Ladies - Holster review from my wife. Comp-Tac Two O'clock

• Administrator

A few days ago I noticed that Comp-Tac [link] had added a new inside the waistband holster for small frame automatics and revolvers, meant for appendix carry. I mentioned it to my wife and she agreed to give it a try for her Smith & Wesson #442 J-frame revolver.

We both knew from past experiments that appendix carry works best for her and probably would for a lot of women. The natural curvature of a woman's hips and waist don't lend well toward carrying a conventional IWB (inside the waistband) holster on the 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock positions. Most women end up shoving the holster back around to the 5 and 7 o'clock positions or just giving up on IWB carry entirely because of this.

With a small frame revolver or automatic, carrying at the 2 and 10 o'clock positions in front of the hip bone allows the female gun owner to conceal the firearm and wear it comfortably. My wife has been wearing it closer to the 1 o'clock position to ensure that the revolver's grip doesn't stick out past her waist when she sits.

So far she's worn it for a few days while out and about with me and doing normal things around the house, and says it's very comfortable. Comfortable to the point that she says she doesn't even notice it anymore. As for me, when I can say that about a firearm/holster combination, I know I've found a winner. I'm glad to hear her finally be able to say it too.

Concealment is very good. She's worn it with casual pants, jeans, t-shirt, sweat-shirt and also with a light jacket. For reference purposes in the photos below, she is about 5'10" tall and slim-to-average build.

I'm using "guy terms" because frankly I don't want to get my ass shot off for divulging sensitive girl-stuff like weight or whatever. I suck at ducking and running and she's a pretty good shot. Probably even better when she's highly motivated (read: mad). :)

The cost of the holster was $60.00 + S&H direct from Comp-Tac and production time took about two weeks at the time of our order.

Photos follow...

CompTac2oclock001.jpg

CompTac2oclock002.jpg

CompTac2oclock003.jpg

CompTac2oclock004.jpg

CompTac2oclock005.jpg

CompTac2oclock006.jpg

CompTac2oclock007.jpg

CompTac2oclock008.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about IDPA holsters for the ladies? My wife would like to start practicing but the holsters we have now press the butt into her side making it a little difficult to draw. I have searched the net and found a Fobus (I think) that let the gun stand more upright but couldn't find it again. Any other suggestions? Once we find the type of holster we'll need to pick the pistol. She likes my S&W 5906, but we just picked up a 5903 which is about 30% lighter, hope she likes that one.

• Administrator

Farman,

Check into the Blade-Tech holsters using their "DOH" (dropped-offset holster) attachment. The DOH attachment cants the holster outward slightly and lowers it about 2-inches from the belt. I ran one of these for USPSA gaming myself, but when my wife tried it, the outward cant combined with the female form actually made the butt of the handgun perpendicular to the ground.

www.blade-tech.com

Farman,

Check into the Blade-Tech holsters using their "DOH" (dropped-offset holster) attachment. The DOH attachment cants the holster outward slightly and lowers it about 2-inches from the belt. I ran one of these for USPSA gaming myself, but when my wife tried it, the outward cant combined with the female form actually made the butt of the handgun perpendicular to the ground.

www.blade-tech.com

Thanks Dave. I'm sure I looked at it, but it's hard to tell from a pic. I'll go to their site right now.

That's exactly the one I saw. Thanks again.

Edited by Farman
  • Administrator

Cool. If needed, I can put together one of my Blade-Tech holsters with the DOH attachment and post some better pics for you. It really does make a huge difference in the "carryability" for female shooters. My wife used my DOH holster and Springfield XD Tactical to pass her HCP qualifcation.

• Administrator
I showed my wife the pics and explained it to her, she got on line and ordered one. They didn't say it wasn't in stock, so we may have it at the end of the week.

Thanks again.

Good deal. Let us know how it works out for her!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest dizzielizzie

I carry a kahr mk9 in a kramer IWB holster in the same position as tgo david's wife does, and love it! Have to wear tshirts untucked, but have been asked lately if I've lost weight (um, I've gained 'bout 30 ounces, haha.)

when I figure out how to post pics I'll throw mine up.

Thank you ladies, concealment carry options for women is an undertapped area.

I carry a kahr mk9 in a kramer IWB holster in the same position as tgo david's wife does, and love it! Have to wear tshirts untucked, but have been asked lately if I've lost weight (um, I've gained 'bout 30 ounces, haha.)

when I figure out how to post pics I'll throw mine up.

Thank you ladies, concealment carry options for women is an undertapped area.

Just go to a free image hosting website like PhotoBucket and register for an account.....then upload your pics to there. Under the photos that you upload, there will be three links you can use. Copy the IMG link of the pic you want to post and then just paste it into your post. Done!

btw, Welcome to TGO!!! :D

• 1 month later...
How about IDPA holsters for the ladies? My wife would like to start practicing but the holsters we have now press the butt into her side making it a little difficult to draw.

The plain-jane $25 Uncle Mike's kydex/plastic paddle holsters seem to work well for women. They are illegal in IDPA for men (due to excessive offset), but women are good-to-go.