Do-It-Yourself Holster from Gallon Milk Jug

BACKGROUND: I like front pocket carry, but most pocket holsters print noticeably because they are so thick and sometimes they come out with the gun instead of staying in your pocket. Without a holster, the handgun can shift so it is not easy to draw. 

Years ago, I wrote here about how to make a front pocket holster from a one gallon milk or water jug. I wanted a new holster for my P365 with laser so I decided to share the steps with TGO. 

When finished, your holster will...

• Weigh less than one ounce
  • Add less than 1/16 of inch to the thickness of the gun
  • Will NOT come out of your pocket with the handgun
  • Can custom fit any handgun with or without a laser
  • Can be adjusted for pocket depth and preferred cant in your pocket.
  • Can be made in about a half hour 
  • Supplies needed: Scissors, 1 gallon water/milk jug, photographers tape

To start, cut out the side of a gallon water or milk jug. Include the curved corner where the sides come together. 

lJPjPv1.jpg

When finished, your holster will be this thin!

NGAMsYy.jpg

\

Edited by jgradyc
added photos

Next, wrap the curved piece around the barrel. 

zPL7nna.jpg

Cut another curved piece and wrap it around the trigger guard and laser. Overlap the top piece and tape it in place. 

OfdoUuz.jpg

Tape the two pieces together. Adjust the tape until the handgun fits snugly.

crVUCNN.jpg

Trim the end about 1/4 inch from the end of the barrel. If you want the handgun to sit higher in the pocket, leave a larger gap at the end of the barrel. If you want it to sit deeper, trim the plastic flush with the end of the barrel.

y39jiv9.jpg

Edited by jgradyc
fixed typo

Next, roll two or three little cylinders of plastic to add a "hook" under the barrel. These hooks will keep the holster at the proper cant and prevent the holster from coming out when you draw. 

xGpK3zR.jpg

Put some tape on it to hold it together.

B9dXMHu.jpg

Tape it to the lower part of the holster.

SeZoljy.jpg

JJtqwE7.jpg

Add a second cylinder under the first one. IMPORTANT: Big guys or big pockets might require a 3rd "hook" to hold the gun in the pocket. Put the gun in the holster and try it in your pocket. Adjust the hooks until the holster will absolutely not come out while drawing. 

5yp4teI.jpg

Front the top, it will look like this. Note that the "hook" curves in and the hooks are smaller than the holster. This prevents the edge of the holster from printing. You'll see what a great job it does at the end. 

niQH4EG.png

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

Assuming the gun fits properly in the holster you're done, you can now add the photographer's tape... also known as gaffer's tape. It's used to tape photographic lights to tripods or furniture WITHOUT leaving residue. This holster will look AWFUL if you use duct tape because the glue residue begins to show at all the seams and it will pick up lint. You can buy gaffer's tape on Amazon for about $18. 

In the photo below, I made two mistakes. I tore the tape instead of cutting it, which left a more noticeable line. That piece on the barrel end of the holster should have been underneath so I would have been invisible instead of on top. 

EDITED TO ADD: I think I'll use 3M carbon fiber vinyl wrap next time. It should look more professional.

gwWmneC.jpg

Here is the end result. Notice how I trimmed the plastic so it does NOT cover the mag release button. I've done it with the mag release covered and pressure against the holster can cause the mag button to release. 

XwMVhO5.jpg

Only 0.7 ounces!

Iqyk0CM.jpg

Very hard to see. Note that these are tight fitting pants and I'm a small guy. It would be invisible in baggy pants. 

pK9YVsL.jpg

SdmTN3E.jpg

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...