Vortex Viper red dot on Ar 15 pistol, Anyone done this

Cevans

I'm in the process of building or purchasing an ultralight Ar 15 pistol and was considering sight options. The Ar will be 10-11 inch range with most likely SBA3 brace. I just happen to have a vortex viper laying around, new and unused. Just wondering what the opinion was on using this on the AR platform, most likely 223/556. I have an Eotech with magnifier on my other ar pistol and seem to have issues being consistent with hitting the target. I'm guessing its my old eyes as my son in law has no issues being consistent with the Eotech.

This build, I'm focusing on something ultralight, hopefully sub 5 pound range with sight. I won't be shooting anything past 100 yards and most likely not more than 50 yards, mainly a range toy...

I was considering a high rise mount with the Vortex Viper and trying that since I have the red dot laying around unused and its super light. Anyone with some experience here, let me know your thoughts.

As always, appreciate your helpful input and comments...

• 1 month later...

No answers here yet, but I decided to answer my own question for those interested. I just purchased a Wilson Combat Protector AR pistol in 223/556. I wanted to try it out and I got a riser for the Vortex Viper to install it. Took it to the range a few days ago and the combo worked beautifully. Both my Son-In-Law and myself found ourselves hitting the target with more precision and consistency than we could with my other AR pistol, Daniel Defense PDW with Eotech sights.

The Viper mini red dot is tiny compared to the Eotech, but the dot is super crisp and clear. The Eotech seem to always be somewhat fuzzy, even with brightness turned down. We both preferred the Vortex Viper and agreed its a good union.

But, the rest of the story. I carry both my PDW and DDM4PDW to the range in a soft bag. Seems when I finished at the range, I loaded both guns in the soft case and zipped it up. With all the ammo we carry in the case, its likely a 60-70 pound bag to haul around, it's really heavy, especially for this old man. Any way when I got home and decided to clean the guns the next day, I pulled out the Wilson with the Vortex and the glass was shattered. Seems the guns were loaded sights down and me probably dropping the bag on the floor shattered the glass. Of course the Eotech was fine, probably would be fine if I drove my car over it....So, the mini red dots are workable on an AR platform, especially a pistol, but beware how you load and handle the soft gun bags, because the mini red dots aren't near as rugged as the Eotech. Lesson Learned the hard way....sight was sent back to Vortex today for repair, will be more careful in the future.

By the way, I own several Daniel Defense ARs and have been a fan of Daniel Defense, the only issue I have with them is for the money, they should have a decent trigger. Several of mine have upgraded triggers, a Geissele 3 gun in one and a rise armament rave 140 in another. The Wilson Combat is their stock trigger. We had several people at the range shooting all the guns and over 75% preferred the Wilson Combat trigger over any of the others. I was impressed at the quality and fit and finish of the Wilson Combat AR Pistol, so if you are considering one, you will likely be pleased. I was not even looking at the Wilson for purchase until the store offered me a deal I couldn't refuse, so I took it home. I will likely be purchasing more in the future.

• Like 2
On 5/18/2022 at 9:03 PM, Cevans said:

No answers here yet, but I decided to answer my own question for those interested. I just purchased a Wilson Combat Protector AR pistol in 223/556. I wanted to try it out and I got a riser for the Vortex Viper to install it. Took it to the range a few days ago and the combo worked beautifully. Both my Son-In-Law and myself found ourselves hitting the target with more precision and consistency than we could with my other AR pistol, Daniel Defense PDW with Eotech sights.

The Viper mini red dot is tiny compared to the Eotech, but the dot is super crisp and clear. The Eotech seem to always be somewhat fuzzy, even with brightness turned down. We both preferred the Vortex Viper and agreed its a good union.

But, the rest of the story. I carry both my PDW and DDM4PDW to the range in a soft bag. Seems when I finished at the range, I loaded both guns in the soft case and zipped it up. With all the ammo we carry in the case, its likely a 60-70 pound bag to haul around, it's really heavy, especially for this old man. Any way when I got home and decided to clean the guns the next day, I pulled out the Wilson with the Vortex and the glass was shattered. Seems the guns were loaded sights down and me probably dropping the bag on the floor shattered the glass. Of course the Eotech was fine, probably would be fine if I drove my car over it....So, the mini red dots are workable on an AR platform, especially a pistol, but beware how you load and handle the soft gun bags, because the mini red dots aren't near as rugged as the Eotech. Lesson Learned the hard way....sight was sent back to Vortex today for repair, will be more careful in the future.

By the way, I own several Daniel Defense ARs and have been a fan of Daniel Defense, the only issue I have with them is for the money, they should have a decent trigger. Several of mine have upgraded triggers, a Geissele 3 gun in one and a rise armament rave 140 in another. The Wilson Combat is their stock trigger. We had several people at the range shooting all the guns and over 75% preferred the Wilson Combat trigger over any of the others. I was impressed at the quality and fit and finish of the Wilson Combat AR Pistol, so if you are considering one, you will likely be pleased. I was not even looking at the Wilson for purchase until the store offered me a deal I couldn't refuse, so I took it home. I will likely be purchasing more in the future.

Cool update.

I agree with you on the DD triggers.  I have a M4, V7 AR from them and love it, but the first thing I did was install a Geissele trigger.

• Like 1

Viper should work fine.  I have mounted  one as a backup on a 350 Legend AR.  It is on a pic at 45 degree angle to the scope.  I like it much better than the iron sights that used to be in the same position.

Sad to hear about the Vortex, but you hit the nail on the head, that was really more abuse than the mini red dots were designed for. 

Like @JustEd I have a Viper mounted 45 degrees on my AR as a short range option. I like shooting with it, and can transition pretty fast, but I've always worried about that thing hanging off my gun at an unusual angle, now I worry even more. 

Its now back on its way to be repaired, the day I used it, I really liked the mini red dot. On my shorty 300BO, I have an Eotech with multiplier. For some strange reason, I cannot seem to hit anything using that, but my son in law is quite accurate with it. But even he preferred the mini red dot to the eotech. He said the dot was so much crisper and easier to pick up and aim with, even with the brightness turned down the eotech seems to be always a bit fuzzy, probably just my old eyes, LOL.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, Thursty said:

Sad to hear about the Vortex, but you hit the nail on the head, that was really more abuse than the mini red dots were designed for. 

Like @JustEd I have a Viper mounted 45 degrees on my AR as a short range option. I like shooting with it, and can transition pretty fast, but I've always worried about that thing hanging off my gun at an unusual angle, now I worry even more. 

Burris makes the PEPR AR mount with a pic rail on top specifically designed for mounting red dot over a scope.  Kinda tall for me, but it is an option.

Hey, I use a Vortex Venom on my 7.5" build, works great, hasn't had any issues, and the glass has yet to scratch. Maybe the viper is made with weaker glass? I know the obvious difference between the viper and venom is overall size, but surely theres more to it than just that as to why the venom is like $20-50 more than the viper, but anyways, that's my comments for your project! Hope all goes well!