!

This should cover everyone who responded that I missed this last go around. If I forgot anyone then forgive me, then post something else and I’ll keep the replies coming as long as people choose to bless me with their posts! I truly am happy with everyone I’ve met so far. Many of y’all I read, and enjoy so very much, although I try to reply only about every fifth time that I feel so inclined, honestly, for fear of wearing out my welcome. That would be horrible, and I pray that never happens. 

xtriggerman I’d also like the opportunity to hear more of your GP’s war stories…how do you feel about telephone conversations? Not trying to impose, not at all, but I have enjoyed the posts that you’ve shared with me more than you may realize….you have a worldview that is very familiar to me and I’d be dishonest if I did not say that, not only have they enriched my musings, but they have also edified me, as well. I can think of few higher words of praise, and none amongst my fellow man, sir!

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...