Honest Question - Grip Sleeve Extensions?

JHP45

Admittedly this is a bit of a rant.

Before I get going with this question I want to expressly say: This is not a knock whatsoever if these products or concepts work for you. 

I'd like to start a discussion on grip extensions in 2022

Question:

How many of you run small pistols with grip extensions, grip sleeves and pinky extensions etc?

Follow up:

If you had the option for a slightly higher capacity flush fit model from day one and got to hold them side by side in the store, would you have picked the smaller model?

Examples: P365, Hellcat vs P365XL, P365X, Hellcat Pro

Opinion:

In 2022 I think grip sleeve extensions make otherwise awesome expensive looking guns, look and feel cheap. Also, If you can't get your whole hand on it, you're at a disadvantage with current options. I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm happy that in this day and age that we have many stock options out there now to fit different needs.

The question is, why design the 10+1 variant first with weird grip sleeve solutions, just to release the normal version after the fact? Wondering if we'll get a Shield Plus Plus or a More Max 9 in the future.

All of the guns in question look cool to me with the flush fit form factor and conversely look retrofitted and cheap with their grip sleeves. It's similar to having a direct mount optic vs some gnarly bolt on metal adapter/mounting plate.

Example:

If you carry this mag setup,

spacer.png

wouldn't you rather have this? Same overall footprint, same magazine.

spacer.png

The Angles:

When I see pictures on social media, retail sites and print magazines of these guns that have grip extensions built into the design, I can't help but notice some obvious, make it look better with the angle photography. Which, hey I get it, make it look as appealing as possible. It reminds me of profile pictures on dating apps.

Examples:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Reality: Notice the overall footprints and aesthetic when look at it straight on. (pictures of these angles were harder for me to find online.)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Function:

I understand the idea of having a small magazine in the gun for concealment and a higher capacity backup reload. If this works for you, I completely get it, but do you actually carry an extra full size reload with you daily?

Wouldn't it make sense to upgrade to a compact if you thought your chances of running into that much trouble were high?

Background:

I like the Glock 26/27 form factor. I suspect that the the G26 influences grip sleeve designs on OEMs to this day. The G26 was ahead of its time IMHO at 10+1 with minimal printing.

This is the only firearm I've shot in the last 10 years that I thought made sense to me to have the pinky dangling. I shoot these guns well and feel right at home because I shoot mid and full size Glocks regularly. The G26/27 are also cross compatible with most of the parts from their larger counterparts, this is a huge advantage in a pinch. Example: G26 fits G19/G17/G34 Holsters. (This cross compatibility with the larger counterparts is not the case for the modern micros.)

Having said that, if I was going to do something like this to myself, I'd rather just run a G19 100% of the time.

spacer.png

To each his own. Just food for thought.

Rant complete.

• Like 2

My EDC is a 365XL, with a 12 round mag with pinkie extension and a Hogue grip sleeve. I also have several 15 round mags as backups.  I have big hands and the grip sleeve helps me get a better grip.  I like form factor and looks play into things (my XL is a Spectre) but its not ALL about looks. Like you said, to each his own.  I notice on some of the Facebook 365 pages I'm on, there are many folks on there who flat out belittle folks who don't have their exact same configuration...I say, whether i get it or not, if you like it and it works for you, go for it. 

• Like 2

I carry a Glock 26 with 15-round mag and an X-grip.  Why not carry my Glock 19?  It's simple.  I shoot the G26 better (point and shoot) than the G19.   That's likely because I've fired so many more rounds through the G26 that it's more natural to handle.   But I've had other people tell me the same thing; they shoot the G26 better than the G19.  I do carry a spare 17-round mag on me at all times... also with an X-grip added.

The benefit of being able to "pickup" any double stack Glock 9mm mag is nice in thought, but I seriously doubt I'd ever need it.  While it may be trivial, I'd bet the shorter slide of the G26 is marginally faster on the draw.  I use leather OWB holsters wet molded to fit each individual firearm.

I'm a firm believer in as long as it's reliable and gets the job done, carry whatever you shoot best.

As a side note, at longer ranges (well beyond point and shoot ranges) I do better with the IWI Masada (and it's green dot Holosun) than the G26 or G19.   That's even after putting a Leupold DeltaPoint Micro red dot on the G26.

• Like 4

I carry a sig 365xl with a 15 round mag one in chamber so 16  I don’t feel I will need extra mag  i also have a houge grip sleeve I have big hands and I like it to be thicker and a owb holster but what works for you is the most important. Don’t care what some troll says on Fakebook   Not cool  hope you find what you looking for 

• Like 1

Me not caring for grip sleeve designs is looking at my own purchase history and use as well. I have plenty of these designs and accessories myself. But I also remember the years I bought those setups and not having a flush fit option. With all the new models out, now we have choices and I notice myself looking for the non-sleeve options.

Also, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Total respect for that opinion. There isn't a right or wrong answer.

I didn't think about adding more length to some of the larger micro models like the P365xl for the purpose of grip since the XL is already the larger model. That makes total sense though. 

For you guys who have bigger hands, do the newer shorter compact designs interest you?

Like the P320 X Compact and M&P 2.0 3.6 Compact. Similar to the size of G26 slide with a G19 frame.

Seems like you'd get the best of both worlds especially carrying OWB. Similar overall footprint and an easier reload. Same mag in some cases.

Picture found searching G26 Slide with G19 Frame. If Glock made that, I'd be interested.

spacer.png

On 4/25/2022 at 1:35 AM, JHP45 said:

Me not caring for grip sleeve designs is looking at my own purchase history and use as well. I have plenty of these designs and accessories myself. But I also remember the years I bought those setups and not having a flush fit option. With all the new models out, now we have choices and I notice myself looking for the non-sleeve options.

Also, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Total respect for that opinion. There isn't a right or wrong answer.

I didn't think about adding more length to some of the larger micro models like the P365xl for the purpose of grip since the XL is already the larger model. That makes total sense though. 

For you guys who have bigger hands, do the newer shorter compact designs interest you?

Like the P320 X Compact and M&P 2.0 3.6 Compact. Similar to the size of G26 slide with a G19 frame.

Seems like you'd get the best of both worlds especially carrying OWB. Similar overall footprint and an easier reload. Same mag in some cases.

Picture found searching G26 Slide with G19 Frame. If Glock made that, I'd be interested.

spacer.png

I had the pm 2.0 compact it was too small for me gave it to the wife  no experience with the 320 compact I have the full size  and like it  as a bedside gun  my try the G19  good suggestion thanks 

I carry a 365XL with the 365 grip module with the flush 10rd magazine.  This allows for a pretty good grip with my hand and much better concealment than the longer frame on the XL.  During winter when I usually have a jacket I will throw a 12rd mag in there.  I honestly don't care at all about aesthetics when it comes to my carry guns, the available options provided by using the normal 365 grip module is worth it for me over the "cleaner" look of the XL grip.  I also carry a small sling bag with me everywhere I go and have a 15 rd mag in there.  If it comes down to needing more than 11/13 rds in a real world scenario the last thing I am going to be concerned with is how goofy my pistol looks with the 15rd extendo mag sticking out of the grip.

• Like 1

The design purpose of the micro 9mm is the ability to have an ample supply of rounds-say 10 or 12-without the size and bulk -

If a person wants to carry more rounds and their hands are larger why not just carry a larger pistol-

The concept of a hidden pistol is to keep it hidden-hard to accomplish considering a longer magazine protruding from the part of a pistol that's sticking out further-

I always keep the 12 rounder in my P365 to get the extra grip length.     I keep the 15 round as a spare.    Hated the look of the Sig 15 round baseplate so I bought one of these, just because a gun needs to look good too.     It lasted about a year or so before developing a crack, so I quit using it.    Kinda surprised it lasted that long.    

https://tactical.dev/products/sig-p365-15-pro

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I carry a 1st gen S&w Shield. Out of the box I thought the grip was uncomfortable and kinda slick. I put a Hogue Handall on it and loved the way it felt. It’s been on there for years and I wouldn’t shoot it without it! I agree that the extended mags don’t always look great. I’ll say that, for me at least, the little bit of extra traction I get from the longer 8rd mag does help control the gun. Is it absolutely necessary? No, but it makes a noticeable difference and doesn’t add more than a half inch or so to the overall length. 

• Like 1

Some of the guns mentioned are  a little like Legos for grown ups.  The 365 is designed to take the FCU and change grip modules/slides to fit your desired size/need.  The P320 has grip modules and an FCU for the same reasons.  Most glocks now come with backstraps to adjust the size of the grip to fit your hand.

I bought the non-pro Hellcat because I could put an extended magazine in it but couldn't chop the 15 round pro down at will.

I can use the flush fit 11 round if I pocket carry and a 15 round if I am going to put it on my belt but still print a lot less than my 19 with a red dot and weapon light.  But it is the same gun.  My time spent shooting that weapon both from a reliability and from instinct for the controls, sight picture, etc. carries over from pocket to belt.

A lot of people will use multiple guns from the same manufacturer for a similar effect.

Grip sleeves and pinky extensions just allow customizing the grip like the backstraps.  I have seen people remove some of the finger groves from a Gen 3 glock but not all of them to better fit their hands.  Looked really weird but good for them.

As for the full capacity reloads, you could argue most will never need a reload, but if I am going to carry an extra magazine, say with my Hellcat.  Why on earth would I carry an extra 11 round instead of a 15?  If I have shot my gun and felt the need to reload then it is probably not going back in my pocket and I doubt I am concerned about concealing it from that point forward.

• Like 1

I’ve never really seen the point of buying a tiny concealable auto and then bulking it out with extended grips, or far worse IMO, pinky extensions.  Maybe if that was your only gun and you had to make it comfortable for range sessions or weren’t going to carry it, but most of us have multiple pistols and are buying these subcompacts to do subcompact things.  

Makes more sense to carry an extra capacity mag as your reload. 

• Like 2