Army Finally Picks and It's SIG

Moped

About damned time! I never did like the M-16 or the 5.56 cartridge. 💩 

Sig makes excellent firearms. I'm glad they got the contract. I think I heard ( correct me if I'm wrong) that these weapons will be built in the U.S. Good for our economy as well. 👍

My understanding is that the 6.8 cartridge is on par with the .270 Winchester. A classic hunting cartridge capable of taking most any game in North America. It should serve our troops well. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Nope. Steel base, brass body, connecting washer. 

It’s designed to stuff something with similar energy to a .30-06 with 6mm ballistics into a .308 case. 

Yea but, is it reloadeable?  If not then that sucks for us wanting to stay with military calibers.  But, I would guess that there will be plenty 5.56 surplus.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Omega said:

Yea but, is it reloadeable?  If not then that sucks for us wanting to stay with military calibers.  But, I would guess that there will be plenty 5.56 surplus.

I'd think that would depend on how thick the brass is. I think one of the advantages of the bi-metal case is the brass section can be thinner? You also have to take into account the steel base. Looks to me to be about 1/2" long. You would probably need specific dies made for that cartridge to full length resize. But I do think it can be done. 

I suppose it is not a question of can it be reloaded but will it be practical to do so, right now I would say no, specially with the expense of the brass and the proprietary powder.  But when they fully field the caliber I guess things may get a bit cheaper, and more experimentation can occur in the field.

They need to edit their comments in that article, Russians dying daily 

The decision to pursue an intermediate caliber round came out of the Small Arms Ammunition Configuration Study, which emerged from concerns about body armor improvements among Russian and potentially Chinese troops.

where's the saw?

Runs up to 80,000 psi.  I guess that helps explain the steel case head along with extraction advantages.

SIG has found themselves a very lucrative contract.  How much battering can a weapon take in military usage at those pressures?

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

Kinda strange that Sig won both the handgun and long gun contracts. I remember the RFP for handgun was written in such a way that it was obvious Sig was going to get it. 

Sig quality does not impress me. My experience has not been great. 

12 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Kinda strange that Sig won both the handgun and long gun contracts. I remember the RFP for handgun was written in such a way that it was obvious Sig was going to get it. 

Sig quality does not impress me. My experience has not been great. 

We just got through inspecting and putting Loctite on the sights of the Regiment's Sigs, lost a few sights due to them coming loose.  

As an infantryman I've never been a fan of the idea that knew body armor used by our adversaries warrants a new more powerful caliber than the 5.56NATO. Since the time it arrived it's proven on the battlefield especially in the 21st century where it's done it's actually job in suppressing the enemy which is all it's really asked to do so that those artillery and aviation guys and gals that I love so much can blow the enemy straight to hell. Oh yea and I never heard the enemy celebrate getting hit by one either. 

Just my little spill on it but none the less I love shooting and I love weapons so I'll be excited when I get my hands on a XM5 and see what it's really about. 

11 hours ago, GooseGrim said:

SAAMI Specs are up on the cartridge already, looks like it's not polymer cased after all:

Microsoft Word - 277 Sig Public Introduction Orig 2020-11-11.docx (saami.org)

This explains the squarish box mags. I though they looked more 7.62, than 5.56.

Another question… Will the rest of NATO follow suit?

Edited by Moped